SPAM, Trust Levels and topic "clean up"

mjensen415

14 minutes ago, coerdelion said:

strong female voices were targetted and removed ...

Still seems to be a narrative. Giving warning for something that was already approved and at the same time leaving endless duplicated spam messages and topics all over the forum. 
Yay sure let’s all get excited of no spam changes coming. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, looks like everything is still exactly the same.

Why can't we report/hide comments like we used to in the old forum? Why did they get rid of such a helpful tool? And then people with x number of reports would be suspended from participating for x time.

Am I crazy or is this a super easy solution?!

2 hours ago, vickiespencer said:

You can report them. However, if the sheperds of the Fiverr Forum deem them to be not in line with community guidelines then it takes about 24 hours for them to be deleted. 

Yes, but the old way seemed much more effective, they would be hidden after 2 reports, wasn't it? If I remember correctly it didn't need an official mod to do something, it was enough if 2 people deemed it irrelevant... moderating as a community would make mods' lives so much easier.

On 9/1/2021 at 12:35 PM, enunciator said:

Nothing instills hope in my heart that spam might possibly be addressed more than the official "forum spam is an issue" thread being absolutely inundated with spam replies...

Ahhh, @enunciator this is so true! And yet look. 👀  The download.jpg.24015f71dfe4fee666df2cf86b96bb5c.jpg continues. 

On 9/3/2021 at 7:50 AM, sadark said:

Great. Love it. Thanks💖

On 9/3/2021 at 10:13 AM, efathchowdhury said:

Thanks

On 9/3/2021 at 2:20 AM, faisal_ahmed_0 said:

thank you.

On 9/2/2021 at 6:43 PM, akashhossain99 said:

Thanks a lot.

On 9/2/2021 at 12:53 PM, sakib_75_ said:

love This

On 9/2/2021 at 3:24 PM, nazrul780 said:

Great 

1 hour ago, contactprop said:

Thank you for the tip

I wonder if even one of the above posters can specify what precisely they think is "great" or even what they are thanking Mr. Jensen for. Especialy since is the verytype of posts they are making that continue to plague 🏴‍☠️ the FF. 

31 minutes ago, ligiacarvalho said:

I don’t see any difference so far. Maybe it's just me but the same spam posts are still there  🤔

Yup, I see the same. 

49 minutes ago, lenasemenkova said:

I’ve been away for a week or so and it looks to me like it did. Maybe I’m just well-rested or something. 

Perhaps I need another vacation. 

woooooooow the spam is INSANE.

What about a minimum of words per post?

It wouldnt be the solution, but it would mean more effort for the spammers. 🙂

On 9/1/2021 at 7:54 PM, zerlina84 said:

Yes, but the old way seemed much more effective, they would be hidden after 2 reports, wasn't it? If I remember correctly it didn't need an official mod to do something, it was enough if 2 people deemed it irrelevant... moderating as a community would make mods' lives so much easier.

I agree. This forums is a complete mess for 3 moderators. its IMPOSSIBLE to moderate this, especially when they dont have efficient tools (such as spam detection).

Its crazy to think that a huge tech company like Fiverr doesnt invest in something like that.

So community driven spam protection could be the solution. Although the report system can be spammed too.

The solution really is spam detection by software.

Btw, I think most of the spammers here arent even real accounts, just bots that are supposed to drive organic traffic to their fiverr pages or "activity" on their account. Its really simple to program something like that, if Fiverr doesnt do anything to prevent it. I know for example Instagram detects unusual behavior, such as cklicking though EVERY thread and liking EVERY comment. No organic forum user would do that. Its simple to detect that by software. But obviously, nobody cares enough.

8 hours ago, gajuseidi said:

I got this message after replying to ONE post

😱 So changes were implemented indeed. 

I don’t like this restrictions for posting. Because it also limits genuine people that add to the community. And I still see suddenly 20 “welcome” posts appearing from one person on 20 different topics. 

It limits buyers that would like to tell their story or get answers to their questions. And a lot of buyers come here only for one time when they have a problem, they don’t read forum for days. 

It limit sellers that never used the forum and it’s the first problem they encountered and they can’t even discuss it on the FF because of posts limit. 

I didn’t support it on the last forum and I was pretty upset to see that limit again. There are better ways to deal with spam. 

How hard would it be to just... add a "THIS IS SPAM" reaction and check each day how many "THIS IS SPAM" reactions a given poster got, and issue warnings and bans once someone goes over, y'know, 50 of them? We're all doing this in our heads anyway  😄

I honestly think Reddit's up and down system is so elegantly almost-perfect.

Ok. So changes were made. Did it help? No. The forum is still filled to the brim with pointless topics. Its impossible to enjoy the forum when it's 90% garbage posts you can barely understand. There's just as much being posted to the wrong categories. I'm sorry, but it wasn't enough. 

i-have-dreamed-a-dream-but-now-that-dream-is-gone-from-me.jpg

This obviously isn't working. I hit "Unread" this morning and see 30 posts from the same person with meaningless one- or two-word replies. 

Time for Fiverr to try a new anti-spam method. Let posters report spam and penalize the people who do it frequently? Add voting up and down arrows to all topics like in the Questions section? If people get too many down arrows, they can't post?

6 hours ago, melanielm said:

This obviously isn't working. I hit "Unread" this morning and see 30 posts from the same person with meaningless one- or two-word replies. 

Time for Fiverr to try a new anti-spam method. Let posters report spam and penalize the people who do it frequently? Add voting up and down arrows to all topics like in the Questions section? If people get too many down arrows, they can't post?

The problem with up and down-voting in the questions section is that posts are "physically" moved because of it. It creates an incoherent conversation. 

I have an idea, though. The moderators who are paid to keep this forum clean clearly aren't doing a good job, otherwise you wouldn't have so many regulars complaining about the state of things. So how about adding a new rank to the forum? Call it "operator" or something (I know, I miss the IRC days), and give that role the option to hide any topic/post from the front page of the forum that isn't conducive to the quality of the forum or actual questions. Let the operators move posts to their correct category as well. Banning/warning people could still be a moderator only tool. Let the operators have a direct line of communication with the moderators. 

GIve this role to people who have been on the forum for a long time, who contributes to the community on a regular basis, and who has shown themselves worthy of it. 

Give the community back to its users, instead of some invisible team of moderators! 

Archived