Report a Buyer Request

helenabester

Question

"Seeking: writer to write 50,000 words of lore in 30 days for a vampire worldbuilding project. Will need to write places, groups and the like for this world. Budget is $66/£50, cannot go over that. Word count is 50,000, not going any lower Please read the attached doc and add the code word so I know you read the file."

The above buyers request has been cycling for months now on the Buyers Request section.   The Buyer posts 3-4 times per day.   The attached doc is very strongly worded - THIS IS THE PRICE, THIS IS THE WORD COUNT.   

It is real irritating!   It feels like a scam to me - why would anyone post the same request over and over and over?   Can this be investigated and where can we report suspicious buyers requests?   I think it will make the community much better if it was possible to do so. 

7 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, helenabester said:

THIS IS THE PRICE, THIS IS THE WORD COUNT.   

At some point, the doc said 'actually, this is volunteer work, but you have to get 2000 words done every day, etc. etc'. It's either a scam or just someone genuinely desperate thinking they'll find the 'right' fit at some point. Unfortunately, the only way I've found the report BRs has been through CS - and even then, the people kept posting on the site for a very long time (even though I was told that they'd be investigated). I was also told to just block them but - how? (the person I reported was the - very cool person (not) looking for dubious content possibly involving minors... 

I don't check BR that often but I see more 'weird' ones than good ones - and I'm not sure just... what we can do other than ignore them. 

Considering I work with this person, they were given a very small budget to find writers to work for them to do this job. While the rate it low, the work can be considered fun and it's definitely a great job to pass the time. 2000 words a day is not hard to accomplish for the right writer, and the topic is easy to follow and build upon. 
While it does seem like a suspicious BR, I can say with certainty that it is not, and the abuse that this buyer is receiving as a result of having a low budget is insane. They are a nice and very workable client, I can say this from first-hand experience.

17 hours ago, debraspencley said:

2000 words a day is not hard to accomplish for the right writer, and the topic is easy to follow and build upon. 

See - I understand in some ways (and I do realise that it might be tricky to get writers on such a low budget. Definitely not fun.) But... most people on here are trying to earn a living (or something akin to that.) 50k words for 60 bucks is just not something that can be done as work. Could they find someone to volunteer (say, on discord, forums, etc.?) probably. If I had more time I'd be proofreading manhwas (I don't have the time so don't do that right now) for free. The issue is sounding demanding in the file (which, to be fair, is probably the result of people quoting them much higher prices and maybe not being too nice...) AND trying to pass off a  basically volunteer - project as proper work. 2k words a day for me (if I took on a project like this) would mean me losing out on at least a hundred bucks a day. Planning times/revisions not included. It's not something I could manage (and I believe many other writers would have to agree.)

Could be a fun nano project for a new writer/someone who is super into lore and has lots of time, though.

On 11/8/2021 at 12:33 PM, debraspencley said:

they were given a very small budget to find writers to work for them to do this job

Oh. A reseller. Or a subcontractor. Maybe some poor grunt at a Kickstarted game company that wasted their budget. There is still the possibility of it begin a scammer who's just really good at sticking to their story.

I suppose, as long as you're enjoying yourself. AND AS LONG AS they (or their 'boss') don't turn into r/ChoosingBeggars

10 hours ago, imagination7413 said:

Maybe some poor grunt at a Kickstarted game company

Welllll...

As someone who is looking into having my game kickstarted...

That is a VERY real possibility. I didn't even consider it! In the end in this case it'd be cheaper to put the writer on team (with credits and an x percent of profit) or something but I guess that's not something one can do on here so... yeah. 

1 hour ago, katakatica said:

In the end in this case it'd be cheaper to put the writer on team

Maybe they did have a writer, but the writer quit. That would usually mean hiring a new writer, but if something was mid-production...

Still feels scammy, though.

1 hour ago, katakatica said:

As someone who is looking into having my game kickstarted...

WAY off-topic, but I must comment: Awesome! Do you follow the GDC YouTube channel? (I suppose if this gets too off-topic, we could jump to DM. I'm a minor gamer, and I'll admit curiosity.)

Archived