There's this fun game. (OK, not really. )

zeus777

So what's this "fun game," you may ask.

It's called "How stupid do ya think I am?"

When I get messages from potential buyers but I'm too busy with orders, I give them a list of other sellers.
Sellers who I actually trust and exchanged messages with.

This message says Chinese, hey dude, I don't translate Chinese, why in the heck did you message me in the first place?

I could have just hit report, but I did message him back pointing out that I only provide English/Japanese translations and therefore him
asking me to "give" him orders ain't gonna do anything. Then he messages me back saying "I translation English to Japanese too."
I'm sorry, I don't like liars. In fact I'm sure most people hate them. Hit report, goodbye.

Spam like this one is nothing new, but I think what made this one sliiiightly unique is the part where he mentioned the half price thingy.

mixi1.jpg

35 minutes ago, zeus777 said:

half price thingy.

That's so odd - just a few days ago I got this message 

"Hay I am young horror script writers .you can take my story and sell it .Take 50℅ profit and give me 50% pofit"

I'm assuming they were asking for work in a roundabout way, too o.o 

(Outsourcing wouldn't be worth it for me money wise but also... What are these people thinking?) Who's telling them this is a good idea? 

You know Zeus, I speak a little Japanese thanks to anime and Takeshi Kitano's movie (think about rude people and gangster yelling each other and what they usually say - I know that kind of language too) so, maybe I can help you. 

Just joking. I can't wrap my head around "desperate" people lying about their skills

38 minutes ago, alphagev said:

rude people and gangster yelling each other

Hmmm, lemme guess, stuff like "Bukkorosu!" and "Kuso!" and "Kisama!" etc etc? 🤣

So something funny happened,after I got that dumb message, I hit the report button and went on with my day.  About an hour later, I get a message from someone asking me if I can work on a translation. Sure, no problem.
Now I don't know if you guys do this too, but when I get a message from a new potential buyer, I always go check their profile. Now this person who messaged me was a seller too, and he (she? or maybe I should say "they" because according to the profile they are a "team") happened to be a translator too. This has happened before; a fellow translator asking for help for whatever reason. OK, so this person being a translator wasn't a problem but among the 4 or 5 different translation gig this "team" had, one was a Japanese/English translation gig. 
Yup, I got curious, clicked on it, and this gig had a sample translation image of an order from 3  or so months ago.
AND IT WAS TRASH. It had the Google stench, and boy did it smell. It was hilarious, it was some instruction on how to clean those dental mouth guards, but the translation said something along the lines of "dentist security officer."

I messaged the seller back saying I feel uncomfortable working for them due to what I saw in their profile, and hit report.
Oh the things that happen here in Fiverrland...

14 minutes ago, zeus777 said:

Hmmm, lemme guess, stuff like "Bukkorosu!" and "Kuso!" and "Kisama!" etc etc?

Of course. But not only those 🤣

14 minutes ago, zeus777 said:

dentist security officer

Oh, boy. What a talented translator. Could be a good source for a sci-fi novel 

3 minutes ago, alphagev said:

Oh, boy. What a talented translator.

I know, right!? Apparently that team has 15 years of experience. Wow, I'm so intimidated by them.
And they offer to translate 1000~1500 words for $5!!!!
I charge $5 for 100 words! I'm shaking in my fluffy room slippers.

57 minutes ago, zeus777 said:

And they offer to translate 1000~1500 words for $5!!!

Years ago I thought 'omg, that is such a good price for 'such an easy job'. 

Needless to say, I do not translate anymore. I learned VERY quickly that translating is not easy (and people will KNOW if you just happen to be somewhat good at both languages but know 0 about translating.)

If I had 15 years of experience like this team "does"... I probably would be charging that much just for opening a document!

Jokes aside, I really don't understand why people lie about these things. It's OK to be new (as long as you know what you're doing. People are wasting their time playing pretend and it's getting a little... odd, honestly. 

(dentist security officer though...I should write a story about one :P)

1 hour ago, alphagev said:
1 hour ago, zeus777 said:

dentist security officer

Oh, boy. What a talented translator. Could be a good source for a sci-fi novel 

Tooth problems? Forget dentist! Call DSO... Dentist Security Officer.. DSO DSO does whatever a dentist can, fixes teeth anytime.. watch out here comes DSO...

dso.jpg.b09323b14ebd3cf40bb010539abe3205.jpg

Archived