Seller to seller collaboration

myton_music

Question

Hi there,

I have two gigs where I compose and produce podcast intro's. In the gigs I mention that it's only about the music so I don't do voice overs myself.
Today, another seller who sells voice overs on Fiverr, contacted me and asked me if I would like to collaborate with him. I could then add a gig extra for the voice over and then order the voice over from him.

I'm not sure if this is allowed on Fiverr...
In the last 1,5 year, I build up a small but solid 'brand' here on Fiverr and I'm not looking for any red flags, if you know what I mean 😉

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Greetings,
Ruud.

9 answers to this question

I would have a recommendation! I actually collaborate with a formatter and editor since I am a book cover designer, so I recommend you do something like we do so you don't sell something that you don't do yourself. What if it is a relationship where you send people to them who need a voice over, and in turn they send over people who do what you do? With my collab, we both just send people to the other person if that is the service they need. It creates a relationship where you both gain from each other but don't have to act like a middleman or potentially have them bail on a job you need done.

1 hour ago, myton_music said:

I'm not sure if this is allowed on Fiverr...

It's not forbidden, but what happens if your client doesn't like the voice over? You'd then have to search for another voice over artist, and possibly pay them out of your own pocket.

I agree with catwriter.
I'm adding my thought on the matter: you know your value but you don't know how the other seller would perform. Even if they are the most skilled artist on the platform your buyer could not like the output and give you headaches.

5 hours ago, myton_music said:

Today, another seller who sells voice overs on Fiverr, contacted me and asked me if I would like to collaborate with him. I could then add a gig extra for the voice over and then order the voice over from him.

As someone who does VO, I would consider that an "outsourcing spam" request and would report the seller.

I've worked for a number of other sellers, but they came to me first, and never from me hassling them for possible work. I would consider the request unprofessional and a red flag to not do business with the person.

As others have mentioned, there's nothing that speaks against it, even though it might give you a headache, because, yes, what if the customer doesn't like the voice, what if you get a chargeback at a later point, you'd have to eat the whole loss. So, it might be easier to just stick to your Gigs without VO, maybe, if you think the seller is good and trustable, you could offer to recommend them to customers of yours who ask for a recommendation, and they could recommend you in the reverse case. I'd even be careful with recommendations, I've not had much luck with it once, the return customer wasn't happy with what they got from the seller I recommended, and haven't ordered from me ever since either, so I probably lost that customer due to me wanting to help them with a recommendation. Just something to consider.

If you actually want to integrate VO to your Gig, I mean, generally, it might be a good thing and perhaps can gain you more revenue, you could look into the Studio option if available to you (still in Beta, I think), and do a Studio with as many VO sellers as allowed, to have a choice for your buyer between male/female/different sounding voices, or if Studio isn't an option for you, you'd need a small "pool" from VO sellers in any case, I'd think, just one probably won't cover your clients' different needs? In that case, you might want to check out the seller who contacted you, and also look for a few you think you'd feel good either working with, or recommending.

Regarding the route of buying VO Gigs and reselling the VO as part of your Gig, also keep in mind that it might be a bit awkward for you as a seller yourself to deal with all the possible things like maybe a VO not delivering timely while your customer's order is time-sensitive, or to having to rate them, or them asking you to review them when you didn't, etc. 

Thank you all for your posts!

I already thought of this and some of you mentioned it: I don't want to be or become the 'middleman'...
I've worked very hard for the past 1,5 year to build up a small but decent 'brand' here on Fiverr. I can always refer clients to him but don't want to get in between and maybe have to deal with bad reviews, cancelled order or refunds...

Thanks again for all your useful input!

Greetings,
Ruud / Myton Music

Archived