How Small We Are - In the Midst of a Volcanic Eruption (When Mother Nature Eats Your House with Lava!)

smashradio

6 hours ago, vickiespencer said:

Congratulations on becoming a papa. Is this your first? 

We have forest fires too. 

Yep! Thanks! :D 

4 hours ago, ahmwritingco said:

Was everyone safely evacuated from La Palma? 

Yes, luckily, no lifes got lost so far. 

3 hours ago, newsmike said:

"In a world, where the earth splits open and belches molten lava skyward in an outburst of anger and raw destructive power...Only one man.... can save the world. But... can he save himself, from a past riddled with secret alliances and pure danger around every corner?  It's the white knuckled thrill ride of the year...... Find out in...." @smashradio vs the Volcano."  Coming this Christmas to a theater near you."

Rated R!

You have some experience with movie trailer scripts, I see. 

Nobody messes with DonLaFontaine aka God. If he said the island will split in half, it must be so. 

3 hours ago, newsmike said:

I wouldn't worry too much about that. The Obama's just spent $12 million to live 50 feet from the Atlantic. 

"Paid for by the assosciation of environmentalists for Al Gore and Idiots Incorporated."

9 hours ago, smashradio said:

Facing Mother Nature can sometimes be frightening. It can create sorrow, loss, pain, and even death. As I'm writing this, the volcano on our neighbouring island of La Palma is spewing out lava. It's destroying everything in its way towards the coast. At least one hundred homes have been devastated, 5000 evacuated. 

In a way, I wish I was there. As a journalist, I'd like nothing more than to be in the middle of sorrow, pain and destruction. It's my nature. At the same time, I'm glad I'm safe on another island since my wife is pregnant and expecting in just a few short weeks. 

Then again, I'm sure some of the evacuees who have lost their homes would be happy to switch places with me right now. Luckily, we need not worry here on Gran Canaria - for now. One day, Mount Teide - an even bigger volcano - will erupt. Let's just say that's an eruption I'd rather not be here to witness. 

While watching a video of lava eating someones home, it struck me just how tiny we are. How dispensable. How weak. We build massive skyscrapers, roads, houses, ships... We like to think we're in control. But the truth is, if Mother Nature wants to eat your house in a blaze of molten rock, she can. She will. 

And there's nothing you can do to stop it. 

My thoughts are with my island neighbours today. 

lava la palma vulkanutbrudd.jpg

its really bad

8 hours ago, mdminhaz05 said:

What is the situation there now?

300 homes destroyed on La Palma. The volcano turned more explosive today, spewing large amounts of ash and gas 4,2 kilometers up in the air. The lava stream is moving more slowly on-ground, since it's turning thicker. Around 6000 people evacuated. 

The ash could reach the other islands of Gran Canaria (where I'm at) and Tenerife tomorrow, so we're hoping the winds will turn, because it could cause problems with the air traffic, which the islands rely heavily upon for tourism, goods and logistics. 

The king of Spain is visiting the areas. Politicians making promises. Same old, same old from them. When the lava goes cold they will probably forget it ever happened, and leave it to the local government, which is - if I may say so - incompetent. 

I feel for the people of La Palma. 

15 hours ago, smashradio said:

300 homes destroyed on La Palma. The volcano turned more explosive today, spewing large amounts of ash and gas 4,2 kilometers up in the air. The lava stream is moving more slowly on-ground, since it's turning thicker. Around 6000 people evacuated. 

The ash could reach the other islands of Gran Canaria (where I'm at) and Tenerife tomorrow, so we're hoping the winds will turn, because it could cause problems with the air traffic, which the islands rely heavily upon for tourism, goods and logistics. 

The king of Spain is visiting the areas. Politicians making promises. Same old, same old from them. When the lava goes cold they will probably forget it ever happened, and leave it to the local government, which is - if I may say so - incompetent. 

I feel for the people of La Palma. 

You and the people of your country are in real trouble. May God keep you safe. Be careful. You are right that the government of my country does the same thing as you They never talk like people do. They think of their interests. The result is that we have to suffer. Whatever it is you will be safe and keep your family safe. Good blessed you and your country.💓🧡😰

I unfortunately know this feeling, as in my area we have had some massive earthquakes. I've had friends see their house collapse, some lost relatives, some are still now afraid to sleep at night (the biggest earthquakes happened at night). It's terrifying - you wake up, you rush down the street with your pajama on, barefoot, and nothing has sense anymore. 

I strongly recommend (to whoever has 5 minutes) reading this work by the greatest Giacomo Leopardi, "Dialogue between the Nature and an Icelander" : http://leopardi.letteraturaoperaomnia.org/translate_english/leopardi_dialogue_between_nature_and_a_icelander.html

On 9/24/2021 at 9:53 PM, francescaabb said:

I unfortunately know this feeling, as in my area we have had some massive earthquakes. I've had friends see their house collapse, some lost relatives, some are still now afraid to sleep at night (the biggest earthquakes happened at night). It's terrifying - you wake up, you rush down the street with your pajama on, barefoot, and nothing has sense anymore. 

I strongly recommend (to whoever has 5 minutes) reading this work by the greatest Giacomo Leopardi, "Dialogue between the Nature and an Icelander" : http://leopardi.letteraturaoperaomnia.org/translate_english/leopardi_dialogue_between_nature_and_a_icelander.html

Yeah. Nature can be a bit*h. It does remind me that there's little we can do to tame it, though. 

Archived