Translating websites without knowing coding/programming?

vivienkaaz

Hello there, 

I just started a new gig for translating, and I have seen translators on here offering to translate websites, apps, and software. I also read online that you don't necessarily have to know coding to translate websites, but how do you go about that exactly? Can you do it with Google Sheets? Maybe by copying every word of the website into the spreadsheet and translate it? And would translating apps or software work the same way? 

Thanks in advance for your answers and patience!

2 hours ago, vivienkaaz said:

I also read online that you don't necessarily have to know coding to translate websites, but how do you go about that exactly?

I'm offering website and apps translations and can recognize a code or a programming language - it comes handy while working but that's it.

3 hours ago, vivienkaaz said:

but how do you go about that exactly?

Clients submitted their apps/website through Excel so far and html text too. I just touch what's marked as needing a translation into the cells/columns.

3 hours ago, vivienkaaz said:

Can you do it with Google Sheets? Maybe by copying every word of the website into the spreadsheet and translate it?

Well, I believe it's pretty much the same operating principle of Excel. Didn't use it so far, so I can't tell you more about it, sorry.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/30/2021 at 3:28 PM, alphagev said:

I'm offering website and apps translations and can recognize a code or a programming language - it comes handy while working but that's it.

Clients submitted their apps/website through Excel so far and html text too. I just touch what's marked as needing a translation into the cells/columns.

Well, I believe it's pretty much the same operating principle of Excel. Didn't use it so far, so I can't tell you more about it, sorry.

Thanks for your helpful answer! 🙂

In general, customers provide everything in DOCX or XLSX (similar to Google Sheets). It's their task to implement everything. 

Sometimes they may send you PO, XLIFF, XML, STRINGS and other files, which can be edited with a wide range of free editors. 

I also recommend checking modern CAT systems (if you are not using one so far). By doing so, you can rely on translation memory and work with different formats in a convenient manner. 

Archived