Jump to content

6 Myths About Fiverr: Debunked


Recommended Posts

The gig economy is still snowballing. New buyers and sellers are flocking to platforms like Fiverr for many different reasons, yet there are still many myths about the site going strong. In this post, I’ll go through some of the more common myths you’re likely to hear about Fiverr and why they aren’t true – at least not always.


Let’s dive in:


Myth #1: You can only get low-quality services on Fiverr


Not true! Some of the talent on Fiverr is working with the biggest brand names in the world. You have sellers with names like Google and Microsoft under their belt. You also have sellers with absolutely no experience or merits – and everyone in between.

Separating the wheat from the chaff is up to you, but there’s no truth to this myth. You get what you pay for, and you won’t hire that famous designer at five bucks. That moves us on to the next myth:


Myth #2: Everything on Fiverr is cheap


Again, this is not true. Yes, there are some excellent deals to be had on Fiverr, but you can also find yourself spending thousands on a single freelancer, depending on your project. If you require a professional *insert title here* for a high-end *insert product or service here* you’re likely to spend a lot more than five bucks! As with everything else in this world, you get what you pay for.


Myth #3: You can’t make a living on Fiverr alone


Not true. I know people with six-figure incomes from Fiverr. That doesn’t mean you should, because diversifying your income streams is very important! You don’t want to leave all your eggs in one basket. With that said, you can surely make a living from Fiverr alone, and many people do. If you have the right talent, the right gig, and offer great value to your buyers over time, you can most certainly grow a career. 


Myth #4: Nobody will take you seriously on Fiverr


Some elitists will claim that you can’t and won’t get the good projects if your name is on Fiverr. Yet, I’ve been working with top-dollar agents, large multinationals, national governments, celebrities, and yes – the local plumber who just wanted an affordable voice over for his explainer video. If someone doesn’t take me or what I do seriously, I probably don’t want to work with them, anyway. 


Myth #5: It’s easy to succeed on Fiverr


No, it’s not. It takes hard work, effort, time, expertise, more hard work, and a considerable sprinkle of talent. You can’t just set up a gig, leave it there, and wait for the money to roll in. Well, you can, but it won’t, and you’ll be asking the forums why you’re not rich yet in no time!


Ok, seriously: you need to spend time and effort to build your success on Fiverr, just like in the “real” world! It’s not a shortcut to become rich. If you made your profile thinking it was, you’re wasting your time. Put your back into it, and you will (hopefully) see results. Lazy people will be just as unsuccessful on Fiverr as they will be anywhere else.


Myth #6: People will treat you poorly and without the respect you deserve


Unfortunately, there is some truth to this myth, but only if you let it become so, and not more so than in other places you meet possible clients. Just like in the real world, there are plenty of people out there who take advantage of others.

You need to avoid those people to stay happy. If you let disrespectful people take advantage of you, it’s a slippery slope. Many complaints on this come from people who don’t know how to set boundaries and demand the respect they deserve.

In 95% of cases, your buyer/seller will be polite and behave appropriately. The remaining 5% are the ones you need to watch out for.

You could check out my post on red flags to see how I avoid issues like this and my how to deal with bad buyers post to see how I deal with them when the issue arises.


What myths have you heard about Fiverr?

Edited by smashradio
Typo
  • Like 8
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • smashradio changed the title to 6 Myths About Fiverr: Debunked
14 hours ago, smashradio said:

The gig economy is still snowballing. New buyers and sellers are flocking to platforms like Fiverr for many different reasons, yet there are still many myths about the site going strong. In this post, I’ll go through some of the more common myths you’re likely to hear about Fiverr and why they aren’t true – at least not always.


Let’s dive in:


Myth #1: You can only get low-quality services on Fiverr


Not true! Some of the talent on Fiverr is working with the biggest brand names in the world. You have sellers with names like Google and Microsoft under their belt. You also have sellers with absolutely no experience or merits – and everyone in between.

Separating the wheat from the chaff is up to you, but there’s no truth to this myth. You get what you pay for, and you won’t hire that famous designer at five bucks. That moves us on to the next myth:


Myth #2: Everything on Fiverr is cheap


Again, this is not true. Yes, there are some excellent deals to be had on Fiverr, but you can also find yourself spending thousands on a single freelancer, depending on your project. If you require a professional *insert title here* for a high-end *insert product or service here* you’re likely to spend a lot more than five bucks! As with everything else in this world, you get what you pay for.


Myth #3: You can’t make a living on Fiverr alone


Not true. I know people with six-figure incomes from Fiverr. That doesn’t mean you should, because diversifying your income streams is very important! You don’t want to leave all your eggs in one basket. With that said, you can surely make a living from Fiverr alone, and many people do. If you have the right talent, the right gig, and offer great value to your buyers over time, you can most certainly grow a career. 


Myth #4: Nobody will take you seriously on Fiverr


Some elitists will claim that you can’t and won’t get the good projects if your name is on Fiverr. Yet, I’ve been working with top-dollar agents, large multinationals, national governments, celebrities, and yes – the local plumber who just wanted an affordable voice over for his explainer video. If someone doesn’t take me or what I do seriously, I probably don’t want to work with them, anyway. 


Myth #5: It’s easy to succeed on Fiverr


No, it’s not. It takes hard work, effort, time, expertise, more hard work, and a considerable sprinkle of talent. You can’t just set up a gig, leave it there, and wait for the money to roll in. Well, you can, but it won’t, and you’ll be asking the forums why you’re not rich yet in no time!


Ok, seriously: you need to spend time and effort to build your success on Fiverr, just like in the “real” world! It’s not a shortcut to become rich. If you made your profile thinking it was, you’re wasting your time. Put your back into it, and you will (hopefully) see results. Lazy people will be just as unsuccessful on Fiverr as they will be anywhere else.


Myth #6: People will treat you poorly and without the respect you deserve


Unfortunately, there is some truth to this myth, but only if you let it become so, and not more so than in other places you meet possible clients. Just like in the real world, there are plenty of people out there who take advantage of others.

You need to avoid those people to stay happy. If you let disrespectful people take advantage of you, it’s a slippery slope. Many complaints on this come from people who don’t know how to set boundaries and demand the respect they deserve.

In 95% of cases, your buyer/seller will be polite and behave appropriately. The remaining 5% are the ones you need to watch out for.

You could check out my post on red flags to see how I avoid issues like this and my how to deal with bad buyers post to see how I deal with them when the issue arises.


What myths have you heard about Fiverr?

Thank you for share 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, smashradio said:

What myths have you heard about Fiverr?

Staying online 24/7 helps you get more orders. This is probably the most prominent harmful and idiotic tip that inexperienced sellers are telling other new sellers. Other than that, great post! I think many new sellers will find it useful and hopefully actually read it before posting "great, thank".

  • Like 6
  • Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, gajuseidi said:

Staying online 24/7 helps you get more orders. This is probably the most prominent harmful and idiotic tip that inexperienced sellers are telling other new sellers. Other than that, great post! I think many new sellers will find it useful and hopefully actually read it before posting "great, thank".

That's more of a seller myth/tip that's bad, but for sure one of the most nonsensical I know of. This was more of a "perception of Fiverr" type of post, since it's been bothering me for some time that people believe such things, and are propagating untrue perceptions of the community without having tried it themselves. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/2/2021 at 1:10 AM, smashradio said:

The gig economy is still snowballing. New buyers and sellers are flocking to platforms like Fiverr for many different reasons, yet there are still many myths about the site going strong. In this post, I’ll go through some of the more common myths you’re likely to hear about Fiverr and why they aren’t true – at least not always.


Let’s dive in:


Myth #1: You can only get low-quality services on Fiverr


Not true! Some of the talent on Fiverr is working with the biggest brand names in the world. You have sellers with names like Google and Microsoft under their belt. You also have sellers with absolutely no experience or merits – and everyone in between.

Separating the wheat from the chaff is up to you, but there’s no truth to this myth. You get what you pay for, and you won’t hire that famous designer at five bucks. That moves us on to the next myth:


Myth #2: Everything on Fiverr is cheap


Again, this is not true. Yes, there are some excellent deals to be had on Fiverr, but you can also find yourself spending thousands on a single freelancer, depending on your project. If you require a professional *insert title here* for a high-end *insert product or service here* you’re likely to spend a lot more than five bucks! As with everything else in this world, you get what you pay for.


Myth #3: You can’t make a living on Fiverr alone


Not true. I know people with six-figure incomes from Fiverr. That doesn’t mean you should, because diversifying your income streams is very important! You don’t want to leave all your eggs in one basket. With that said, you can surely make a living from Fiverr alone, and many people do. If you have the right talent, the right gig, and offer great value to your buyers over time, you can most certainly grow a career. 


Myth #4: Nobody will take you seriously on Fiverr


Some elitists will claim that you can’t and won’t get the good projects if your name is on Fiverr. Yet, I’ve been working with top-dollar agents, large multinationals, national governments, celebrities, and yes – the local plumber who just wanted an affordable voice over for his explainer video. If someone doesn’t take me or what I do seriously, I probably don’t want to work with them, anyway. 


Myth #5: It’s easy to succeed on Fiverr


No, it’s not. It takes hard work, effort, time, expertise, more hard work, and a considerable sprinkle of talent. You can’t just set up a gig, leave it there, and wait for the money to roll in. Well, you can, but it won’t, and you’ll be asking the forums why you’re not rich yet in no time!


Ok, seriously: you need to spend time and effort to build your success on Fiverr, just like in the “real” world! It’s not a shortcut to become rich. If you made your profile thinking it was, you’re wasting your time. Put your back into it, and you will (hopefully) see results. Lazy people will be just as unsuccessful on Fiverr as they will be anywhere else.


Myth #6: People will treat you poorly and without the respect you deserve


Unfortunately, there is some truth to this myth, but only if you let it become so, and not more so than in other places you meet possible clients. Just like in the real world, there are plenty of people out there who take advantage of others.

You need to avoid those people to stay happy. If you let disrespectful people take advantage of you, it’s a slippery slope. Many complaints on this come from people who don’t know how to set boundaries and demand the respect they deserve.

In 95% of cases, your buyer/seller will be polite and behave appropriately. The remaining 5% are the ones you need to watch out for.

You could check out my post on red flags to see how I avoid issues like this and my how to deal with bad buyers post to see how I deal with them when the issue arises.


What myths have you heard about Fiverr?

thanks

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...