Do you have a marketing guy that you consider a guru?

manuelmarino

I prefer to hire people with human skills rather than just marketing skills. I can't recommend anyone specific, but if I'm hiring or looking to learn from someone to better my marketing skills, I will look for individuals with excellent interpersonal skills.

Honestly, there are so many "experts" and "gurus" out there.

Most of them follow a simple funnel template that they bought from some other "expert" or "guru", who probably developed their "method" based on a blog post that they managed to squeeze 20 videos and 200 eBooks out of, to make a "magic funnel for instant riches and explosive growth that will shock your clients into eternity". 

You'll also get what I like to call "millenial" marketing "experts", who prefer to call themselves "communication engineers" or "digital crafters", etc. 

That's the guy who will take your idea (in this example: "selling cakes") and make it into "We design and interpret the creation of matter into sweetness using evolutionary thought processes and high-end ingredients from eco-engineered biopharma."

Then you have the people person who just wants to help you to tell your story. They know how to get your personality out, thereby understanding the people you're trying to reach. No fuzz. Just people who understand other people. 

Some names that pop up in my feed are Neil Patel, Tim Ferriss and Liz Strauss. 

I don't like "gurus", but there are people out there that say things I have been able to apply to my business with good results. I follow The Futur on YouTube, for example, and I think the guy is dead right on pricing strategy, negotiation tactics, etc. Ofc not all he says is applicable to me (he focuses a lot on marketing and social media, as well as graphic design, which aren't really something I'm invested in), but that's alright. Just get whatever is useful for you from whatever sources you can get, and ignore the rest.

Btw, I really disagree with that last bit about freelancers being the product. I understand the trend of personal branding and social media, I just truly dislike it. I want to be, as a person, as dissociated from my work as I can. One thing is the my brand, my service, the other is me. 

On 8/7/2021 at 4:40 PM, smashradio said:

That's the guy who will take your idea (in this example: "selling cakes") and make it into "We design and interpret the creation of matter into sweetness using evolutionary thought processes and high-end ingredients from eco-engineered biopharma."

In Brooklyn, we just call that bullshit. 

13 hours ago, michaelzeito672 said:

https://www.fiverr.com/share/d5Kwrg 

I am an experienced marketer, let's talk. I have years of experience, including my marketing work 2 years in college and 2 years out of college

I have to ask, if you are an experienced marketer, why are you spamming the forum by promoting your gig in the wrong category (violation), and also, why have you made no sales for yourself if you are an experienced marketer? 

Archived