Just a rant, from a buyer.

wesleypsyd

I have been a buyer on fiverr since 2016. I have mostly pleasant experience so far... till yesterday, that is.

What happened

A seller who had ample of time with a 5/6 day delivery, has read the requirements and started the order.

At her own admission, she started only reviewing the order on the last day, which was fine. Except that the writing was horrible, I still don't understand why a native english user will use the term "new-age" to describe something business formal.

There was also another term that she chose, that's questionable but not "off". However, because I needed something formal and thought that her work was just bad and I can't trust her for a revision. Essentially, the work is just not usable.

I decided to accept the delivery anyway and told her that her choice of words was bad and that her work is not usable.

To my surprise, she blocked me, almost instantly. I saw that block and decided to give my first negative review on Fiverr and I guess she saw it coming too.

She describe me as a "fine person" and said I didn't give any details (I had provided over 200 words for the 350 word piece, in the requirements when I made the order).

She had also ignored information I had provided her with, in the order chat conversation.

The article flow was out of place with the context not complimenting what comes next and she didn't do a proper rephrasing of an opinion to fit the narrative.

Screenshot_2021-08-11-03-43-26-74.thumb.jpg.cf295f5e5be326ba8c2aafd403f62cbf.jpg

Perhaps I felt ridiculous to get reviewed in such manner, by a seller who evidently has some issues.

If her previous reviews were to be believed, she probably worked on my article on a bad day.

Buyers and sellers are people, I hope readers understand that and really just offer a service when one can do properly. If you disagree with the other party, it might be easier to just apologise and seek understanding.

I have had bad experience on Fiverr before and has never given bad reviews. If the work was done bad, I would had request to cancel but if the work was done and I didn't like it, I will accept it and choose to not review.

Buyers should always give as much information as they can and sellers should always understand the work involved, before clicking "start order".

And also a sincere recommendation, if you have days before delivery, don't leave the work till the very last day to tell the buyer that "not enough information is given".

1 hour ago, wesleypsyd said:

To my surprise, she blocked me, almost instantly. I saw that block and decided to give my first negative review on Fiverr and I guess she saw it coming too

First of all - leaving a bad review is brave and if you truly think the work was bad, I think they are worth leaving. 

However, it does seem to me that there was some sort of a... Misunderstanding/ miscommunication (either from the seller or both sides... It's often hard to pinpoint what went wrong! I'm terrible at writing anything formal (then again, I don't do nonfiction) so I wouldn't be able to judge the seller's work but I'd always get a revision (being honest at the WHY I need it) or two before saying something is unusable - maybe the seller was having an off day and missed the tone you were aiming for. Not ideal but we never know what's going on with the person on the other side. 

For short orders I do often finish them close to the deadline as well but I do prefer communication through the order (however this depends on the buyer/seller. Many people are annoyed by how I'm always popping up at random times!) My point is, maybe the seller had other orders to finish/got to yours a tad late (5/6 days can fly by fast when you still have a day job!) and well...This happened. 

1 hour ago, wesleypsyd said:

If you disagree with the other party, it might be easier to just apologise and seek understanding.

This for me depends - while I agree that it's best to look for a solution (instead of blocking someone.. maybe they thought you wouldn't be able to leave a review like that?) Apologising depends I think. For me... As a fiction writer when I write something that I totally love and the client might not enjoy that might, I always feel pretty sour (although I thrive to be overly polite) but some people might feel insulted. The choice of words from both sides can be important, too! 

Sorry about the bad experience you've had though! I guess it happens. I've had a couple odd experiences myself so I can understand!

Sorry to hear about your experience. Personally, I would have gone for a revision or would have just contacted customer support, expressed my grievances and maybe even asked for a refund if I was really dissatisfied with their services rather than accepting the delivery. It's your time and money end of the day..

I think that it is a right of every buyer to review and provide feedback to the seller's.

If there is something you don't like about the seller then you may mention it in the feedback page. Nothing wrong with that as long as it is true.

Hope you have more positive experiences on Fiverr in the future.

The reason I didn't proceed with revision of any kind is because it was not decent enough, to request for a revision of any kind. 

A formal business was equated to a religious movement in the piece, that's too far from any logical sense. 

The work was bad enough that customer service cancelled it. 

There's that. 🙂

On 8/10/2021 at 11:04 PM, wesleypsyd said:

There was also another term that she chose, that's questionable but not "off". However, because I needed something formal and thought that her work was just bad and I can't trust her for a revision. Essentially, the work is just not usable.

I guess the question is whether you made it clear to her how formal you wanted it to be, I'll assume you did, according to you saying you provided her with ample information, and probably Fiverr saw it that way too, seeing your last post. And yes, Fiverr definitely encourages sellers to review order requirements as soon as possible, and it's kind of obvious that it's a good idea to not do that a day before the deadline, in case you need additional info or clarification from a buyer.

Just something to maybe keep in mind for your next order - out of interest, I took a look at the seller's profile, and it starts with "Hey, you.", so maybe consider things like that as well, when choosing a seller for formal content next time 🙂

To my surprise, she blocked me, almost instantly.

It's not much of a surprise. There are buyers who complain about the work, and then quickly order again from the same seller, so perhaps she just tried to ensure that it didn't happen.

should always understand the work involved, before clicking "start order".

In most cases, it's buyers who click on "start order" on the order page; the sellers can only click on "I have all the information I need" if the buyer didn't start the order yet, but they will typically wait for the buyer to start the order unless all the details were discussed in the inbox already.

Archived