Are you vaccinated?

yourimagingguy

On 10/1/2021 at 4:05 AM, genuineguidance said:

It doesn't, but, the category here is "Covid-19 Discussions", so this type of discussion/topic is a-OK. (Hopefully, no matter what side of the fence you are on)

GG

Lolz I am viewing it from Aerial View.. 

• Like 5

On 10/14/2021 at 4:14 PM, yelocommerce said:

Not yet, just got recovered from COVID so doctor advised to get it after 1.5 month

I'm curious, is there any benefit to getting the vaccination if you've actually had COVID?

If my rather basic knowledge of how vaccinations and virus' work is correct, your body will have already created the exact same antibodies naturally that having the vaccine administered will do, right? Thus creating natural immunity. At least to the strain that you've had.

I had the same conversation with my doctor as I too had COVID rather early on when the epidemic first arrived in the U.K. I asked her the same question, and my doctor didn't really give me much of a response, and seemed to not want to give me one either. All she said was, "we still recommend getting the vaccine even if you've tested positive", but failed to give me any scientific explanation or benefit to doing so when I asked. Almost as if she knew she couldn't validate any benefit, but had to say she recommends it anyway as she's been told to say that.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, joshnadin said:

but failed to give me any scientific explanatio

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, I just studied science and got information about COVID - 19 from scientific research and articles. 

It seems like immunity to this new Coronavirus doesn't last long. If you were naturally infected you will have an immunity lasting for almost 8 months, according to different studies. But this immunity response isn't perfect and can be helped by vaccine. 

Another thing to keep in mind is that SARS-CoV-2 has different variants, maybe you've heard about Delta the most infective so far. Vaccines can help the body to better recognize the mutant virus. 

There are studied about re-infection to COVID, so vaccination is still recommended to people who got COVID because it'd empower their immune system and prevent re-infection, hospitalitaziom and the circulation of the virus. 

Hope this will give you an idea of the science behind the recommendation you quoted. If you have different information or studies, please share them. It's always useful to learn new things! 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, alphagev said:

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, I just studied science and got information about COVID - 19 from scientific research and articles. 

It seems like immunity to this new Coronavirus doesn't last long. If you were naturally infected you will have an immunity lasting for almost 8 months, according to different studies. But this immunity response isn't perfect and can be helped by vaccine. 

Another thing to keep in mind is that SARS-CoV-2 has different variants, maybe you've heard about Delta the most infective so far. Vaccines can help the body to better recognize the mutant virus. 

There are studied about re-infection to COVID, so vaccination is still recommended to people who got COVID because it'd empower their immune system and prevent re-infection, hospitalitaziom and the circulation of the virus. 

Hope this will give you an idea of the science behind the recommendation you quoted. If you have different information or studies, please share them. It's always useful to learn new things! 

Thanks for the reply!

I did a little research myself and saw similar information, but then lots of disclaimers that more research into natural immunity and the vaccines effectiveness is needed. Which makes sense. I suppose a large enough sample size isn't yet available. But the general consensus seems to be more of a 'we recommend taking the vaccine just in case, as we're still unsure' kind of approach.

The information that is available though, just raises more questions for me rather than answers. The official stance on natural immunity from country to country also varies. Some countries are not administering vaccines to people who have tested positive and allowing them the same travel privileges, whilst others aren't.

In regard to the different strains, that again makes sense. Virus' of course mutate, that's the nature of them. The New England Journal of Medicine state that the vaccines effectiveness against the Delta variant is 'unclear'. Just like seasonal flu where a new vaccination is needed every year to be effective, logic would dictate that the same will apply with COVID, as it's ultimately also a type of influenza and the fundamentals of how it operates are extremely similar. So to be effective, it seems new 'top up' jabs will need to be administered to every person, every time a new variant is discovered and a resulting vaccine is developed for that variant.

The more I look into it, the more questions it raises, and there just doesn't seem to be a clear answer.

For anyone reading, please don't take anything I've quoted, or my opinion, as I'm very aware that it's an opinion,  as a fact and make your own choice based on it. Ultimately, it's your choice. And if you're for or against vaccination, or anywhere in-between, the only thing I do know is that everyone is entitled to their choice and shouldn't try to influence others based of what they believe is right for them.

• Like 6