SPAM, Trust Levels and topic "clean up"

mjensen415

Hi Everyone.  I’ve heard your feedback. 

We are in a constant state of what the purpose of the forum is. Recently, there has been an influx of comments and posts that make it very difficult to have meaningful conversations. This is partially due to the migration to the new platform. 

The survey everyone took a few months ago showed me some great feedback about what you’d like to use this platform for. Let's get back to that. 

In the previous forum, we had a system that I’ll call “trust levels”.  These allowed users who had hit certain and specific milestones to unlock new features and posting limits.  The more quality posts and interactions, the more trust you gained. 

Over the next day, I will be adding in these systems again.  As such, a lot of you will see significant reductions in the amount of comments you can post in a given time frame. These levels will NOT affect your ability to leave reactions or read conversations. So please, think before you comment and make sure that you're adding value to the conversation.

Level actions to move up and down include but are not limited to: 
Reputation level, activity, quality of posts, age of account, flags.

Some features that can be unlocked when jumping to a new level:
Post amount per day, new areas to have conversations, creation of polls, profile editing 

I am not going to publish the specifics about the triggers or levels, since there are some actors out there who want to “game” the system. That’s not the point of this forum or system.  If you’re an active, productive, helpful member of this community, you will find no issues or changes to your daily interactions here. 

In addition to these user level changes, you will see some significant changes to the topic and conversation forums. These changes will likely be implemented early next week. 

As I’ve said in the past, and I will continue to say: Your participation here in the forum DOES NOT affect your Fiverr seller Gigs, sales, or rankings in anyway. 

I'm going to leave the comments open below, feel free to leave questions or comments here. I’m also available via PM. 

Thank you for reading! 

-MJ

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/25/2021 at 12:57 PM, mjensen415 said:

Over the next day, I will be adding in these systems again.  As such, a lot of you will see significant reductions in the amount of comments you can post in a given time frame. These levels will NOT affect your ability to leave reactions or read conversations. So please, think before you comment and make sure that you're adding value to the conversation.

Bravo! Bravo!  👏  👏  👏 💐

On 8/25/2021 at 12:57 PM, mjensen415 said:

As I’ve said in the past, and I will continue to say: Your participation here in the forum DOES NOT affect your Fiverr seller Gigs, sales, or rankings in anyway. 

⬆️ This needs to be said in BIG letters, because I think that many who participate in the FF do so merely to gain gig rank! 🙄

When I saw the green bar at the top of the forum reading "spam update", I felt like I was dreaming. 😄

I'm a new seller on the platform and a relatively new member on the forum. I have not seen, nor used the old forums, so I don't have a great reference point when trying to highlight the issues this forum has. Nevertheless, I have experienced great difficulty in finding meaningful conversation here, mainly because of all the spam that has been going on. I'm really glad to see that we are heard and that spam is going to be tackled.

Even in such short period of time being here, I've found truly amazing people that kindly share their wisdom and knowledge with us and keep the meaningful conversation going. It's sad to see their posts immediately get drowned by nonsensical rubbish and people congratulating themselves on earning a forum badge 🙄

I really hope that this new system brings some very much needed peace to the forums and let's us have a human conversation, the way it should be.

Yay, I was so excited to learn more about the updates once I saw this post. I am glad some action was taken as I really enjoy the Forum. I hope the Forum can get back on track soon.

I have a question regarding the reported posts. There is still a feeling that any action is being taken as there are people that even after you report a post, the same spam comes back again and again. Any updates on that? 

Cheering news! 👍

And is there any chance to return the system that allowed forum members to hide specific messages or posts that violated community rules until they are reviewed by the forum team? As I remember, it required several reports from different users. 

I am talking about posts with countries, racism, usernames and other things.

53 minutes ago, mjensen415 said:

Over the next day, I will be adding in these systems again.

Fantastic! Thank you!

53 minutes ago, mjensen415 said:

I agree with @vickiespencer, this needs to be displayed prominently, somewhere, so new forum users read it before participating.

23 minutes ago, vovkaslovesnyy said:

I am talking about posts with countries, racism, usernames and other things.

It would be nice if this feature could also hide threads containing plagiarised content. The amount of it on this forum is through the roof at the moment. Sometimes you can browse the homepage and see multiple threads featuring stolen articles. It's not a good look for a site that is supposed to value intellectual property.

The leaders do a decent job of removing it once they've been alerted to it, but the problem is, this sometimes takes a while, and the offending posters have often received several likes and thanks in the meantime. Currently, stealing content is a viable way for shady characters to get attention, and it shouldn't be that way.

37 minutes ago, seven_sign said:

If possible void the "congratulation" word to be count as a letter or word.

Users should be using the "congratulations" reaction/emoji for that. Congrats.png.34306f4bd9461b36257d518737c9a706.png
Maybe those who leave only one word comments that could be covered by leaving a reaction will get a big surprise. ⬇️

1 hour ago, mjensen415 said:

These levels will NOT affect your ability to leave reactions or read conversations. 

I already see examples of the one word posts above. 🙄

On 8/25/2021 at 2:26 PM, mjensen415 said:

Hover over the username. You should see an "ignore" button. 

Right, but it only seems to work for about half of the names I hover over. I had assumed it was tied to rep level, but perhaps I'm wrong about that(?)

Will we be able to ignore anyone we wish to at some point?

10 minutes ago, terrygrantvo said:

Right, but it only seems to work for about half of the names I hover over. I had assumed it was tied to rep level, but perhaps I'm wrong about that(?

Had to check some of the permissions on some groups. MOST all users can be ignored now. You can not ignore me or any other "Fiverr Staff". 

22 minutes ago, mjensen415 said:

Can you give me some time! This is a big permissions and group change rollout and it's going to take me a bit.  🤣

More time!!! We can't afford more time. We want to cancel the order. 😄

16 minutes ago, mjensen415 said:

Had to check some of the permissions on some groups. MOST all users can be ignored now. 

Yep. Seems good now. Cheers for that, MJ.

16 minutes ago, mjensen415 said:

You can not ignore me or any other "Fiverr Staff". 

This is completely unacceptable. 😉

On 8/25/2021 at 2:50 PM, mjensen415 said:

Had to check some of the permissions on some groups. MOST all users can be ignored now. You can not ignore me or any other "Fiverr Staff". 

When we've gotten 5,000 names blocked, do we get more space?  

On 8/25/2021 at 2:50 PM, mjensen415 said:

You can not ignore me or any other "Fiverr Staff". 

The Breakfast Club John Bender GIF

3 minutes ago, melanielm said:

Thank you very much in advance. I do hope this works and improves the overall experience here.

I wonder if all the daily allotment for the low ranked people will now be, "Why can't I post on the forum?" (except spelled badly) 😁

Melanie, I wanted to give you a ❤️ for the first line, and laugh at the second line.

Archived