How do you deal with impossible orders?

peetbee

Question

Hello fellow colleagues,
Today I had an order for which the requirements were so extensive that it was impossible to implement the order accordingly. I tried to take everything into account as much as possible, but the customer was still not satisfied and wanted to cancel even though he had unlimited revisions.

How do you deal with something like that when you get an order that cannot be implemented because the requirements are unrealistic?

3 answers to this question

Unlimited revisions have little to do with unmet requirements. If it's still a possibility, I would try to talk to the client and maybe agree on extra fees that covers all the requirements they have. Otherwise, even if it sounds counterproductive, I would cancel the order. When the ratio value/time is too low there's no point in wasting your time.

37 minutes ago, peetbee said:

were so extensive that it was impossible to implement the order accordingly.

Were you able to discuss this beforehand? I'm not sure about the nature of your order but if you promised to deliver what was asked (plus the unlimited revisions) the buyer would probably win in this case if brought to Customer Support.

Unless prior to the order, you were clear that you can only do X and Y and it would be difficult to achieve Z.

39 minutes ago, peetbee said:

requirements are unrealistic?

You should have not continued to work on the order if you felt that this was the case. 

Archived