How To Spot Potentiality In New Sellers?

nyantsa

Hello Community,

First of all, I would like to say thank you to all those buyers who actually give a chance to new sellers like me.

Secondly, today I would like to share with you how to spot potentiality in a new seller.
As you already know, it’s difficult to know how good is the seller without a review. So new sellers really struggle a lot, not only for making the first sale but also to get more sales after the first sale.

Lastly, without any further ado, here are the tips:

1. The gig description:
    You may have seen this over and over again, and you know that a new seller serious about his business will take the time to write an appropriate description. A poor description, or a copy-paste is a sign that the seller only cares about your money and nothing more.

2. The FAQ:
    New sellers have probably nobody asking them any question. But that does not mean FAQ should be blank. Generally, new sellers would go through the gigs of their related-field TRS. So they would read the FAQ and get an idea of what buyers are looking for. They would then try to gain the buyer’s trust by providing well-crafted answers related to FAQs.

3. The gig Images and Videos:
    This is the most powerful asset for a new seller, so you can be sure they will try to use it to its fullest potential. Personally, I am still working on it (since the design process is not easy task). What I mean is you will experience improvements in the gig images.
    It is said that videos are selling more that static images. One good reason about it is that videos ARE investment (either be it in terms of time or energy or money). And videos pass through a ~24h verification process before coming live. So you can be sure that the Fiverr team has reviewed it before approving it.

4. The seller’s profile:
    Most sellers that I went through have a copy-paste like type of description. Not to name anyone but you may encounter somthing like “hello, i am a *** with *** years of experience”. I mean, yes, describing how long has one been in the field is important, but there are many ways to make it original. Additionally, an original description of a seller is a sign that there is creativity, and therefore potential.

5. The QUALITY of the gigs:
    As written above, description and FAQs are essentials, but the overall quality of the gig is also important. A premium package featuring less items than a basic package can be a sign of a scam. But it can also mean that the seller is did not adapt to the platform yet. So you should see some adjustments in the gig after some time. New sellers often rely on the quantity of the gigs to get more ranking and exposure. But be aware that one well-crafted service is worth more than 7 poorly-crafted “I will make money as fast as I can” gigs.

6. The forum:
    Many new sellers are joining the forum. But I think it’s just for the sake of it. In fact, few sellers would really get interested in a discussion or create a quality content. Many would promote their gigs and think that sales are going to boost right away. But, being active on the forum is not a 100% sure metric for spotting potential in new sellers, but it can, depending on how you would rate the posts and comments of that particular seller (some personality traits of the seller could be taken in account). However, you would see professionalism and courtesy in their posts and comments.

That said, I would like to highlight some metrics that could be misleading in concluding if a new sellers has potential or not.
Let’s clarify this, those metrics can be used to consider a new seller, but it is more on a subjective way:

• The response time:
    Most buyers may be tempted to forget about a seller if he or she replies late. But let me tell you that a new seller may still be busy somewhere else. For exemple, he/she has a job, or he/she is still a student, etc… The response time is not set yet for a seller who has nothing in his inbox so you may feel concerned about the response time. Take it as like you with social media and emails. You may take time to reply all your messages, but that does not necessarily mean that you are not serious or unprofessional.

• The promotions:
    A lot of new sellers would promote their gigs. For example during this Xmas and New Year period. Promotions are made to generate more sales in a relatively small time period. So generally, poor quality work would do a lot of promotions to get more attention.
    I do not say that promotion itself is bad. But I do say that for a buyer, a promotion from a new seller is not a reliable metric to judge if the seller is good or not.

• The offers related to buyers request:
    A well-crafted offer is a good sign, always. Because it shows that the seller have actually read your request and tailored his answer for you. But that does not make the offer a metric to rate the competence of a seller. Always make sure to go through the description of the gig and the seller profile.

I hope this helps you in finding the new sellers out there who have so much to give to you. If that is the case, please like this post.
If there is anything you would like to comment on in what I said, please post it below, I would be glad to hear your thoughts.
Thank you for reading until the end 😊

• Like 226
  • Up 9
  • Thanks 17

What are your thoughts on: profiles with gigs that drastically differ (to the point of being in majorly different categories), and profiles with gigs that are all similar but are actually carefully crafted to offer unique services?

Post with different categories can be a sign of skillset within a seller itself,

But again, it can be another “I just want to make money fast” scheme, since it has been widely popular to create gigs in different categories so that the seller can have more buyer requests access.

In this case I would suggest to see if the seller has done some tests in Fiverr to justify his/her claims about a particular service

And similar gigs carefully crafted can be a sign of someone who really knows what he or she is doing. Therefore he/she would offer the right gig service to the right person (like a niche).

Top Rated sellers do this as I observed. They may offer you a vector tracing of a 3D image and a vector tracing for a flat image, which are really different things in the design world. But from a buyer’s perspective it’s still vector tracing. So we can say this gig strategy is used to address to specific buyers.

• Like 107
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 6

I would agree with what you’ve put. Certainly, when I was a new seller I made mistakes. However, I did try and have a good description and some FAQs to start me off. At first, I used a snap of me as the gig image but then I moved to using a pro photo, which I think helps.

Jim

PS, I’m sorry but with my proofreader/copy editor’s hat on…it’s not “further due” it’s “further ado.”

• Like 111
  • Haha 8
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

Hi, Fiverr Community!

I would like to say, that the best way to spot potentiality in new sellers is to order the first work. Offen newbies are much more enthusiastic and attentive to details than the 5-year sellers. I would recommend ordering the 1 work for the lowest price he or she offers and then draw a conclusion about the quality and speed of the seller’s work.

Believe that it can help you a bit 😉 )

• Like 95
  • Congrats! 5
  • Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

@katerynastepp I think buyers are likely to bank their trust in a seller with some reviews and ratings even though the new seller has a professional profile, gig images and description and competitive pricing of their packages.
There is always trust issues when it comes to where and how to spend your hard earned money and precious time, therefore, buyers are always reluctant to order even the lowest priced package from a new seller.

• Like 79
  • Congrats! 3
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 2

On 5/16/2021 at 12:02 PM, katerynastepp said:

Offen newbies are much more enthusiastic and attentive to details than the 5-year sellers.

Enthusiastic, I might give that to you. Attentive to details, a freelancer likely doesn’t remain in business for 5 years if they weren’t attentive to details… 

• Like 159
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 3

I am new to this site. I also want to add: communicate with the buyer more often, find out how he is doing? Like he? Ask him what his mood is. The kinder your conversation, the easier the creative process will be. Create a good mood for each other, because it’s easy 🙂

• Like 81
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Fiverr Community!

I would like to say, that the best way to spot potentiality in new sellers is to order the first work. Offen newbies are much more enthusiastic and attentive to details than the 5-year sellers. I would recommend ordering the 1 work for the lowest price he or she offers and then draw a conclusion about the quality and speed of the seller’s work.

Believe that it can help you a bit 😉 )

Offen newbies are much more enthusiastic and attentive to details than the 5-year sellers.

Assume much?

As mentioned before, new sellers may be more excited that they got an order - but this does NOT in any way mean that they are more attentive to details than a seller who has been here 5 years.

I have been here for 8.5 years, so I guess I don’t count in your theorem. 🤨

and this:

communicate with the buyer more often, find out how he is doing? Like he? Ask him what his mood is.

Most sellers here are not “counselors” who want to hand hold with their buyers and most buyers do not need or want this. They want their darn project done the way they want it - right the first time. All the “how are your feelings today” will not erase a crappy job. Sure, may make you look like you are empathetic, but that is not what most sellers are hawking here. Who cares what their mood is? For most, you want their mood to be creating an order from you!!!

GG

• Like 71
  • Confused 3
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 8
  • Thanks 2

On 6/8/2021 at 7:35 AM, genuineguidance said:

Большинство продавцов здесь не «консультанты», которые хотят поддерживать отношения со своими покупателями, и большинство покупателей не нуждаются в этом или не хотят этого. Они хотят, чтобы их чертов проект был реализован так, как они этого хотят - с первого раза. Все «как ты сегодня себя чувствуешь» не сотрут дерьмовой работы. Конечно, вы можете выглядеть сочувствующим, но большинство продавцов здесь не об этом. Кого волнует их настроение? Для большинства вы хотите, чтобы их настроение создавало от вас заказ !!!

despite the fact that you have a lot of experience. Absolutely no one can 100% fulfill the whims of any customer. the performer is not clairvoyant and cannot look into the brain. therefore, I believe that communication should be mandatory, at least during the briefing phase. Well, if this communication is diluted with simple friendly phrases, it will not be worse, and the interlocutor is more pleasant. Nobody forces you. it’s just a desire. I don’t understand why you answered so negatively. Keep it simple)))) 

• Like 68
  • Congrats! 3
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/8/2021 at 7:45 AM, strutsenko_art said:

the performer is not clairvoyant

Again, assumptions. I guess you do not know what category I am in.

I answered in your mind negatively, because your “advice” is moot. Asking how your buyer is feeeeeling today is not how business is run. Sure, there is the “hey, how ya doin!” stuff, but, that is all fake and no one ever tells you really how they are - well, unless you are their clairvoyant, astrologer, psychic or counselor.

Most categories here are professional in nature - and this means treating the buyer professionally - not as if they are in your “inner circle” and you are trying to be their friend. They just want the work done right the first time. Period.

On 6/8/2021 at 7:45 AM, strutsenko_art said:

Keep it simple))))

By asking how they feel is not keeping it simple, in fact, this can just make things complicated in a business setting. Again, unless you are a counselor, feelings do not come into play here.

Also, you posted my reply in Russian - I do not speak that language, so do not want others to get the notion I posted in what is probably your native tongue. I only speak English and Pig-Latin. LOL

GG 

• Like 74
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 6

On 6/8/2021 at 1:14 PM, genuineguidance said:

Again, assumptions. I guess you do not know what category I am in.

I answered in your mind negatively, because your “advice” is moot. Asking how your buyer is feeeeeling today is not how business is run. Sure, there is the “hey, how ya doin!” stuff, but, that is all fake and no one ever tells you really how they are - well, unless you are their clairvoyant, astrologer, psychic or counselor.

Most categories here are professional in nature - and this means treating the buyer professionally - not as if they are in your “inner circle” and you are trying to be their friend. They just want the work done right the first time. Period.

I just give a conclusion from my practice. I have always been sociable and polite with all clients. And we ended our cooperation with all the clients with good emotions, with some of them we still communicate.

And the fact that I made a quote in Russian: apparently, one of the quirks of my Internet browser. But I don’t think you were uncomfortable. I didn’t even bother to fix it 🙂 Okay. Both of us were not convinced. I hope you will be fine)))) 

• Like 78
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

Firstly, Try to see their work experience, portfolio and also review from  the other buyers.
If you will post a buyer request there will come lots of newbie who are not Good 
At first check seller gig, Read the gig description and also you can visit their profile.

If it's able to make you impressed by their straight forward describe then contact the seller and discuss details about the project then if you will feel all right
 then put the order. Hope this post help you to get the best seller.

• Like 146
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 13

On 8/12/2021 at 2:25 AM, rakib_sarker said:

Firstly, Try to see their work experience, portfolio and also review from  the other buyers.
If you will post a buyer request there will come lots of newbie who are not Good

How do you know that Newbies are not good? And will you explain me why they are not good?

• Like 96
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 5

You should follow every top-rated seller who was a new seller once a time. New sellers always try to make you 100% satisfied and take a small amount cause they need to grow their account. But if you do not filter new sellers you will get a bad experience with them. You should check his experience level, his behavior, communication, and previous work. If you can find an expert new seller you will get proper support for your project and spend a little buck.

Here are some tips for finding expert new seller-

1. Expert new seller always have good communication skill

2. Seller understand what you need

3. Seller will provide his previous work and showcase his expertise

4. Seller will never focus on budget, he will focus on doing your project

You need to always check new expertise either you will experience a bad situation. But never suppose every new seller is a fraud and not an expert. There are lots of people has successfully local business or client but they are want to start on Fiverr, now he can't jump top-rated seller he will start from a new seller.

• Like 270
  • Up 10
  • Thanks 23

On 8/15/2021 at 6:18 PM, servicestore85 said:

. Seller will never focus on budget, he will focus on doing your project

Ahahahahah no. At least an "expert" won't, doesn't matter if it's new here or not. Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 114
  • Haha 19
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 3

I know, everyone new seller when he joins this platform. Must be given the chance the new seller but if you have a big project then must need good and expert seller because he knows how to handle finish the big project. Budget does not matter for good quality work.

• Like 113
  • Up 2

On 8/15/2021 at 12:18 PM, servicestore85 said:

Expert new seller always have good communication skill

I've been a seller here, on Fiverr, for over seven years. In my long Fiverr forum experience, I can 100% disagree with your comment. The vast majority of new sellers who come to the forum, claim to be "experts", but have nothing to show for it. Most also have deficiencies in communication, which they, themselves, don't realize. Many new sellers here do not speak English as their native language, and that, right there, is the #1 reason why they are not able to connect to buyers.

Seller understand what you need

Not always. Many new sellers just want to get paid, and have not yet developed an understanding of how effective business works.

Seller will provide his previous work and showcase his expertise

Most new sellers don't seem to have any previous work to showcase, and far too many new sellers just take images from the internet, and post them as their own.

Seller will never focus on budget, he will focus on doing your project

I disagree here too. Most new sellers severely undercut their worth just to get an order.

To be completely honest, I always find myself a little offended when new sellers, such as yourself, come to the forums, and post how important it is for buyers to hire new sellers. New sellers do not yet have a reputation on this site, and those who claim they are better than veteran sellers -- for the reasons you have noted -- are just posting because they want more  orders. Most buyers are looking for skill, experience, and social proof. They usually base their buying choices on sellers who have proven their abilities on this site. 

New sellers are not better than veteran sellers, just because they are new. New sellers need to understand how to build a reputation as a great seller on this site, if they want to achieve the same kind of success as the long-selling veterans that have been here for years.

On 8/15/2021 at 12:21 PM, theratypist said:

The problem is all new sellers will likely have "expert" written on their description

Exactly. If a new seller has to make a point of telling buyers that he/she is an expert, the odds are strong that he/she is not. Experts let their skills and reputation speak for themselves.

• Like 118
  • Up 13
  • Thanks 3