Tell us about your weirdest voice-over projects

smashradio

I've had some fun and bizarre projects over the years, like that time I had to be a Viking, sitting in an ice-bath, eating fish, for a polish TV commercial. I didn't feel that I got the "freezing Viking" part just right, so I ended up taking a long and horrible cold shower just to get in the mood. That commercial gave me a damn cold, and it's the only time I've ever been cold in the booth! But it was great fun. 

The probably weirdest project I have ever done was the client who needed 5 minutes of "authentic hiccups". Luckily, he didn't have a deadline, so I could take my time. Every time I got the hiccups, I ran to the booth and dropped everything else to record the valuable hiccups.

After two weeks and a lot of spicy food to get it going, I had finally recorded the hiccups, only to find out that the client had sent me the wrong instructions: he wanted burps, not hiccups! That was easy: a gallon of Pepsi later, and he got his burps, and I got 500 bucks + a tip.

Yes, I quoted a ridiculous price when I saw the project requirements, hoping I wouldn't get it, but the client felt bad for not paying more because of all my struggles. 
I still work with the client regularly, thankfully on other, less... bodily.. projects. 

47 minutes ago, newsmike said:

You do have a burp gig now don't you?

I have plans for a whole burp empire! I'm starting with offers to translate burps into different languages. Then I'll work my way up to "I will sing your song but with burping". 

1 minute ago, smashradio said:

I have plans for a whole burp empire! I'm starting with offers to translate burps into different languages. Then I'll work my way up to "I will sing your song but with burping". 

Man you get all the glamour gigs. I just get the usual standard stuff. I have been trying to figure out how to do a VO with backup singers. 

8 minutes ago, newsmike said:

Man you get all the glamour gigs. I just get the usual standard stuff. I have been trying to figure out how to do a VO with backup singers. 

I'd love to hear something like that! Perhaps a choir in the back who repeats every line, as an artistic representation of the feeling we get when a team of producers and their grandmas have opinions on the pronounciation of their third cousins brand name. 

In the meantime, we of course have this to enjoy: 

7 minutes ago, smashradio said:

I'd love to hear something like that! Perhaps a choir in the back who repeats every line, as an artistic representation of the feeling we get when a team of producers and their grandmas have opinions on the pronounciation of their third cousins brand name. 

In the meantime, we of course have this to enjoy: 

The lion video is great. Another favorite video showing that the people on the other side of the glass are often wrong is the Shatner session.

1 hour ago, smashradio said:

I had to edit a video like that and had to auto-tune the burps so it sounded more like happy birthday.

Archived