Gig ranking tips from a Top Rated Seller: Are you following bad advice?

smashradio

So you just got started on Fiverr. You want advice on how to rank your gig quickly. You see all the tips from other sellers, like "be online", "just wait and pray", "be active on the forum", and "share on social media". 

But are you actually checking if the advice you're following comes from people who are already successful

If the advice comes from someone with zero reviews who've been on Fiverr for a month without getting orders, can you even trust their advice to be good? Of course, you can't. 

If you don't want to risk wasting your time on lousy advice, here's what you need to do: 

1. Check if the seller who gave the advice is actually thriving on Fiverr. This usually means that they are a Top Rated, Pro, or even Level 2 seller. 
  2. Do your research. Don't trust the advice you read blindly. 
  3. Start thinking for yourself: make a strategy and learn the skills you need to implement it. 

Why? Because the examples I mentioned at the beginning are all lies, told, recycled, re-told, copy/pasted. And they don't work! 

Yet you'll see the same "tips" posted over and over again by pretenders who haven't managed to become successful themselves. Why would you trust their advice if the "tips" they give clearly aren't working for them? 

Here's some real advice you can implement – but they only work if you're good at what you do. If you're misrepresenting your skills, these won't work. 

• Do market research to figure out who your customers are, why they need help, and how you can solve their problems. 
  • Create an outstanding gig showcasing why you're the right person to help them, and back it up with actual knowledge. 
  • Invest in your business: hire someone professional to design your gig thumbnails (unless you're a designer), hire a writer to help you with your gig description (unless you're a writer), hire analysts to help you gain valuable insight into the market you're entering, and produce a professional gig video explaining about what you do and why the buyer should order from you. 
  • Set realistic goals, and don't overpromise. It's better to underpromise and overdeliver. 
  • Don't offer unlimited revisions, and don't sell your services for five dollars. It opens the door to bad buyers and challenging experiences. If you've come this far, you're worth more than that. 
  • Take courses in customer care to gain more than a basic understanding of how you communicate with your clients. 
  • Keep working on improving your skills in whatever niche you belong to. 
  • Treat all your buyers like they are VIPs – but only as long as they treat you with respect and courtesy. 
  • Answer messages quickly but thoroughly. Be sure to learn as much as you can about a project before accepting it, so you have a clear outline of what your work entails. 
  • Be friendly, but not too personal. Avoid terms like "dear", "bro", "mate", and "friend". It's a business, not a social club. Treat it that way. 
  • Know that there are no shortcuts to success. Work hard, but smart. Deliver outstanding quality and service to your buyers. It will make your buyers happy, ensuring you get positive reviews and positive hidden feedback. That will, in turn, increase your chances of ranking high and climbing the levels on Fiverr. 
  • Make sure to keep your buyers updated during the order. It helps the buyer feel like they are in safe hands. 
  • Don't be afraid of asking questions. If you're not 100% sure about something, it's better to ask the buyer than to make a mistake. 
  • Deliver on time, every time. Give yourself time to complete orders. If you offer 24 hour delivery time, that means you shouldn't need more than 12 hours to complete the order. If you need more, your delivery time should be set to 2 days. Delivering early and ahead of schedule has the added bonus of impressing your buyer. 
  • Praying will (most likely) not affect your gig ranking. Sure, do it if you want to pray, but don't count on it to work. That's not how business is conducted. 

So - to recap:

vetting the people that give you advice is essential. Please don't listen to people who can't even succeed themselves. Listen to the ones that have real success and who can prove it. Pretenders won't make it in the brutal world of freelancing. Don't be one of them: stand out from the crowd by doing something you're good at. 

There are no shortcuts to success. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 497
  • Confused 3
  • Congrats! 11
  • Up 31
  • Thanks 108

3 minutes ago, j6nyc6 said:

This is the best advice you can give in this day and age.

Thanks! I'm shooketh by all the moronic advice floating around here, with hundreds of "congrats" "congos" and "thank u useful master" responses from helpless people who blindly follow eachother towards the freelancer grave. The worst part is, even with a clickbaity title like this one, it's still not on a level where they even bother to say "thanks". The worse the advice gets, the more congratulations you'll see below the post. The end result is that the people who really need this, won't read it. 

• Like 220
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, smashradio said:

The worse the advice gets, the more congratulations you'll see below the post.

You have to dumb it down in a sense, your post at first glance looks like a snippet from the Terms of Service. Most of those individuals failed to read the TOS so chances are they'll skip this post.

I'll help get the ball rolling. lol

Advice is great to succeed on Fibber.

• Like 175
  • Haha 24
  • Confused 1
  • Congrats! 3
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, j6nyc6 said:

You have to dumb it down in a sense, your post at first glance looks like a snippet from the Terms of Service. Most of those individuals failed to read the TOS so chances are they'll skip this post.

I'll help get the ball rolling. lol

Advice is great to succeed on Fibber.

Thanks bro for your great fibber advaise 🤑

I don't do dumbing down. Perhaps I have a subconscious wish that only people smart enough to implement these things will actually have access to them. Sort of negates the purpose of trying to make them understand, but I'm fine with that. 

• Like 185
  • Haha 12
  • Confused 2
  • Congrats! 3
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, smashradio said:

Set realistic goals, and don't overpromise. It's better to underpromise and overdeliver.

This is so hard (even though I've ranted about this, ha!) I think by knowing what we can actually handle, we also become kinder to ourselves. I've started saying 'no' to writing 5-6000 words a day (7 days a week), not because I can't do it but because it was exhausting me mentally - I needed to do it at some point because I'd set a delivery time...and then promise to deliver much much earlier. But obviously, quality also matters! Don't be dumb, people! Know what you're capable of (and what you CAN'T do.)

(we should keep this post active so those who need it will like, at least read through them. Maybe.)
(I mean. thx for tIps bro, my gig will rank now.) 

• Like 192
  • Congrats! 4
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 7

4 minutes ago, surajkartha said:

If you ask me.. Let the rumours prevail.. Add 2 more points to it... Point #1 message the CEO and investors for more sales.. Point #2 tag them on Twitter with the message "give me sales"...and the system should correct itself.. 😂😂😂 

I'm a Fiverr shareholder. Please, please, I'm begging you, don't ask them to message the investors! I get enough spam already.  😂 

3 minutes ago, katakatica said:

This is so hard (even though I've ranted about this, ha!) I think by knowing what we can actually handle, we also become kinder to ourselves. I've started saying 'no' to writing 5-6000 words a day (7 days a week), not because I can't do it but because it was exhausting me mentally - I needed to do it at some point because I'd set a delivery time...and then promise to deliver much much earlier. But obviously, quality also matters! Don't be dumb, people! Know what you're capable of (and what you CAN'T do.)

(we should keep this post active so those who need it will like, at least read through them. Maybe.)
(I mean. thx for tIps bro, my gig will rank now.) 

Yes, saying no is an artform! I just turned down a 1000 dollar project because it was 100 dollars below my rate, simply because I promised myself to only accept projects that won't cause me to get stressed out. 

Thanks for keeping it active,  dear madam! 

• Like 164
  • Haha 6
  • Congrats! 3
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 6

20 hours ago, katakatica said:

100% agree. I have been advocating that the pinned feature be utilized in the categories, even just for a while. Just to keep the exposure... The tips for sellers section could really use it, people are still using it to ask for tips burying useful threads like these.

Else I will randomly post "Tanx 4 kind tips" every so often here to keep this thread visible. 😂

• Like 158
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, theratypist said:

100% agree. I have been advocating that the pinned feature be utilized in the categories, even just for a while. Just to keep the exposure... The tips for sellers section could really use it, people are still using it to ask for tips burying useful threads like these.

Else I will randomly post "Tanx 4 kind tips" every so often here to keep this thread visible. 😂

Yeah I wish there was a separate category where only useful advice and topics got posted. Should be connected to seller levels, where only Level 2, Pro and TRS sellers are allowed to start new topics. I suggested something like it, or even a category where only higher level sellers could participate, in order to give us a meaningful place to discuss more serious topics. But that didn't happen, of course. :P 

• Like 165
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2
  • Congrats! 3
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/5/2021 at 11:44 PM, smashradio said:

The worse the advice gets, the more congratulations you'll see below the post.

Perhaps because it's coming from someone from their own country? You know, them sticking together, helping each other out, trusting someone from their country more than they'd trust a foreigner (while also stealing descriptions and images from folks from their country who are actually successful)...

• Like 138
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, smashradio said:

You think? I think movie theaters will only go down the drain from here, as more and more studios start releasing movies on streaming services on the premiere date. 

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/09/13/good-news-amc-disney-release-rest-2021-films/

There are still fans filling stadiums for games, even tough they can watch on TV. 

However, just like GameStop, AMC has nothing to do with fundamentals, There are millions of synthetic shares out there, because the shorts have way overleveraged themselves. So when they are called, they will have to pay for hundreds of millions of shares that don't exist. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/amcstock/

image.png.c6e507961846e9cfec9ed6efadbd136a.png

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 140
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2021 at 11:33 AM, smashradio said:

You think? I think movie theaters will only go down the drain from here, as more and more studios start releasing movies on streaming services on the premiere date. 

It depends on the country. Here in Latin American, studios are forcing people to go back to theaters. “Only on Cinemas”. Movies that are already available on streaming services in US or Europe, are only available on cinemas here, for at least three months.

Let's add the fact that cinemas are horrible here. They only offer dubbed movies, no subtitles, and the sound is terrible, there are around 30 speakers in the room, yet only the 3 to 5 on the front are working. But people are going. So. here cinemas are going up again.

BTW, Tnks 4 chering dis awsom tips!

• Like 128
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 3

There is one really serious tip for illustrators. Do not put your best work in gig image. Then clients will order from you expecting same quality. Often you can't do same quality of work in short time frame with low price.  It will lead to thinking they are buying masterpiece leads to very unsatisfied client. Manage their expectation then overdeliver if possible.

Edited by gongor32
  • Like 124
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 4

On 9/5/2021 at 3:27 PM, smashradio said:

So you just got started on Fiverr. You want advice on how to rank your gig quickly. You see all the tips from other sellers, like "be online", "just wait and pray", "be active on the forum", and "share on social media". 

But are you actually checking if the advice you're following comes from people who are already successful

If the advice comes from someone with zero reviews who've been on Fiverr for a month without getting orders, can you even trust their advice to be good? Of course, you can't. 

If you don't want to risk wasting your time on lousy advice, here's what you need to do: 

1. Check if the seller who gave the advice is actually thriving on Fiverr. This usually means that they are a Top Rated, Pro, or even Level 2 seller. 
  2. Do your research. Don't trust the advice you read blindly. 
  3. Start thinking for yourself: make a strategy and learn the skills you need to implement it. 

Why? Because the examples I mentioned at the beginning are all lies, told, recycled, re-told, copy/pasted. And they don't work! 

Yet you'll see the same "tips" posted over and over again by pretenders who haven't managed to become successful themselves. Why would you trust their advice if the "tips" they give clearly aren't working for them? 

Here's some real advice you can implement – but they only work if you're good at what you do. If you're misrepresenting your skills, these won't work. 

• Do market research to figure out who your customers are, why they need help, and how you can solve their problems. 
  • Create an outstanding gig showcasing why you're the right person to help them, and back it up with actual knowledge. 
  • Invest in your business: hire someone professional to design your gig thumbnails (unless you're a designer), hire a writer to help you with your gig description (unless you're a writer), hire analysts to help you gain valuable insight into the market you're entering, and produce a professional gig video explaining about what you do and why the buyer should order from you. 
  • Set realistic goals, and don't overpromise. It's better to underpromise and overdeliver. 
  • Don't offer unlimited revisions, and don't sell your services for five dollars. It opens the door to bad buyers and challenging experiences. If you've come this far, you're worth more than that. 
  • Take courses in customer care to gain more than a basic understanding of how you communicate with your clients. 
  • Keep working on improving your skills in whatever niche you belong to. 
  • Treat all your buyers like they are VIPs – but only as long as they treat you with respect and courtesy. 
  • Answer messages quickly but thoroughly. Be sure to learn as much as you can about a project before accepting it, so you have a clear outline of what your work entails. 
  • Be friendly, but not too personal. Avoid terms like "dear", "bro", "mate", and "friend". It's a business, not a social club. Treat it that way. 
  • Know that there are no shortcuts to success. Work hard, but smart. Deliver outstanding quality and service to your buyers. It will make your buyers happy, ensuring you get positive reviews and positive hidden feedback. That will, in turn, increase your chances of ranking high and climbing the levels on Fiverr. 
  • Make sure to keep your buyers updated during the order. It helps the buyer feel like they are in safe hands. 
  • Don't be afraid of asking questions. If you're not 100% sure about something, it's better to ask the buyer than to make a mistake. 
  • Deliver on time, every time. Give yourself time to complete orders. If you offer 24 hour delivery time, that means you shouldn't need more than 12 hours to complete the order. If you need more, your delivery time should be set to 2 days. Delivering early and ahead of schedule has the added bonus of impressing your buyer. 
  • Praying will (most likely) not affect your gig ranking. Sure, do it if you want to pray, but don't count on it to work. That's not how business is conducted. 

So - to recap:

vetting the people that give you advice is essential. Please don't listen to people who can't even succeed themselves. Listen to the ones that have real success and who can prove it. Pretenders won't make it in the brutal world of freelancing. Don't be one of them: stand out from the crowd by doing something you're good at. 

There are no shortcuts to success. 

I think this all wonderful advice however one question I do have is that when you're a smaller freelancer with less experiences and resources then how can you make it? This is a very informative post however there are some bases I don't think you covered. Great job on the post in general though!

• Like 123
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 3

• 4 weeks later...

The top three that get me are be online 24/7, send BR daily and share to social media. These three also prompt posts inquiring why they aren't showing online, why they aren't getting BR (often times back-to-back posts) in addition to inquiries about where to share their link.

Of the three BR and social media sharing drive me bonkers. Having to explain that an empty BR is not bug is tiring. Worse yet, explaining that sharing to social media (especially without clarity) will lead to another round of blacklisting fiverr links. Hopefully this gets pinned along with the other useful posts.

Edited by topaz_muse
typos
  • Like 113
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Your advice is really good especially for the people who just started. 
I have been here from last 2 years but not getting much orders. I am a professional Visual Editor since 13 years and I started on Fiverr just before 2 years. Yup, I did a business through Fiverr but not like the way I was expecting. I followed lots of "Top Sellers" even I saw their profile and their deliverables. And the deliveries were very simple. I am not comparing myself with anyone. But yeah I really need to understand where I am lacking. I can do the things, I did everything whatever I could but still only getting impressions. whoever client came to me I always gave them my best. Even sometimes I did worked for them with a very low prices. 
I really don't understand.

• Like 124
  • Sad 2
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 6
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

OP is 💯

Always remember, a new client will almost always buy their first impression of YOU as a person, and not necessarily the product you're selling. They can likely find what you're offering just about anywhere, especially on Fiverr.

Are you warm and friendly? Are you able to quickly adapt to different personality types? Are you presenting yourself as a knowledgeable and trustworthy person? Are you genuine? Are you asking open-ended questions? 

If you're doing it right, the client will provide you with all the information you need to serve as the foundation of a long term business relationship. Now If only I could boost my search position 😄

I've been in sales for most of my life, and these are lessons I've picked up along the way. 

Edited by bigbeardvo
  • Like 112
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2022 at 9:05 PM, corteperfecto said:

Your advice is really good especially for the people who just started. 
I have been here from last 2 years but not getting much orders. I am a professional Visual Editor since 13 years and I started on Fiverr just before 2 years. Yup, I did a business through Fiverr but not like the way I was expecting. I followed lots of "Top Sellers" even I saw their profile and their deliverables. And the deliveries were very simple. I am not comparing myself with anyone. But yeah I really need to understand where I am lacking. I can do the things, I did everything whatever I could but still only getting impressions. whoever client came to me I always gave them my best. Even sometimes I did worked for them with a very low prices. 
I really don't understand.

I just checked your profile and it shows that you have 108 reviews, but the numbers don't add up when I manually count them from your existing gigs. Do you constantly removing and creating new gigs? Don't you think it would be more effective if you just focus on developing one main gig and gather reviews there? Based on my experience, buyers are more convinced to place order on gigs that have earned many positive reviews. I think having 108 reviews in one gig would add more boost to your gig's traffic than having them scattered on a number of different gigs, considering that the other gigs you created basically offer the same service.

Edited by kevindwren
  • Like 94
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 4