Jump to content

Buyer Requests....are clients finding a free loop hole?


bonnievkiefervo
 Share

Recommended Posts

Question....I am new to Fiverr and there is so much to read and learn.

(( this Example pertains to in my case looking for Voice Over jobs ))...when you are submitting an offer through the Buyer Request, should you be making a voice recording first of the sample script they have listed in their description for the gig?  I am asking because it seems that if you do, the Buyer has then just received a free voice recording of their script when they are just supposed to be looking at all of the profiles from voice over artists submitting their offers.

To explain further....Here is an example: You are a voice over Actor looking for gigs.  You see a Buyer Request that interests you and you click on their description of the job.  They describe what they are looking for and show the actual script they want recorded.  They have not yet paid for anything because they want to see which voice over talent they would like to use.  However, some voice over artists have looked at the script, did a recording and when they go in to create an offer, they can then select that video of their sample recording of the Buyer's script.  And so then the Buyer now has a free audio clip without having to pay for it. 

Isn't that a loop hole?  Am I way off base and completely wrong here?  Or does this happen? 

Just in case, I have been making offers by selecting my normal sample audio tracks, NOT by making an audio of their script.

What should I be doing?

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bonnievkiefervo said:

And so then the Buyer now has a free audio clip without having to pay for it. 

So... this isn't a loophole per say, but a pretty normal 'trick' - buyers do it all the time (even when they message you randomly). They want to 'make sure you're the right fit'. Most of the time you won't be! (well, I NEVER was out of the... many times I got scammed, so...)

This seems to stem from two sources, one is the obvious - buyers want free work, so they trick to trick newer (or even more seasoned) sellers with the promise of 'lots of work'. Two is... so, I THINK some very intelligent 'gurus' are telling new sellers to only send custom offers (and to tell buyers to wait with placing an order) if the work was done 'perfectly' - which is a way of tricking the system (if the buyer hates the work, they just won't place an order - so they also won't be able to leave nasty reviews. The two seem to come hand in hand though (and are very annoying for sure.)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, katakatica said:

So... this isn't a loophole per say, but a pretty normal 'trick' - buyers do it all the time (even when they message you randomly). They want to 'make sure you're the right fit'. Most of the time you won't be! (well, I NEVER was out of the... many times I got scammed, so...)

This seems to stem from two sources, one is the obvious - buyers want free work, so they trick to trick newer (or even more seasoned) sellers with the promise of 'lots of work'. Two is... so, I THINK some very intelligent 'gurus' are telling new sellers to only send custom offers (and to tell buyers to wait with placing an order) if the work was done 'perfectly' - which is a way of tricking the system (if the buyer hates the work, they just won't place an order - so they also won't be able to leave nasty reviews. The two seem to come hand in hand though (and are very annoying for sure.)

good to know, thank you! So.. what do (you) do?  What do you suggest?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bonnievkiefervo said:

So.. what do (you) do?  What do you suggest?

For BRs I don't really have much advice since I don't reply to them anymore (creative writing BR is...one messed up place), but for random messages, I always let them know that I can write a sample for x dollars. Now, of course, if you're starting out - some buyers might need some extra samples from you to make sure you really are GOOD at what you do, but if they send you a script themselves, that (for me at least) would be a red flag! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, oliver_aurora said:

You can actually make a recording of another topic and send to the buyer. it is not necessary to send the exact sample needed by the the buyer. You make a different sample and send to the buyer. If interested, he'll contact you

yes I mentioned that in my post that's what I am doing (just in case...) so that I don't play into the potential of doing it for free : )

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, katakatica said:

For BRs I don't really have much advice since I don't reply to them anymore (creative writing BR is...one messed up place), but for random messages, I always let them know that I can write a sample for x dollars. Now, of course, if you're starting out - some buyers might need some extra samples from you to make sure you really are GOOD at what you do, but if they send you a script themselves, that (for me at least) would be a red flag! 

Got it, thank you

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bonnievkiefervo said:

Question....I am new to Fiverr and there is so much to read and learn.

(( this Example pertains to in my case looking for Voice Over jobs ))...when you are submitting an offer through the Buyer Request, should you be making a voice recording first of the sample script they have listed in their description for the gig?  I am asking because it seems that if you do, the Buyer has then just received a free voice recording of their script when they are just supposed to be looking at all of the profiles from voice over artists submitting their offers.

To explain further....Here is an example: You are a voice over Actor looking for gigs.  You see a Buyer Request that interests you and you click on their description of the job.  They describe what they are looking for and show the actual script they want recorded.  They have not yet paid for anything because they want to see which voice over talent they would like to use.  However, some voice over artists have looked at the script, did a recording and when they go in to create an offer, they can then select that video of their sample recording of the Buyer's script.  And so then the Buyer now has a free audio clip without having to pay for it. 

Isn't that a loop hole?  Am I way off base and completely wrong here?  Or does this happen? 

Just in case, I have been making offers by selecting my normal sample audio tracks, NOT by making an audio of their script.

What should I be doing?

I'm new and have responded to some of the Buyer's Requests, however, I may have missed it, but I don't see anyway to attach a sample read. If I could, I would simply record a portion of the script, just like an audition. This way, it's for review purposes only and not usable.

Can you tell me how and where an audio file can be attached to a Buyer's Request?

Lisa 💚

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, katakatica said:

So... this isn't a loophole per say, but a pretty normal 'trick' - buyers do it all the time (even when they message you randomly). They want to 'make sure you're the right fit'. Most of the time you won't be! (well, I NEVER was out of the... many times I got scammed, so...)

This seems to stem from two sources, one is the obvious - buyers want free work, so they trick to trick newer (or even more seasoned) sellers with the promise of 'lots of work'. Two is... so, I THINK some very intelligent 'gurus' are telling new sellers to only send custom offers (and to tell buyers to wait with placing an order) if the work was done 'perfectly' - which is a way of tricking the system (if the buyer hates the work, they just won't place an order - so they also won't be able to leave nasty reviews. The two seem to come hand in hand though (and are very annoying for sure.)

Hello

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, lisahernandezvo said:

I'm new and have responded to some of the Buyer's Requests, however, I may have missed it, but I don't see anyway to attach a sample read. If I could, I would simply record a portion of the script, just like an audition. This way, it's for review purposes only and not usable.

Can you tell me how and where an audio file can be attached to a Buyer's Request?

Lisa 💚

Lisa that's my bad....I thought that when you select the Send Offer button, it pulls up the videos from your profile (to then send to them as samples of your work), but I just double checked and they are only the thumbnails LOL....this is why I am considered a "Newbie" haha. So I guess we just have to be aware of what we send through messages if the Buyer has not actually paid for your work yet and is just wanting to hear how you would sound using their script.  I mean, I don't mind doing a line or a few lines (of voice over recording), but if they send A LOT, then >> note to self... they might be trying to scam for free lol

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, bonnievkiefervo said:

Lisa that's my bad....I thought that when you select the Send Offer button, it pulls up the videos from your profile (to then send to them as samples of your work), but I just double checked and they are only the thumbnails LOL....this is why I am considered a "Newbie" haha. So I guess we just have to be aware of what we send through messages if the Buyer has not actually paid for your work yet and is just wanting to hear how you would sound using their script.  I mean, I don't mind doing a line or a few lines (of voice over recording), but if they send A LOT, then >> note to self... they might be trying to scam for free lol

I would like to send a sample recording of their script, especially when they ask for it, but I can't see a way to do it, either on the Fiverr app or on the website. Maybe someone else can chime in and provide some guidance. 🙂

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, lisahernandezvo said:

I would like to send a sample recording of their script, especially when they ask for it, but I can't see a way to do it, either on the Fiverr app or on the website. Maybe someone else can chime in and provide some guidance. 🙂

I know that if they message you, you can attach your file there by clicking the paper clip symbol in the bottom right hand corner of the message

Edited by bonnievkiefervo
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, bonnievkiefervo said:

I know that if they message you, you can attach your file there by clicking the paper clip symbol in the bottom right hand corner of the message

That's what I've been thinking, so I let them know that if they message me, I can then send a sample recording. I do wish that there was a way to send it in the initial response.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bonnievkiefervo said:

Question....I am new to Fiverr and there is so much to read and learn.

(( this Example pertains to in my case looking for Voice Over jobs ))...when you are submitting an offer through the Buyer Request, should you be making a voice recording first of the sample script they have listed in their description for the gig?  I am asking because it seems that if you do, the Buyer has then just received a free voice recording of their script when they are just supposed to be looking at all of the profiles from voice over artists submitting their offers.

To explain further....Here is an example: You are a voice over Actor looking for gigs.  You see a Buyer Request that interests you and you click on their description of the job.  They describe what they are looking for and show the actual script they want recorded.  They have not yet paid for anything because they want to see which voice over talent they would like to use.  However, some voice over artists have looked at the script, did a recording and when they go in to create an offer, they can then select that video of their sample recording of the Buyer's script.  And so then the Buyer now has a free audio clip without having to pay for it. 

Isn't that a loop hole?  Am I way off base and completely wrong here?  Or does this happen? 

Just in case, I have been making offers by selecting my normal sample audio tracks, NOT by making an audio of their script.

What should I be doing?

Doing auditions in the voice over world is nothing new. However, on Fiverr, I don't do free auditions. This is simply because of the way Fiverr works: prices are often lower than you would expect elsewhere. If I'm spending 2 hours doing auditions (unpaid work) to land a single 2000 dollar job, that's worth it. But to audition for a 50 dollar gig on Fiverr? Nope. 

The only reason I can offer what I do on Fiverr is because I work differently here (and I love it!). I don't do free auditions, meaning I don't spend a second in my booth without getting paid for it first. 

If the buyer is asking you to submit an audition/custom demo, you should be happy to do so, if they place an order. I offer auditions on Fiverr for 10 dollars. If they don't want to pay for that in order to hear what I can do for them, they are free to listen to my demos, or pay me 2000 dollars on another platform. Most buyers will happily pay the fee for the audition, or even just make a regular order based on my demos. 

Rule #1: Don't work for free. 

P.S. When I'm sending an audition that's not being paid for, I always change something up. So if their script says I have to say "Wallmart", I'll say "Hallkart" or something like that. 

 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...