'It's a long term project.'

Please, Buyers:  Don't tell us it is a 'long term project' before you know us.   

It does not make sense in the real world:  you won't hire someone for a huge project before you know the person, his/her way of working or before knowing if your personalities are in sync.  

Dangling the bait of a long term project before a new seller is unprofessional and unethical, in my opinion.   Even if you really do have a big project, check out the seller first with a small job.   

• Like 14
  • Confused 3
  • Up 4

Sometimes it is told by genuine buyers who are searching for people they can trust with their businesses and sometimes, it is told by genuine scammers who try to con freelancers/sellers to provide them with free works/samples. It is upto you, the seller, to differentiate between these two types of people. And I guess, experience helps a lot in this regard. The more you deal with people, the less you fall for cheap tricks. Period.

• Like 6
  • Up 2

2 hours ago, helenabester said:

Dangling the bait of a long term project before a new seller

They dangle that same bait for experienced sellers too, unfortunately.
It's their way of trying to get a discount from skilled people. Luckily though, most skilled sellers don't fall for that...
Sometimes those buyers tries to get a "free sample" from new sellers saying that it MIGHT lead to a long-term project. That's a red flag too!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, zeus777 said:

They dangle that same bait for experienced sellers too, unfortunately.

I have had a couple that were in fact wanting to retain the same voice for a series of videos in a campaign. Often an ad campaign uses the same talent for recognizability. Look at Flo hawking Progressive insurance for 15 years now.  But I certainly get your point.  😀 Also a thing. 

Do You Want Insurance At New Highs - Progressive (PGR ...

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The "long term project" bait is only annoying to me if it's "-therefore please pay me very little."

One time I had someone who wanted me to format a book for him at a "bulk rate" that was laughably, laughably low. I don't remember exactly but something like five dollars. "I have a thousand of these so there will be a lot more work for you." 

Sir, a thousand five-dollar projects is Hell, not an enticement.

• Like 5