I would like to have a different account as a Buyer, but I know it's not allowed.

teramangala

Question

Hello lightworkers,

I have a future plan to be a buyer on Fiverr, but in an area that has nothing to do with my current seller account. I wouldn't want my purchases to appear on my seller account, but I know that it's not allowed to have 2 different seller / buyer accounts (to prevent smart people from buying their gig themselves, without doubt), does anyone have an opinion?

I know I will be able to remain anonymous on my purchases by not leaving reviews, but I want to use this review system.

19 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

In my case, I am a writer, but I don't write any legal content for example. So if I want to buy any writing content that's legal in nature, I would be blocked. Needless to say, they won't do that.

Yes, I get that, but still, there probably are many sellers who'd buy, or buy more often, from another niche, if they wouldn't have to do it on their seller account, so they are shooting themselves in the foot with that too.

I've already pondered whether to go to another platform when I want to buy, without any sinister motives, and I certainly haven't bought as much as I would have else, and I don't really see a transparency issue with allowing sellers to buy outside their own niche with a separate account, and I'm certainly not such a special case that I can be the only one. I've even had bad effects on my seller account when I didn't reply to a seller I bought from who had left a message both in inbox and on order page ... I had felt like it's only needed to reply in one place, obviously not, since I'm a seller, generally, even though in that transaction, I was a buyer. I really didn't get that at all. 

Maybe they could have a setup that would make it possible to buy and leave reviews outside of a seller's own niche, and only to buy but not leave reviews when a seller buys within their own niche, to both get the revenue of sellers who would buy if they could on a separate account and also prevent sellers leaving purposefully bad reviews to harm competitors. Which, I feel, would probably mostly be done from not allowed multiple accounts or friends' accounts or such, anyway.

Maybe, there could be an automated check, and if someone regularly buys within their own niche and leaves less than 5-star reviews, it could be checked, whether it's a case like you described, or a reseller.

I also think that many resellers wouldn't really leave bad reviews anyway, when buying from competitors, at least not if they want to use the service more often, and also might probably be afraid that someone will report them if they think it's an attempt at dunking a competitor and that they may risk their account like that?

26 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

So you can see who outsources and who lies about working on that themselves. I actually caught a few outsources that are saying they "work on their own". Obviously that's not the case.

I have the feeling that this is something that usually, other seller-buyers might catch, though, just-buyers probably not so often. Same like often, when we on the forum, mostly being sellers, and a buyer posts about having been scammed, are like "you should've seen that coming", but that's often probably more due to us being sellers/frequent forum users than to "should've".

But yes, it's not easy, there's interest conflicts and all, and perhaps no way, or only a too complicated way, to set it up to catch everything, as in other aspects. It's probably easier to just leave it as it is than figuring out a better system. 

On 8/18/2021 at 1:14 PM, theratypist said:

Crazy suggestion but since you're accepting opinions. Here it is.... 😂

Get a Fiverr Business account (the first year is free). You can have two accounts, one Fiverr Business and one normal account. You can see at the bottom of this post it says sellers should have two separate accounts.

https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360010395297-Creating-your-Fiverr-Business-account?segment=business

If you are a new user that does not have a Business account:

1. When you put in an email address that already exists on Fiverr, you will be asked to try and use a different email. Alternatively, you can choose to sign in at the bottom of the page. If you click this option, you will be taken to the Fiverr sign-in page.
  2. Once logged into your Fiverr account, you will be asked whether or not you would like to keep your two Fiverr accounts or if you would like to merge the accounts. If you choose to keep two accounts, you will be asked to replace the existing account’s email (assuming it’s your Business email). Thereafter, you will be redirected to the Join Fiverr Business page.
  3. When clicking on Learn More (to merge the accounts), you will be notified that your personal Fiverr Balance will become “private.” Customers can’t spend private funds in a Business account. The only way to receive the funds back is from Customer Support.
    • Note: Sellers cannot merge accounts; they are required to have two accounts.

Thank for this information.

On 8/18/2021 at 1:44 PM, theratypist said:

Get a Fiverr Business account (the first year is free). You can have two accounts, one Fiverr Business and one normal account. You can see at the bottom of this post it says sellers should have two separate accounts.

https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360010395297-Creating-your-Fiverr-Business-account?segment=business

1. When you put in an email address that already exists on Fiverr, you will be asked to try and use a different email. Alternatively, you can choose to sign in at the bottom of the page. If you click this option, you will be taken to the Fiverr sign-in page.
  2. Once logged into your Fiverr account, you will be asked whether or not you would like to keep your two Fiverr accounts or if you would like to merge the accounts. If you choose to keep two accounts, you will be asked to replace the existing account’s email (assuming it’s your Business email). Thereafter, you will be redirected to the Join Fiverr Business page.
  3. When clicking on Learn More (to merge the accounts), you will be notified that your personal Fiverr Balance will become “private.” Customers can’t spend private funds in a Business account. The only way to receive the funds back is from Customer Support.

Helpful. 

On 8/18/2021 at 5:44 AM, donnovan86 said:

In my case, I am a writer, but I don't write any legal content for example. So if I want to buy any writing content that's legal in nature, I would be blocked.

That's not correct. I sell VO's and have bought VO's to complete multi voice projects. 

Hm, I really don't know about this up/downvoting. In some threads, it doesn't seem to make sense at all, and is only making threads hard to follow. Up/downvoting facts in reply to a question, okay, maybe, but up/downvote opinions? Well, I guess everybody needs a hobby.

34 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

I mean.. you could buy from Fiverr and not rate the seller. That way you don't have to worry about the seller rating you and showing it on your page...

I could, but I do want to rate the seller, especially if they are mostly new and don't have a review, or many reviews. And it's just one among other issues that keep me from buying with my seller account, one of them the above-mentioned issue, that your seller stats may drop because you didn't reply to your seller both on order page and inbox as a buyer, another one being that other buyers can contact you to ask about a review/seller you bought from, what they wouldn't be able to do if you were on an "only buyer account". Okay, the latter wouldn't happen if you didn't leave reviews, but, again, I do want to leave reviews.

Oh, well, it's not a big problem in the grand scheme of things, of course, just my opinion for OP, I can absolutely comprehend his "wish". I can just not buy, or buy somewhere else, if my reservations to buying as a seller win out. 

ETA: Also, I wanted to reply to a post that addresses us as "lightworkers", vs. "Fiverrians" or such, how awesome is that 😉

9 minutes ago, miiila said:

I've already pondered whether to go to another platform when I want to buy,

I mean.. you could buy from Fiverr and not rate the seller. That way you don't have to worry about the seller rating you and showing it on your page... This way you get to avoid the issue and still buy from Fiverr.

10 minutes ago, miiila said:

not allowing to buy Gigs from the niche you are in as a seller.

Fiverr would shoot themselves in the foot if they would do that.

In my case, I am a writer, but I don't write any legal content for example. So if I want to buy any writing content that's legal in nature, I would be blocked. Needless to say, they won't do that.

I am ok with the idea of showing what you buy and what you sell. It shows transparency, and it also shows any abuse. You can see if people are buying within the same niche often, when they buy, and when you receive your work. So you can see who outsources and who lies about working on that themselves. I actually caught a few outsources that are saying they "work on their own". Obviously that's not the case.

1 hour ago, donnovan86 said:

I know, but that's the way it is. Fiverr wants to show transparency. And there's a reason for that. There are a lot of people buying and reselling, by showing purchases and reviews, a potential buyer gets to identify resellers and stay away from them. I assume that's why they are doing this in the first place.

There are some reasons I can fully understand, the problem is that you always have to account for people abusing whatever. But there may be ways to deal with this, for example, not allowing to buy Gigs from the niche you are in as a seller. My past purchases, for example, are mostly graphic stuff, and just for fun, as gifts, etc., and there's not really any reason for those to be visible on my seller profile, but, like teramangala, I do want to leave reviews when I buy stuff. 

1 hour ago, theratypist said:

Get a Fiverr Business account (the first year is free).

Not such a crazy suggestion, I've been pondering that already too, as it seems to be the only option, however, anyone pondering it, should keep in mind that while free for the first year, it's $149 from the 2nd year (at least that was the current price, when I last checked), and then there's the question if the option to have two separate accounts is worth it.

However, if you wouldn't use the separate buyer account for private purchases but for business, of course you could deduct it when doing your taxes, so it might be fine.

6 minutes ago, teramangala said:

Business account: to see, but it seems a bit "risky" for my seller account!

Are there people who are in this case: seller account + bussiness account?

I don't think its intuitive for most sellers to get a business account. Because the only thing you can do there is buy stuff. 

If you have a seller account, and you click on the "Create A Business Account" on https://www.fiverr.com/business it looks like this

Untitled.png.816c93224c17aa07ab6ba98d95a9e189.png

You can always ask Customer Support if its a good move 😄

I know, but that's the way it is. Fiverr wants to show transparency. And there's a reason for that. There are a lot of people buying and reselling, by showing purchases and reviews, a potential buyer gets to identify resellers and stay away from them. I assume that's why they are doing this in the first place.

23 minutes ago, teramangala said:

I wouldn't want my purchases to appear on my seller account, but I know that it's not allowed to have 2 different seller / buyer accounts (to prevent smart people from buying their gig themselves, without doubt), does anyone have an opinion?

Archived