What you need to know about

manuelmarino

Ok, this is my actual dilemma. Do we need to include commas in the GIG titles? This could be a very important tip for newcomers.

Yes because I actually think that GIGs rank a lot better WITHOUT commas.

Let's consider my Best Selling GIG:

"create an orchestral epic music soundtrack for film game trailer intro"

or

"create an orchestral epic music soundtrack for film, game, trailer intro"?

From my tests, it ranks better WITH NO COMMAS! it's incredible, but seems so.

Your ideas?

9 hours ago, manuelmarino said:

Your ideas?

It might depend on the search text you're using (if searching and not just browsing the subcategory).

If the gig is getting more impressions it might be because it matches more search text now.

But if it's a title that grammatically should have a comma, would the buyer be more or less likely to select and purchase the gig if it had no commas? It might be easier to read with the commas if it's a title that should have them.

It seems like gigs that don't have commas are more likely to have more reviews (eg. for gigs of around the same price for about the same number of words in the title).

But maybe for gigs in the "Writing & Translation" category (where grammar is more important) if it's a title where it's grammatically correct to have commas I think it might negatively affect orders if they were removed and the title wasn't reworded to make it grammatically correct.

On 8/29/2021 at 6:23 PM, uk1000 said:

But maybe for gigs in the "Writing & Translation" category (where grammar is more important) if it's a title where it's grammatically correct to have commas

yes, I think so as well. Anyway the additional impressions are good in any case. The problem here is to find a balance between "the number of impressions you want" and the clickthru that should be higher with grammatically correct titles.

On 8/29/2021 at 7:43 AM, manuelmarino said:

Your ideas?

It might very well be the case, but I think it depends on the search terms being used. Are they often used together? Then a comma might not be the best idea. But if they are often used separately, it might be smart to put a comma there. 

I'm not at all sure if the algo differenciates between having a comma there, or not. There could be many other factors that affects your ranking at any given moment, like the algorithm getting an update, competition, your optimization in other places, conversion rate, seller level, feedback and so on. 

So it's difficult to say. 

You say you tested this. What exactly did you do to test it? Did you set up a gig with commas, ran it for a while, got some sales, then you changed it, and got more sales? If so, your previous sales, potential level increases etc. could have affected your ranking, too. 

Did you make any other changes? Which one did you test first? 

Did you test this across multiple gigs, categories and so on? 

Many questions that needs answers before we can make even a guess about what caused an uptick in sales when you removed the commas. 

Archived