Allow reviews on cancelled orders.

newsmike

I have changed my mind on one part of the whole "should I cancel, or take negative review" argument. Fiverr should allow a review on every cancelled order as it would accomplish two things.

1. People would no longer be able to "sanitize" their reviews. Lots say to cancel to avoid a negative review, some even admitted that they did a poor job on the order. Why allow them to hide that? Buyers need to know that they are about to buy from someone who may deliver crap, then offer a cancel. Not optimal. Helpful to read "had to cancel because the logo he sent me was stolen."

2. People will defend their work, and their right to be paid. If you still get the bad review, then get paid in the meantime. This reduces the folks who end up working for free, and hopefully hinder the bullies who threaten to get free work. 

• newsmike changed the title to Allow reviews on cancelled orders.

* After the delivery. With the delivery going to the live portfolio 100% of the time. Then I'm (almost) on board with this hot take. Nothing warms my heart more than seeing spiteful and downright slanderous reviews next to some pretty competent, good-looking work. 

57 minutes ago, newsmike said:

Helpful to read "had to cancel because the logo he sent me was stolen."

Assuming it's a true statement, it is helpful. 

5 hours ago, lenasemenkova said:

* After the delivery. With the delivery going to the live portfolio 100% of the time. Then I'm (almost) on board with this hot take. Nothing warms my heart more than seeing spiteful and downright slanderous reviews next to some pretty competent, good-looking work. 

Assuming it's a true statement, it is helpful. 

I definitely agree about after the delivery. I can think of a few too many instances where being able to leave a bad review for a cancellation could be abused if it were before delivery. The main one that comes to mind is just people ordering a small gig (like say not thinking about commercial use) and then being mad that it didn't include everything. Granted that potential users are smart enough to read past stupid reviews like that, but Fiverr's level requirements are not.

Not about 100% live portfolio though. I appreciate the intent, but there are lots of situations where customers don't want their stuff in live portfolio. Sometimes my customers have their entire book showing in my reviews and that already makes me uncomfortable. Customers need privacy for things like logos, slogans, articles, etc. A business card design might have their personal info on it.

If we're drawing a distinction then, between orders that were canceled before or after a delivery, orders canceled BEFORE delivery shouldn't count to cancellation rates, and orders canceled AFTER delivery should be able to be reviewed. That's what I think.

Heck, allow us to attach screenshots to the reviews as well. All the “if you don’t do X I’ll leave 1*” and the like. It'll be a bloodbath. 🙂

5 hours ago, rachelbostwick said:

Not about 100% live portfolio though.

You want to cancel because this is “not as advertised” - let everyone be the judge. It's mostly "not as advertised" or "I don't like it" when someone tries to pull a post-delivery cancellation on me. 

5 hours ago, rachelbostwick said:

A business card design might have their personal info on it.

An interesting observation. I never once thought about how there is a separate category for business cards (I think) and all those gigs have live portfolios full of personal information of the customers. Yet it's there. 

Archived