Learning to be humble... a couple of lessons

manuelmarino

26 minutes ago, manuelmarino said:

Not a worker, not a consultant, but free to work as he likes.

I look at freelancers as business owners. You can work as you wish, and reap the rewards, or the failure based on what you deliver and how you treat your buyers. But yes, every gig has "professional" or "expert" in it, even if the seller is brand new and clueless. Just yesterday I saw someone with "Professional Voice Over artist" in their thumbnail, then the opening sentence of their gig was... "I'm just here for fun, ....blah, blah, blah." So yes, there are poseurs aplenty. That's why we see so many "digital marketing experts" complaining that they can't get work, while at the same time offering gigs promising to get work for others. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 40
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

2 minutes ago, manuelmarino said:

wise words Mike... I wonder how we can "teach" them to improve... probably nothing...

Probably a very small portion are going to listen. Most of the class of 2021 seem to be responding to a coordinated effort in a particular region who are instructed by YouTube "experts" to just create a profile, steal gig descriptions form established sellers, put up phony profile pics and declare themselves experts in 4-5 different fields. The goal seems to be to just grab as many $5 bills as possible until you get banned, then make a new account and start again. 

This always brings us to the "pay to play" conversation. 😉

• Like 26
  • Sad 1
  • Congrats! 2

3 minutes ago, manuelmarino said:

and weird nothing can be done to solve this...

It actualy would be easy, but I doubt fiverr is ready to do it yet. But a fee every month to have a seller account would be a great start.  I'm hoping that "seller plus" is the start. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 29
  • Up 1

21 hours ago, manuelmarino said:

I've seen many sellers here, considering themselves "important" or professionals with just one order or two. I would like to clarify the situation of being freelancers and what this means.

A freelancer simply is a free professional able to work for multiple projects and customers at the same time. Not a worker, not a consultant, but free to work as he likes.

Being a freelancer doesn't mean you are a great professional. You need to show that. You can't show that with one order or two. You can't show that after few months. From my point of view, I will consider you a real professional after a couple of years at least.

I'm tired of so many "great professionals", complaining because their third customer didn't accept their proposal, or disappeared.

Please, before coming here feeling yourself cool and bold, please focus on your job, acquire experience, orders and reviews. It's your most important goal. All the rest is not important 🙂

Now Fiverr forum is full of so called gurus. They can provide you any idea without any order or experience.

• Like 24

On 9/3/2021 at 5:09 AM, newsmike said:

It actualy would be easy, but I doubt fiverr is ready to do it yet. But a fee every month to have a seller account would be a great start.  I'm hoping that "seller plus" is the start. 

That's actually a good idea. Though I think people are gonna argue $30 is huge for others. Oh a whirlwind discussion 😅 

Edited by theratypist
  • Like 26

22 minutes ago, theratypist said:

Though I think people are gonna argue $30 is huge for others.

That would probably be the discussion even at $5. I just remember that fiverr is a business patform, not a charity, or a UN program designed to help people earn $4 a month. Unfortunately, it is impossible in 2021 to have any discussion without someone stating that someone else is being treated unfairly. But this is business, the most unfair arena of all.  

• Like 28

42 minutes ago, manuelmarino said:

I think a minimum $5 starting fee to have a seller account could be useful.

It is a start, but I think it needs to be a recurring monthly fee, and much more than the $5 we are discussing here. Baby steps I guess. But if fiverr wants to be a trusted site full of vetted sellers who deliver quality work consistently, we need to (just like Rome) chase the pickpockets from the train station. It's bad for business, and the image. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 25
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, newsmike said:

Unfortunately, it is impossible in 2021 to have any discussion without someone stating that someone else is being treated unfairly. But this is business, the most unfair arena of all.  

Mike, that is so true. Add on to the fact that we're called rude when we call people out here in the forum 😂

I silently support you on the sidelines alongside @smashradio when you vouch for things. I love both of your perspectives. 

Just a few of my gr8 Fiber fwens. Congo!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, theratypist said:

Mike, that is so true. Add on to the fact that we're called rude when we call people out here in the forum 😂

I silently support you on the sidelines alongside @smashradio when you vouch for things. I love both of your perspectives. 

Andy Samberg Agree GIF

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

Then there are those who say in their gigs or profile that they have college degrees I am certain they do not have.

I truly am a graduate of the "Brooklyn Academy of Bartending" two week masters course. Should I list that?

exclaiming serving GIF by South Park

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 22
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

I once saw a seller who said they had a college degree in SEO! 🤣

I think it is some sort of short 6 month to year course from a certain institute from a country that must not be named for fear of being called a ___ . A lot of the people posting for help in the forum have that "degree". 😅

• Like 24
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, theratypist said:

That's actually a good idea. Though I think people are gonna argue $30 is huge for others. Oh a whirlwind discussion 😅 

If you can't afford to invest 30 bucks in your business every month, your business can hardly be called viable in my not so humble opinion. 

14 minutes ago, theratypist said:

Wooho! Fibber go go go! 

9 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

Then there are those who say in their gigs or profile that they have college degrees I am certain they do not have. 🎓

I once saw a seller who said they had a college degree in SEO! 🤣

I have a degree. In history of religion. Never needed it for a second. I only got it because I wanted to call myself a student at some point in life. Turned out to be a completely useless but very interesting subject. 

These days you can buy a degree for a few thousand euros online without ever going to school. Worst part is, even that is too much effort for the guys with a college degree in SEO. 🤣

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1