'It's a long term project.'

helenabester

Please, Buyers:  Don't tell us it is a 'long term project' before you know us.   

It does not make sense in the real world:  you won't hire someone for a huge project before you know the person, his/her way of working or before knowing if your personalities are in sync.  

Dangling the bait of a long term project before a new seller is unprofessional and unethical, in my opinion.   Even if you really do have a big project, check out the seller first with a small job.   

• Like 222
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 21
  • Thanks 2

Sometimes it is told by genuine buyers who are searching for people they can trust with their businesses and sometimes, it is told by genuine scammers who try to con freelancers/sellers to provide them with free works/samples. It is upto you, the seller, to differentiate between these two types of people. And I guess, experience helps a lot in this regard. The more you deal with people, the less you fall for cheap tricks. Period.

• Like 145
  • Congrats! 6
  • Up 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, helenabester said:

Dangling the bait of a long term project before a new seller

They dangle that same bait for experienced sellers too, unfortunately.
It's their way of trying to get a discount from skilled people. Luckily though, most skilled sellers don't fall for that...
Sometimes those buyers tries to get a "free sample" from new sellers saying that it MIGHT lead to a long-term project. That's a red flag too!

• Like 118
  • Haha 3
  • Congrats! 4
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 5

On 8/16/2021 at 12:06 PM, zeus777 said:

I have had a couple that were in fact wanting to retain the same voice for a series of videos in a campaign. Often an ad campaign uses the same talent for recognizability. Look at Flo hawking Progressive insurance for 15 years now.  But I certainly get your point.  😀 Also a thing. 

Do You Want Insurance At New Highs - Progressive (PGR ...

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 106
  • Congrats! 4
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 2

The "long term project" bait is only annoying to me if it's "-therefore please pay me very little."

One time I had someone who wanted me to format a book for him at a "bulk rate" that was laughably, laughably low. I don't remember exactly but something like five dollars. "I have a thousand of these so there will be a lot more work for you." 

Sir, a thousand five-dollar projects is Hell, not an enticement.

• Like 110
  • Haha 5
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 4

• 5 months later...

Was going to make a new topic but found this thread. 🙂

I had a buyer today ask me for two 1,400 word voiceovers. It had to be done in 2 hours. He wanted it for $5 and argued this was a good test for him to see how we work together. Not only that, he talked about being long-term, meeting on Zoom, AND told me to send the offer to his friend, not to him. I know, now that I'm saying it, it sounds like a sham, but don't be afraid sellers to think critically about your buyers' requests and say no if something feels off. 

• Like 106
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, mike_check said:

Was going to make a new topic but found this thread. 🙂

I had a buyer today ask me for two 1,400 word voiceovers. It had to be done in 2 hours. He wanted it for $5 and argued this was a good test for him to see how we work together. Not only that, he talked about being long-term, meeting on Zoom, AND told me to send the offer to his friend, not to him. I know, now that I'm saying it, it sounds like a sham, but don't be afraid sellers to think critically about your buyers' requests and say no if something feels off. 

Only about 5 red flags on that scammer.  Funny pitch, "Let me underpay you now so you can prove your skills, and then I will reward you by underpaying you on an ongoing basis."  Morons. 

• Like 95
  • Congrats! 5
  • Up 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2021 at 11:06 PM, zeus777 said:

It's their way of trying to get a discount from skilled people. Luckily though, most skilled sellers don't fall for that...
Sometimes those buyers tries to get a "free sample" from new sellers saying that it MIGHT lead to a long-term project. That's a red flag too!

This couldn't be more accurate. I have buyers saying those stuff when I was a new seller and even now as a L2 seller, then proceed to ask for a discounted price. Asking for $10 off from $250 because you're short on budget is reasonable, but asking for $100 off from $250 is a whole different story 🙂 it only makes you seem disrespectful and inconsiderate, especially if it's just your first time purchasing from the gig

• Like 94
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 3

On 8/16/2021 at 7:58 PM, helenabester said:

It does not make sense in the real world:  you won't hire someone for a huge project before you know the person, his/her way of working or before knowing if your personalities are in sync.  

Dangling the bait of a long term project before a new seller is unprofessional and unethical, in my opinion.   Even if you really do have a big project, check out the seller first with a small job.   

Hello buyers, I want to say that not all new sellers are not unprofessional . There have a lot of sellers who are old in theirs work but in new in fiverr member.. And its

good you  check out the seller first with a small job then trust them.

• Like 98
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I usually say "After 2 weeks of consistent orders, I will gladly provide a discount". This sets the stage as they can usually run off without even returning after the first order.

As a note for buyers, if you're messaging us to start a business relationship, I'd advise against starting it with "can I get a discount".

Edited by nicks_voice
  • Like 74
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 4

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 8/16/2021 at 9:58 PM, helenabester said:

I always tell my clients that we should get this order done before the next one. In truth, I prefer working on short-term projects here on Fiverr, as they keep me interested in my work and I don't have to "rely" on any one buyer.

• Like 50

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with your perspective on this issue. It is not only unprofessional but also unrealistic to expect a seller to commit to a long-term project before getting to know each other and assessing compatibility. It is important for both parties to have a clear understanding of each other's working style and communication preferences before committing to a long-term project. A small project can be a great way to test the waters and ensure that the working relationship is a good fit before moving forward with a larger project.

• Like 42

• 9 months later...

It's my opinion In fact, when Bayer has a big project, he can first test Seller ability with a small job and then give him the big project. In this, the buyer can complete his project perfectly

• Like 26

• 2 months later...

Actually I noticed most of the client say this to reduce the budget of the work so that we can work, and he uses us to make their own benefit. But I do not take order from these clients. Because at glance I feel trust issues on the client 

• Like 16

Some buyers also said that I have a lot of projects or that it's a long-term project, so offer me a reasonable offer. Even though I offer them a low budget, they don't get any replies. That's why my opinion is that don't believe these types of words like 'it's a long-term project" or "I have a lot of projects".

• Like 15

• 1 month later...

That is one cliche way to drop down the  actual price of the projejct just by giving false hope that we will be their long term client. Actual people who have the intention to offer long term contracts normally don't end up saying things like this staright forward. 

• Like 10