What are your favourite comfort food(s)?

katakatica

So... Selfish reason here, I've been down with a cold (...hopefully just that!) ever since I came back from Malta (to be fair, the 20-degree weather difference and the stom that I've arrived to probably doesn't help...!) I'm contemplating making steamed eggs for dinner because they tend to help but at the moment even that feels like too much effort (I'm not a great cook to start with though I try!)

I'm wondering what you all like to eat/drink (if anything!) when feeling nasty. Trying to switch to non-caffeinated tea so I can sleep but I've been wanting milk tea so it's complicated! 

(I know this has nothing to do with work. I've been forcing myself to write a bit daily but sometimes it's better to say - no, today my brain is closed! than force creative stuff!)

(pictures are very welcome, maybe they'll make me actually want to cook!)

7 minutes ago, katakatica said:

I'm wondering what you all like to eat/drink (if anything!) when feeling nasty.

Chicken soup is my go to when I'm feeling sick! Very easy to whip up. I hope you feel better soon!

1 minute ago, smashradio said:

PS. Cold? Checked for Covid-19?

Hopefully it isn't! Everything will be bland!

I just had a date with my fiancee over good steak and wine earlier! We love steak! This was his idea because the other day he said "You need it" after he found me giggling over one thread in the forum I closely follow with @surajkartha @alphagev @vovkaslovesnyy@rachelbostwick@maitasun @ahmwritingco🤣...

18 minutes ago, smashradio said:

Cold? Checked for Covid-19?

It's a possibility unfortunately! If I don't get any better by Monday or don't regain at least half of my strength I'll get tested just in case. I'm okay just...Exhausted and gross haha. 

(Tea is always good! I don't have any of my go to herbal tea left but I do have a lemon tea so will try a cuppa after dinner!)

12 minutes ago, theratypist said:

You need it" after he found me giggling over one thread in the forum I closely follow with

I think I saw that just now! I'm browsing more than posting lately but it cracked me up ha! You do deserve some good dinner for sure (we had pork belly Hungarian style for lunch, I'm hoping for some leftovers tomorrow so I can add some and maybe make fried rice. I haven't had any wine in a good bit - still have a lovely pricy thing in the fridge but won't risk it till I'm taking meds T.T

27 minutes ago, katakatica said:

So... Selfish reason here, I've been down with a cold (...hopefully just that!) ever since I came back from Malta (to be fair, the 20-degree weather difference and the stom that I've arrived to probably doesn't help...!) I'm contemplating making steamed eggs for dinner because they tend to help but at the moment even that feels like too much effort (I'm not a great cook to start with though I try!)

I'm wondering what you all like to eat/drink (if anything!) when feeling nasty. Trying to switch to non-caffeinated tea so I can sleep but I've been wanting milk tea so it's complicated! 

(I know this has nothing to do with work. I've been forcing myself to write a bit daily but sometimes it's better to say - no, today my brain is closed! than force creative stuff!)

(pictures are very welcome, maybe they'll make me actually want to cook!)

It is really bad when we get a cold and can't and don't want to use our voice. When I feel a cold coming on, I get my little bottle of Oil of Oregano. It works wonders when daaling with a cold. If that is what you have, I use 3 drops every half hour and it knocks a cold out. I sneeze a lot, but better that than a nasty cold for days and days. I drink chicken broth only.  Hope I don't get into trouble for offering this info. I also drink herbal teas. Hope you feel better soon.

30 minutes ago, katakatica said:

Soup with plenty of veggies in it hits the spot when I'm feeling unwell. The veggies give me a mental boost and make me feel like I'm giving my body the tools to fight off the virus. It can be a bit of a pain, though, having to chop stuff up and simmer it, etc. It's much better when a relative or partner makes it, meaning I can stay in bed! 🙂

Hope you feel better soon.

18 minutes ago, theratypist said:

I just had a date with my fiancee over good steak and wine earlier! We love steak! This was his idea because the other day he said "You need it" after he found me giggling over one thread in the forum I closely follow

I'm glad you guys went through with it! And well done for promoting the Emoji Game. Here are three tokens you can redeem for exclusive clues. 😉

1 hour ago, katakatica said:

I'm wondering what you all like to eat/drink (if anything!) when feeling nasty.

I usually have corn soup or lemon tea... however if I am angry, I have a chocolate bar to get the endorphins going lol

34 minutes ago, katakatica said:
58 minutes ago, smashradio said:

Cold? Checked for Covid-19?

It's a possibility unfortunately! If I don't get any better by Monday or don't regain at least half of my strength I'll get tested just in case. I'm okay just...Exhausted and gross haha. 

Hope you feel better and recover fast.. take care of yourself.. 🙏

49 minutes ago, theratypist said:

I just had a date with my fiancee over good steak and wine earlier! We love steak! This was his idea because the other day he said "You need it" after he found me giggling over one thread in the forum I closely follow with @surajkartha @alphagev @vovkaslovesnyy@rachelbostwick@maitasun @ahmwritingco🤣...

Curious though.. does he know Fiverr as "Fiverr" or is it "Fiber"? 😄 

1 hour ago, katakatica said:

(Tea is always good! I don't have any of my go to herbal tea left but I do have a lemon tea so will try a cuppa after dinner!)

Yeah, it's some nasty stuff if it is. The earlier you get treatment the better the outcome, they say. (I'm not a doctor, this is not medical advice, I don't want @newsmike to school me like he did the other guy who had medical advice about Covid today 😂)

Tea is great! Any tea will do, in my opinion, as long as it's a lot of honey and lemon and other goodies you like in there. I prefer black tea for taste, but herbal tea just makes me feel healthier, even though I'm probably not. 

1 hour ago, kendal1747 said:

It is really bad when we get a cold and can't and don't want to use our voice. When I feel a cold coming on, I get my little bottle of Oil of Oregano. It works wonders when daaling with a cold. If that is what you have, I use 3 drops every half hour and it knocks a cold out. I sneeze a lot, but better that than a nasty cold for days and days. I drink chicken broth only.  Hope I don't get into trouble for offering this info. I also drink herbal teas. Hope you feel better soon.

If I get a cold and I have to work, I use something called Frenadol. It's a powdered mixture of painkillers and stuff that opens up your airways and helps you avoid that cloggy sound. 

I like my chemicals. But I'd much prefer to stay in bed when I'm sick. I'm a typical man-flu guy. 

1 hour ago, visualstudios said:

Carbonara, Mac&cheese, lasagna... anything with pasta and sauce, basically. Italian food > anything else (exception for sushi, ofc).

I was about to ask if you're italian. Or a member of the mob. (Yes, I know you have to be italian to be a member of the Cosa Nostra, just in case you're actually a mob boss in disguise.)

1 hour ago, kendal1747 said:

I get my little bottle of Oil of Oregano. It works wonders when daaling with a cold. If that is what you have,

I'll have to try! I tried something (somewhat) similar and doused my eggs in chili oil - while it didn't work perfectly I do feel a little better! I'm not a soup person which is annoying when I'm sick!  And thanks!

1 hour ago, ahmwritingco said:

It can be a bit of a pain, though, having to chop stuff up and simmer it, etc. It's much better when a relative or partner makes it, meaning I can stay in bed! 🙂

That's my main concern - I had to actually wait for my meal to cook (...I might have forgotten to boil the water to steam the eggs so it took a looong time!) We did have cauliflower soup for lunch (one of the few I tolerate!) but I don't think I'd have the patience to make it right now!

35 minutes ago, smashradio said:

If I get a cold and I have to work, I use something called Frenadol. It's a powdered mixture of painkillers and stuff that opens up your airways and helps you avoid that cloggy sound. 

I think it's like Neocitran - the only issue is, I can't stand the taste! Since I don't work with my voice I just try to not talk much (but I've been dictating a ton so it's annoying me a bit!)

36 minutes ago, smashradio said:
1 hour ago, visualstudios said:

Carbonara, Mac&cheese, lasagna... anything with pasta and sauce, basically. Italian food > anything else (exception for sushi, ofc).

Now... I sort of want pasta, though. I actually wanted to order a proper Italian pizza all day but I'm not sure if that's a good idea ha. Sushi wins over everything tho! (Italian comfort food-wise, I love the tiny pastas cooked in lots of broth. Pastina maybe? And cheese~)

1 hour ago, theratypist said:

This was his idea because the other day he said "You need it"

So you took the blue pill. Shame, shame, shame. Nah, just joking - fortunately you enjoyed your steak and wine.

2 hours ago, katakatica said:

So... Selfish reason here, I've been down with a cold (...hopefully just that!) ever since I came back from Malta

Hi katakatica. I'm pretty sure it's just a cold but check your health soon and rest. I was reading (or I should say lurking) your threads about your journey as a digital nomad, so I was happy and impressed about Malta. 

I'll share my very Italian comfort food during sickness. It's called tortellini in brodo, it happens to be my favourite dish too. It's a steamy dish of stuffed pasta swimming in chicken (or vegetable) broth. Its meat-based filling will melt in your mouth, filling up your stomach while giving you a warm hug. 

tortellini-brodo.thumb.jpg.afa266c61143409d632b8c345c39e26c.jpg

If you want to cook something more elaborate, I'll share another comfort food from cold Iceland. They're called Piparkokur, Pepper Cookies. 

Made of butter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder but most importantly cinnamon, cloves, ginger, pepper (I add sweet paprika too), they will make your nose running and spice you up. They get along heavenly with coffee or tea.

iceland-pepper-cookies-3-683x1024.thumb.jpg.6fb5254beca4083f425e2915436edbb2.jpg

1 hour ago, alphagev said:

I'll share my very Italian comfort food during sickness. It's called tortellini in brodo, it happens to be my favourite dish too. It's a steamy dish of stuffed pasta swimming in chicken (or vegetable) broth. Its meat-based filling will melt in your mouth, filling up your stomach while giving you a warm hug. 

Tortellini sound awesome right now ! I'd make the cookies but I barely had the willpower to make steamed eggs - and half of that time was spent waiting! 

I'm leaning towards a cold, too - Malta was really really hot and something similar happened when I came back from Bordeaux last year, too - but it's best to find out (if I don't get better, that is!) thanks for following my little adventures - really hope I can be fully nomad soon! 

Archived