What hardware do you use?

manuelmarino

I use Focusrite Clarett8Pre, it's beautiful. And Pro Tools software, because I have been using it for 20 years or so - I've invested too much money into it to back out now 😛

I like nice microphones and preamps and then use plugins for effects, because I figured if I'm going to spend the good money I have to cut corners somewhere, and having a fantastic starting point with a good input path just makes everything else so much easier than trying to fix things before you can work with them.

• Like 30
  • Up 1

Still rocking it with my old Rme FireFace 800.

Everything good except couple of the condensers dried up and had to change those which was to put it mildly, exiting 😄
And  on top of that you need  kazillion adapters to make it work with the newer 
MacBooks 😄

seriously though I should upgrade to Apollo x8 or something like that quite soon. 

• Like 22

Neumann (TLM 103 & U87Ai) and Sennheiser (MKH416) for microphones.

Avalon (737SP & M5) for preamps. 

Universal Audio (Arrow & Apollo Twin) for interfaces. Switching to RME soon though, really unsatisfied with the path UA has taken regarding customer support and updating to new tech.

Rocking a 2012 Mac Mini, switching to M1 (M1X if possible?) soon. Also a 16" 2019 Macbook Pro. 

Edited by torrelles
  • Like 23
  • Up 1

On 8/14/2021 at 7:06 AM, teramangala said:

Hi, I mainly use hardware samplers : AKAI force as a hardware DAW, and ROLAND SPD-SX to enter note with drum stick as I mainly play drums and no keyboards. 

For recording audio, I am a huge fan of SM58 microphone.

I dont understand your language but I understand your video . Keep it up . Bravo. 💚

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

On 8/18/2021 at 6:39 PM, newsmike said:

What are you finding about UA that bothers you?

Couple of issues mainly:

• They've had very shady communication regarding AMD processor compatibility. They state their products are "Windows compatible" on every front page, but you have to dig deep to find that Ryzen is not oficially supported.
  • Their WDM driver has had issues with input signal for aaaages, to the point where it's unusable. 4 or 5 years if I recall correctly. There are numerous threads on their forums discussing it, with dead silence from UA. It has never been acnowledged afaik nor a fix is in the works. 

I'm also bothered by the extremely slow M1 compatibility work in comparison with the competition. They still run through Rosetta at this point in time. 

Edited by torrelles
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/7/2021 at 3:29 PM, manuelmarino said:

I use Steinberg hardware, and of course Cubase and Wavelab are fantastic with it. What hardware do you use? Which software and why you coupled it?

hardware.thumb.jpg.240919515f2e83901bc9f317c33a0666.jpg

Steinberg too (Ur22) linked to Alesis 3630 linked to ins of Ur22 and Edifier monitors for now, working nice, getting some results, great ones using Studio One 4.6 Pro Pipeline with the gear. The D-Pre preamp is veeeeeery good, I will perhaps buy the Ur44 or another interface, possibily Ur-Rt4 is about my radar too.

• Like 18

I have an Electro Voice RE-27 w/ Cloudlifter, Ableton Push 2, Roland TR-8S, Kali Audio LP-8 monitors, and a Waldorf Iridium. It's all connected through a cheap Beringer interface that I'll eventually replace (it does the job) and an M1 Mac Mini.

I absolutely love the M1. It's serving me just as well, if not better, then the 2015 MacBook Pro it replaced. 

The RME interface I want is back ordered for months.

• Like 17

13 hours ago, bigbeardvo said:

I absolutely love the M1. It's serving me just as well, if not better, then the 2015 MacBook Pro it replaced. 

Same for me. Thank goodness the developers have worked out the software compatibility issues with the M1! Now when I use it in warm conditions, I don’t have to worry about the turbo fan noise kicking on like my MacBook Pro!

• Like 17

2 hours ago, melissaharlowvo said:

Same for me. Thank goodness the developers have worked out the software compatibility issues with the M1! Now when I use it in warm conditions, I don’t have to worry about the turbo fan noise kicking on like my MacBook Pro!

Exactly! Software compatibility was a little rough at first, but virtually everything I need is natively supported or runs great through Rosetta. I don't miss the fan noise. 

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!) 
I use : Mac mini m1, d max super cubes ( u need yo this fantastic monitors!!), uad appolotwin x and sometimes akai mpc 4000 to do some old boom bap or techno.
Please check up d max super cubes monitors - they are so delightful with dsp inside them. i worked on many monitors before such as : HS7 Yamaxa, adam A7X, Genelec 8030, krk rokit of course ( xdd) and i tell you - compared to my monitors they all give a poor sound) 
and m1 its some fantastic thing - i can working in PT and PS together and m1 flying like boing 747)

• Like 15

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got myself a neuman 103 about 7 months ago and I'll look back - it's amazing. Then I've go the Audient iD14 MKII as my interface. I'm trying to explore some new plugins to help me get faster at production now. Any ideas from anyone here?

• Like 11

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...