MacBooks v.s. Windows

kai990

You're comparing a model of laptop with an operating system. The question should be MacOs vs Windows. Personally I prefer Mac OS, it's very stable, things work just fine, and the software and hardware ecosystem is great. Now with the new apple silicon, it's also the best choice in terms of bang for the buck, by far.

8 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

You're comparing a model of laptop with an operating system. The question should be MacOs vs Windows. Personally I prefer Mac OS, it's very stable, things work just fine, and the software and hardware ecosystem is great. Now with the new apple silicon, it's also the best choice in terms of bang for the buck, by far.

Ahhh whoopsies, yep, I meant macOS, thank you for correcting me! 🤣

Thank you for sharing your opinion! I’m always curious about which operating system people prefer. 

40 minutes ago, kai990 said:

Exactly what the title says, which do you prefer and why? I’d love to hear your opinions! 😁

NO, NOT EXACTLY WHAT THE TITLE SAYS, I MEANT MACOS V.S. WINDOWS, AHHH!! 😤

Still, state your opinions below. 🙂

I’ve been a Mac user since 2013. Before that, it was mostly Windows. 

Mac mini made me switch. I just fell in love with the idea that you can have, essentially, a proper desktop computer that is so small that it can be carried around and takes next to no space on the table. I don’t work with video footage or use it for serious gaming but it’s strong enough for animation and steam store games. 

I regularly use both MacOS and Windows.

I find MacOS more suitable for professional use. Audio performance is rock solid and way more stable than on Windows, and most apps are available and native (Audition, Pro Tools, even Logic as an exclusive). 

For personal use, I use Windows for the ease of PC configurability and because I'm quite a gamer. I have a Ryzen 5950X and an RTX3090, that rig simply doesn't exist in the MacOS ecosystem. Don't really want to dive into the Hackintosh/VM hole. 

9 hours ago, kai990 said:

Exactly what the title says, which do you prefer and why? I’d love to hear your opinions! 😁

Windows, all the way. I'm sure Macs are great, too, but there's a lot to be said for the freedom you get outside the Apple ecosystem. In addition, the repairability is much better with PCs, and you get more bang for your buck. 

If you're using mac for software reasons (i.e. your apps can only be found for mac or work better with a mac) I get it. I can also see why people would prefer to have every device in the same ecosystem. Windows is lacking in that area, but Windows 11 with its ability to run Android apps + Samsungs integration with Windows have made things easier. 

6 hours ago, surajkartha said:

Windows.. for the ease of use mainly.. plus it supports certain apps I use that macOS doesn't.. (but I find macOS cool too)

That is true, for example, I find that Windows supports a lot more Steam games than macOS does. Either way, that’s probably only a concern if you’re a gamer, haha. Therefore yes, macOS can be cool!

2 hours ago, lenasemenkova said:

I’ve been a Mac user since 2013. Before that, it was mostly Windows. 

Mac mini made me switch. I just fell in love with the idea that you can have, essentially, a proper desktop computer that is so small that it can be carried around and takes next to no space on the table. I don’t work with video footage or use it for serious gaming but it’s strong enough for animation and steam store games. 

Ah, that does sound nice, especially if you’re using it for college or if you’re constantly moving around. I have heard that when it comes to animation, macOS can be great. And since you say that you don’t use your laptop for serious gaming, I’m sure that the macOS will be fine. 

What kind of Steam games do you play on the Mac? I’m curious to see which ones are available.

2 hours ago, torrelles said:

I regularly use both MacOS and Windows.

I find MacOS more suitable for professional use. Audio performance is rock solid and way more stable than on Windows, and most apps are available and native (Audition, Pro Tools, even Logic as an exclusive). 

For personal use, I use Windows for the ease of PC configurability and because I'm quite a gamer. I have a Ryzen 5950X and an RTX3090, that rig simply doesn't exist in the MacOS ecosystem. Don't really want to dive into the Hackintosh/VM hole. 

Ooo, you’re lucky that you get to use both!

I definitely agree with you that Windows is good for gaming and has easier PC configurability. And I guess I have seen macOS everywhere for professional use, so maybe it really is more suitable for it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

1 hour ago, smashradio said:

Windows, all the way. I'm sure Macs are great, too, but there's a lot to be said for the freedom you get outside the Apple ecosystem. In addition, the repairability is much better with PCs, and you get more bang for your buck. 

If you're using mac for software reasons (i.e. your apps can only be found for mac or work better with a mac) I get it. I can also see why people would prefer to have every device in the same ecosystem. Windows is lacking in that area, but Windows 11 with its ability to run Android apps + Samsungs integration with Windows have made things easier. 

Me too man, I prefer Windows as well. I also like how they can be cheaper than the Apple products.

Yeah, there are certain apps that probably work better on a Mac, and if a person isn’t really a gamer, then depending on their profession or their interests, a Mac could end up better for them. If a person is a serious gamer though, Windows is no doubt the way to go. 

Windows 11 is out? I thought it’d be released next month or something, unless it’s the beta version that’s out?

26 minutes ago, kai990 said:

What kind of Steam games do you play on the Mac? I’m curious to see which ones are available.

I collect hand-drawn indies so it’s basically everything that Thunder Lotus does, everything that Amanita Design studio does, Hades, Cuphead, Hollow Knight, Gris, Felix the Reaper, Hyper Light Drifter, Blasphemous... That sort of thing. 

2 hours ago, visualstudios said:

The m1 mini is more than capable of everything! 

Good to hear. I just don't work with video in general. People would give me so much grief for getting that puny thing but it's pretty powerful, reasonably priced and convenient. It's Mac Pro PC or nothing with Mac enthusiasts. 🙂

1 hour ago, kai990 said:

Me too man, I prefer Windows as well. I also like how they can be cheaper than the Apple products.

Yeah, there are certain apps that probably work better on a Mac, and if a person isn’t really a gamer, then depending on their profession or their interests, a Mac could end up better for them. If a person is a serious gamer though, Windows is no doubt the way to go. 

Windows 11 is out? I thought it’d be released next month or something, unless it’s the beta version that’s out?

I'm in the Insider ring so I got it, but it's still a work in progress, so I'm mostly using W10 still. You can download the ISO and install it from their website as well, I think. 

2 hours ago, lenasemenkova said:

I collect hand-drawn indies so it’s basically everything that Thunder Lotus does, everything that Amanita Design studio does, Hades, Cuphead, Hollow Knight, Gris, Felix the Reaper, Hyper Light Drifter, Blasphemous... That sort of thing. 

Good to hear. I just don't work with video in general. People would give me so much grief for getting that puny thing but it's pretty powerful, reasonably priced and convenient. It's Mac Pro PC or nothing with Mac enthusiasts. 🙂

I’ve played Cuphead, Hollow Knight and Felix the Reaper before…those are some pretty cool games. I’ve heard of the other ones like Hades, Gris, and Hyper Light Drifter, though I’ve never heard of Blasphemous. Either way, they all sound cool. 😎

1 hour ago, smashradio said:

I'm in the Insider ring so I got it, but it's still a work in progress, so I'm mostly using W10 still. You can download the ISO and install it from their website as well, I think. 

Ah alright, that’s good to know, thanks!

Archived