Should fiverr be checking qualifications.

drasnia

After a few years away from fiverr I decided to take another look since its growth over recent years.

One thing that stands out especially is the amount of "experts" and "professionals" with years of experience and university degrees. Selling low quality gigs

With the whole fiverr tos about honesty and deception do you think fiverr should be checking these qualifications and work experience before allowing new sellers with 0 reviews to be signing up and claiming to have years of experience and be market leading professionals..

I have just come across one guy who is claiming to be university educated in the united states at the cost of thousands of dollars and then rather bizarrely he has shot straight back to Bangladesh and started selling $5 gigs. 

The reality seems to be most of these sellers are doing $150 fast track courses in bangladesh - https://outsourcinginstitute.net/#   and claiming to be industry leaders in their field.

Now clearly we know this is false but fiverr seem to turn a blind eye to this.

I was just wondering others opinions on this

Edited by drasnia
  • Like 8
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1

Fiverr is very much the wild west in terms of what people claim to be and how punishment is (or isn't) dispensed to liars, cheats, and rule breakers.

A proper system in place to vet that a seller can actually deliver what they claim to be able to deliver would be a great step in weeding out the cheats and the incompetent, but it would also fundamentally change Fiverr from being a (nearly) open marketplace platform to one of curated sellers. Pro rated sellers have gone through a vetting process, so the capability to vet sellers is present, but the sheer number of sellers on the platform makes trying to vet every seller a ridiculously Herculean task.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, enunciator said:

Fiverr is very much the wild west

Funny story, but I literally had a buyer tell me this in a conversation a few days ago..... 

Her words "I don't know if you're aware but its like the Wild West out there. You're literally the best thing that happened to me on Fiverr." 😂😂😂

I apologized to her in behalf of all the sellers that burned her out. 😩

• Like 10
  • Sad 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm torn on this. On the one hand, your suggestion would obviously make the site seem much more reputable. On the other hand, I often find it easy to spot scammers because they claim to have silly degrees, such as background removal from Harvard or web scraping from USA University. 

Edited by ahmwritingco
  • Like 7
  • Haha 9
  • Thanks 1

But every new seller has to go through a manual id verification as some point surely its as simple as having the qualifications they claim to possess checked at the same time.

In a culture where everyone is an expert than no one is... It Brings the whole website credibility down

And I agree we can easily tell but I am sure many buyers take the descriptions as face value.... 

Edited by drasnia
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, drasnia said:

I have just come across one guy who is claiming to be university educated in the united states at the cost of thousands of dollars and then rather bizarrely he has shot straight back to Bangladesh and started selling $5 gigs. 

This ⬆️ made me laugh. If only these sellers realized how rediculous they sound. 🙄

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

When I spot an obviously fake seller/gig I make sure to report them to CS...or at least I used to.
Recently I got the impression that CS refuse to take action unless the gig is OBVIOUSLY fake like stolen logos, stolen descriptions. You provide them the links of the original seller/design etc, and it takes only 2 seconds for them to check. No digging necessary, the proof is all there. So simple and fast.
On the other hand when I tried providing CS with a crap quality translation which I was asked to proofread and edit by a "certified" professional native translator, they did nothing. I guess it was too much work for them to open the file and see. I was once told by CS that "they have the means to check whether a translation is decent or not," but I don't believe them anymore. Back in the day, CS got rid of those people right away but I gave up a while ago, while I know those sellers are still getting orders and good reviews and stealing from people. It's sad, CS doesn't even need to open the file I sent, they just need to read the seller's description which has several grammar errors. But nope, they are not doing it. At this point I think I'm more upset at CS than the fake sellers.

Not sure why though, like I said, back in the day they were quick.
Are they too busy?? Or they just don't care anymore.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I personally think its down to money..

Their share price jumped last year due to their "growth"

So if they can show a million new sellers a year they can show their growth... Doesn't matter to them if 990000 of the new sellers cant even spell their own name I suppose

If it carries on at the rate it is though it will literally become a low quality spam site

• Like 6
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1

The ones that make me laugh are the ones that are certified internet marketing experts who want to know why they are not getting gigs, and want advice on how to get sales. If I was an actual marketing expert I'd be making a whole lot more money right now. 

Should people's credentials should be vetted... I personally don't have any credentials so it doesn't seem very important to me. But I'm in an art category. Maybe it's different for programmers or accountants or people with proper certifications. Getting good reviews and rising to the top of the stack is good enough for me. but If you want better than that, maybe being a Pro seller is a good idea. I feel like maybe that's the whole point of Pro. You can go through the huge market of unvetted, or you can skip straight to the vetted sellers that way.

The Fiverr tests were sort of a good idea for "proving" someone has a skill - but what a failure in execution. The photoshop test is four years old, so it asks questions from that year. Some of the answers are actually wrong relative to the current edition. Some of them are about stupid hot keys I would never use ever. And if that wasn't enough reason to hate the tests, you can find all the multiple choice answers on your phone. So unscrupulous people could just ace the test with a google search. Pointless. Ah well.

• Like 11
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, newsmike said:

This is why I continue to advocate for a minimum charge of $50 or so every month to sell on fiverr. Scammers will scatter like flies. 

True. But it will also push talented people that have low prices or generate little to no sales. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, newsmike said:

Low price, no sales sellers are what's clogging up the algorithm, and causing Fiverr to suffer from a poor image.

I agree part of the problem is there are literally no barriers to entry. Anyone can sign up and copy 90% of someone elses gig and then claim to be the market leader.

I have seen claims of Harvard university, working for the likes of apple and IBM... People can just sign up and claim to be an expert and they lose nothing from trying and it costs them nothing.

• Like 9
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, drasnia said:

I agree part of the problem is there are literally no barriers to entry. Anyone can sign up and copy 90% of someone elses gig and then claim to be the market leader.

I have seen claims of Harvard university, working for the likes of apple and IBM... People can just sign up and claim to be an expert and they lose nothing from trying and it costs them nothing.

Yes, it's true and fiverr should take actions on telling lie. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rabiul2222 said:

Yes, it's true and fiverr should take actions on telling lie.

You have a Bachelors and Masters Degree in English .......... I'm not saying your degree isn't real. Maybe it is. I just feel like your English skills isn't what I'd expect from someone with a degree in English. 

"Hi, I’m Rabiul Alam, an Google Ads, Digital Marketing, Virtual Assistant, and B2B Lead Generation Expert."

With your expertise in digital marketing and lead generation, you should at least have gotten some sales by now, you have been a seller since March 2021. Plus its *a Google

Edited by theratypist
  • Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, theratypist said:

With your expertise in digital marketing and lead generation, you should at least have gotten some sales by now, you have been a seller since March 2021. Plus its *a Google

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Marketer, market thyself. Marketing is one of the most important skills in today's word and IT'S REALLY HARD.  Please don't pretend to be an expert in the subject if you can't get orders for yourself.

It kind of seems like most people who are advertising themselves as marketing experts actually mean "I know a lot of bots who can artificially inflate your numbers but won't get your anything real cuz if I could I'd get them to order from me, too."

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, theratypist said:

I just feel like your English skills isn't what I'd expect from someone with a degree in English. 

I believe his English degree was earned during the 2 week course at the "Brooklyn Academy of Bartending and Shoe Repair." 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rachelbostwick said:

Marketer, market thyself. Marketing is one of the most important skills in today's word and IT'S REALLY HARD. 

At this point, I've read hundreds, HUNDREDS of posts saying stuff like
"You need to market yourself." "Market yourself online!" "Use social media!" "You need to look for your target market,"
market, market, market.

I don't even know what that means. I've given a good number of advice here on the forum, mainly stuff like "be professional, have someone check your gig description, be sure to check out other people's gigs," etc etc. I gave these advice because I've done these myself and I kinda-sorta know what I am talking about.
But I've never said "you need to market yourself" because I have NO idea how. I might have said something like "You need to do research on how to market yourself," that's about it. Ever since I've joined Fiverr 10 years ago, I've NEVER marketed my gigs. Why? Number one, I don't know how. Number two, I started getting orders on the very same day I posted my gigs, BUT that was after spending HOURS putting the gigs together, and plus back then there was less competition so I got lucky as well. In the end though, I know I got sales because I did everything correctly from the start. (wow, sounds arrogant!)

IF I was to go try another platform similar to Fiverr and start from scratch I'm sure I won't be getting sales right away because I don't know how to market myself.
I'm sure I'll be doing some research, but at one point I know I'll ask help from the experts, and I am ready to pay good money for that.

I got curious and checked "digital/online marketing gigs" on Fiverr, and yup, a lot of them ain't cheap, but they sure do seem like they know what they are doing!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, zeus777 said:

But I've never said "you need to market yourself" because I have NO idea how. 

Me neither. Just to be clear, I was only directly this line at the people who have "expert social media marketer" as their gig and then are upset because they can't get any customers. The #1 reason I'm working on Fiverr is that I've never had to run an ad or anything like that to get my sales. I know how to do the act of setting up an ad campaign on Facebook or Twitter but making one that makes money is a skill I don't have. People that don't know how to get a single sale shouldn't call themselves expert marketers. People who are really good at marketing deserve every penny they charge.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I don't think they should check "qualifications", because that's pretty irrelevant. It doesn't matter what university degree you put on your profile, that has no bearing whatsoever on your work (seeing as any type of academic work is prohibited anyway).

What Fiverr should do better is check for blatant lies on the gig copy, low quality gigs, stolen assets and profile pics, etc. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure it's going to happen now... or soon. 

If you open their official account, you will see that in order to start selling, all you need to do is the following: join Fiverr, use Fiverr courses and read forum. There's nothing about your skills, degrees, and whatsoever. I forgot sharing in social media that transforms any post into a bulletin board. 

It partly explains the current situation with this forum. 

At the same time, skilled freelancers will find their way to success, while this wave will be over (I hope so), and Fiverr will transform into the earthy heaven 😁

IMG_20210819_001101_151.thumb.jpg.a70e4a8539769174fc24ca776f3fce58.jpg IMG_20210819_005319_020.thumb.jpg.1fc08e7f906f3a4d2aa12425353062ab.jpg

Edited by vovkaslovesnyy
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, vovkaslovesnyy said:

At the same time, skilled freelancers will find their way to success,

Yes, but because of the problems we are discussing, they have to crawl through a sea of muck like Tim Robbins escaping in the Shawshank Redemption. 

andy crawling GIF

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...