Do I have a correct understanding of the processes and limitations for a new U.S. seller trying to publish their first gig?

mandyzines

Question

Hello, fellow humans. I'm brand new to this site and could use some help figuring out the process of being able edit and publish my first gig, what comes from which authority and when regarding the W-9 approval, and where to go from there. My limited understanding and confusion comes from Fiverr's "W-9 Collection" help article, the "You can publish your Gig once you received a notification that your Form W-9 check was completed successfully" note on my first unpublished gig, and the "If your Gigs were paused, we’ll reactivate them once your information is approved" part of the email Fiverr sent after I submitted the form.

I'm assuming:

1) New sellers can't even save any edits to their first unpublished gig while waiting for the W-9 approval process, because none of mine have been saving since I filled out and submitted the form.

2) W-9 check completion and notification can take weeks, because I saw a post here on the forum from Sept. 9 from a distraught seller stating just that (yikes 🤪).

3) The IRS sends sellers notification of W-9 check completion via email, not snail mail, because that's probably why they ask for an email in the form.

4) Fiverr does not notify sellers when the W-9 check is complete, because it only states "your Gigs will automatically be reactivated" in the help article and I haven't found anything indicating otherwise.

If you have insight regarding any or all of of these four points, I would be very appreciative of your help. Thank you, in advance.

4 answers to this question

34 minutes ago, mandyzines said:

1) New sellers can't even save any edits to their first unpublished gig while waiting for the W-9 approval process, because none of mine have been saving since I filled out and submitted the form.

This is actually because the 'save' button is usually broken. It's considered a good idea that you save all text you're typing in Fiverr (or at least copying temporarily, including in the messaging system) to a document on your desktop.

36 minutes ago, mandyzines said:

2) W-9 check completion and notification can take weeks, because I saw a post here on the forum from Sept. 9 from a distraught seller stating just that (yikes 🤪).

I can't speak for that Seller, as I'm not sure which topic/post you're referring to, but from what I've seen that is not the norm, BUT you can always open a ticked with customer support and ask that they verify that it went through. (They can't affect speed or check status, though.) 

39 minutes ago, mandyzines said:

3) The IRS sends sellers notification of W-9 check completion via email, not snail mail, because that's probably why they ask for an email in the form.

Not sure on this one, I'll admit, but it might be a question you can include if you contact CS. Honestly, it's not something to be concerned about immediately unless you manage to really take off and make a large enough income on Fiverr in the next three months (2021 tax year). I do applaud you looking into it starting now, though.

43 minutes ago, mandyzines said:

4) Fiverr does not notify sellers when the W-9 check is complete, because it only states "your Gigs will automatically be reactivated" in the help article and I haven't found anything indicating otherwise.

I've not seen otherwise either. Check back daily, I guess?

(I glanced at your profile, and, as a fellow wordsmith, I must say I really like your profile description!)

1 hour ago, imagination7413 said:

(I glanced at your profile, and, as a fellow wordsmith, I must say I really like your profile description!)

Why thank you kindly for the compliment as well as thorough answer!

(1) This is actually because the 'save' button is usually broken. It's considered a good idea that you save all text you're typing in Fiverr (or at least copying temporarily, including in the messaging system) to a document on your desktop.

I've everything on an MS Word document, thankfully. It's good to know about the temperamental save button but in this case I logged out of Fiverr, exited my browser to erase history as well as cookies, and tried again a few times. Maybe it's a sign that I should...go on a little road trip.

(3)  Honestly, it's not something to be concerned about immediately unless you manage to really take off and make a large enough income on Fiverr in the next three months (2021 tax year). I do applaud you looking into it starting now, though.

This was an automated process at the very end of trying to publish my first editing gig; I didn't have an option. I can't save or publish anything. It really seems like everything is frozen until the IRS follows through.

It's like my engines were firing, then all of the fuel got sucked right out of my rocket. I've meticulously planned this launch for weeks.

10 minutes ago, mandyzines said:

It's like my engines were firing, then all of the fuel got sucked out of my rocket. I've meticulously planned this launch for weeks.

I know the feeling. Unfortunately, Fiverr is a place where you sometimes don't know there is or will be a problem until it's already upon you.

I can recommend a few Topics here on the forums that might help you prepare for a few of them, but navigating the forums to research on your own is near impossible. One of the best, though, is the UPYOUR series https://community.fiverr.com/search/?&q=upyour %40eoinfinnegan in%3Afirst&author=eoinfinnegan&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy (going to hope this link works, but if not, you have my permission to DM me and I can link the Topics directly).

Archived