How do you turn down jobs you don't want to take?

katiekoschalk

I offer writing services and buyers will often message me asking if I'm available to write an article or series of articles. Sometimes, I don't want to take the job for one reason or another—usually because the buyer seems like they'll be really difficult or the article topics seem complex/difficult or I have a personal conflict with the topic. I have trouble turning these people down because clearly I'm available since my profile is active (and they could have just placed the order without checking in first), so I usually end up begrudgingly saying yes and generally regret it.

My question is: how do you turn these people down in a nice way? It seems like saying "thank you for your interest, however, I don't think I'm the right fit for this job" is so ambiguous, odd, and cold. I'd expect they'd ask why I don't think I'm the right fit for the job and then what would I say? Any tips for turning down jobs you don't want to take? Thank you!

Edited by katiekoschalk
  • Like 15

6 minutes ago, katiekoschalk said:

"thank you for your interest, however, I don't think I'm the right fit for this job"

Oh I still say something in the lines of this anyhow. But I do share a link of alternative sellers that they can possibly reach out to (link as in the result of a search query -- ex: "logo designers" search results not an exact person's profile) 

• Like 10
  • Up 2

I don't know how to reject a gig or if it would affect your rating, but I think you can prevent (or at least reduce) unwanted buyers up front by putting at the top of your gig description something like "Please contact me to discuss details and availability before purchasing this gig". That's what I have in my gig and everyone messages me before buying... 🙂

• Like 12
  • Up 1

I haven't had anyone that I've turned down yet - but I would be truthful and briefly explain why you aren't a good fit. You are under no obligation to them and they can't impact you with negative comments or ratings if they don't buy...

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, katiekoschalk said:

or the topic of the articles seem complex/difficult

If it's because of that you could just say you're not an expert on that subject (or something similar) and suggest that they could search for sellers who know more about that subject or they could create a buyer request for it. Or you could say you do more general articles on the overall subject of x but not [whatever the more complex part is] and suggest other sellers for that/posting a buyer request if they still need the complex bit.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 11

• 1 year later...