A question for the busy Fiverr sellers...

callyofficial

Question

How do you cope with the balance of responding quickly to inbox messages and getting your work done when you have lots of orders?

I like to respond as soon as I can, and try to only visit the inbox between orders so I can be focused with each job, but this isn't always easy, especially with buyers that have lots of questions or like to chat. I don't like to come across as unfriendly or cut buyers off in the middle of a discussion to carry on with work, so this can be tricky at times.

I have thought of putting up prices to slow orders and enquiries down, but wondering if any of the busy sellers have other suggestions or ways to deal with this?

6 answers to this question

I answer new Fiverr messages three times per day at set times. If someone responds to me while I'm still on the site, I respond to them right away. If not, I answer them during the next communication period on my schedule.

Very few real buyers want to chat for extended periods of time. I try to give them full information after their first inquiry.

Do I lose some buyers because I'm not on the site 24/7 answering within seconds? Perhaps, but I only earn money for deliveries, not chatting. I have enough to do anyway.

Raising  prices is a viable strategy to get better buyers and higher overall income, in my experience.

1 minute ago, melanielm said:

"...I only earn money for deliveries, not chatting. I have enough to do anyway."

Honestly, this is often how I feel when I have buyers trying to chat up a storm with me, or buyers who send me messages several times throughout the day just to ask me if I like the story they wrote (I do manuscript editing). 

1. It's not about if I like the story, you're paying me to proofread and edit your manuscript. I'm an editor, not a reviewer. 

2. If you keep bothering me, that timer is gonna run out and I won't be able to complete your order in time, and neither one of us wants that! 

I definitely try to stay friendly, but sometimes you do just have to tell them that you're sorry you can't hold conversation very well because you're busy. Usually they'll understand if you explain you're trying to stay on time/meet the deadline. If not, then I just wouldn't work with that buyer again, to be honest. 

39 minutes ago, callyofficial said:

How do you cope with the balance of responding quickly to inbox messages and getting your work done when you have lots of orders?

Depends. 

My customers are nerds...and I am one, too - so I oftend end up being the chatty/enthusiastic one (especially if it's a new project that is genuinely up my ally.) 

I do try to let customers know at some point that I can't ALWAYS be online -and most of them understand. My main issue is that I often get messages right as I'm waking up and that's always messy! That being said, I usually have the site open, but if I'm writing (or even cooking, etc.) I'll let them know I'll be back in x time (and cross my fingers I'll actualy remember and be back by then. But usually I am!) 

I have two quick responses that I use when I am too busy to interact with a person messaging me. Here they are:a

Hello,  

Thank you so much for messaging me.  

Currently, I am in contact with another person, but I wanted you to know that I am not ignoring you. 

I’ll be happy to get back to you as soon as I can. 

Hi,

Thanks for contacting me.

I am currently using my phone app to stay in touch while I am away from my computer.

I will be back soon.

1 hour ago, vickiespencer said:

I have two quick responses that I use when I am too busy to interact with a person messaging me. Here they are:a

Hello,  

Thank you so much for messaging me.  

Currently, I am in contact with another person, but I wanted you to know that I am not ignoring you. 

I’ll be happy to get back to you as soon as I can. 

Hi,

Thanks for contacting me.

I am currently using my phone app to stay in touch while I am away from my computer.

I will be back soon.

Love those, great idea!

3 hours ago, callyofficial said:

I like to respond as soon as I can, and try to only visit the inbox between orders so I can be focused with each job, but this isn't always easy, especially with buyers that have lots of questions or like to chat. I don't like to come across as unfriendly or cut buyers off in the middle of a discussion to carry on with work, so this can be tricky at times.

I have thought of putting up prices to slow orders and enquiries down, but wondering if any of the busy sellers have other suggestions or ways to deal with this?

I check and respond to new messages every hour during my work hours. Outside of work hours I respond to messages when they come in, from my phone, unless I'm doing something else that's important. 

It helps me get that nice "one hour" response time and still allows me to work. 

If a buyer has lots of questions, it depends entirely on the project. If I think it's worthwhile I'll take the time to respond faster (basically viewing the conversation as a task I have to do). 

If it's a low paying project they have to wait until my next round of inbox-checking. I mute my browser tab with Fiverr if I'm working, to not get distracted. 

At night my phone is always set to silent (11pm - 08am) and you won't get any signs of life out of me. 

If you have too much to do, that's a good sign that the time is right to increase your rates. Up them by 10-25%. You might lose a couple of regulars, but you will earn more on the orders you're already getting. And new buyers will come at your new rate, too. When the circle repeats itself, you can up your rates again. I review my rates once every six months, and if I see that I have more than enough work, I'll increase my rates a bit. 

Archived