A tip for new sellers: Celebrate the bigger numbers.

jonbaas

I recently saw a new seller write this on the forums:

"[I have the] pleasure to inform all of you that I have completed [my] 1st order with 5 stars and and excellent review."

Well, congratulations. That's great!

However... 

Telling the rest of us, here on the forums, whenever you get your first order, is not going to make you a better seller, nor will it bring you more orders. We are not your customers. We are not the people who will hire you. We can't do anything to make you have "more orders with 5-star reviews". That is something only YOU can do, and it will not happen if you just sit around and wait. Fiverr was built for doers. Fiverr's tagline is, "In Doers We Trust"..... take action, be a doer, not a "celebrate and wait around-er".

We're happy that you're here on the forums. We're happy that you earned an order. BUT, you don't need to announce each order to the rest of us. Dozens of sellers are doing that. Imagine how annoying it would be, if all of us veteran sellers -- who have earned hundreds and thousands of orders -- eagerly announced our 1,232nd order.... our 1,233rd order.... our 1,234th order... our 1,235th order.... our 1,237th order..... our 1,238th order..... and so on.

Yikes! That would be forum overload, and other users would run away from here as fast as they could!

We certainly don't want that.

So, how about a compromise. How about you try something a little different.

Why not try setting some longer-term goals -- why not try setting a higher order milestone -- and then share your excitement with all of us, when you reach 100 orders, 500 orders, or even 1,000 orders. Success takes time, and it usually results from hard work, strategic marketing, and an ambitious mindset. 

So, here's a powerful seller tip....

Step back, set some goals for your freelance career, and then train yourself to look further down the road. Be ambitious. Be driven. Be more excited about earning your 100th order, than you are about announcing your first one. Think bigger. Work harder. Be a Doer. Success does not come to those who wait. And it certainly doesn't come to those who celebrate one order, and then do nothing productive to earn order #2.

Be hungry. Give us all something BIG to celebrate. Look beyond your first order.

Successful sellers set ambitious goals, and then work hard to reach them. If you want to be successful, celebrate the bigger numbers.

10 hours ago, jonbaas said:

I recently saw a new seller write this on the forums:

"[I have the] pleasure to inform all of you that I have completed [my] 1st order with 5 stars and and excellent review."

Well, congratulations. That's great!

However... 

Telling the rest of us, here on the forums, whenever you get your first order, is not going to make you a better seller, nor will it bring you more orders. We are not your customers. We are not the people who will hire you. We can't do anything to make you have "more orders with 5-star reviews". That is something only YOU can do, and it will not happen if you just sit around and wait. Fiverr was built for doers. Fiverr's tagline is, "In Doers We Trust"..... take action, be a doer, not a "celebrate and wait around-er".

We're happy that you're here on the forums. We're happy that you earned an order. BUT, you don't need to announce each order to the rest of us. Dozens of sellers are doing that. Imagine how annoying it would be, if all of us veteran sellers -- who have earned hundreds and thousands of orders -- eagerly announced our 1,232nd order.... our 1,233rd order.... our 1,234th order... our 1,235th order.... our 1,237th order..... our 1,238th order..... and so on.

Yikes! That would be forum overload, and other users would run away from here as fast as they could!

We certainly don't want that.

So, how about a compromise. How about you try something a little different.

Why not try setting some longer-term goals -- why not try setting a higher order milestone -- and then share your excitement with all of us, when you reach 100 orders, 500 orders, or even 1,000 orders. Success takes time, and it usually results from hard work, strategic marketing, and an ambitious mindset. 

So, here's a powerful seller tip....

Step back, set some goals for your freelance career, and then train yourself to look further down the road. Be ambitious. Be driven. Be more excited about earning your 100th order, than you are about announcing your first one. Think bigger. Work harder. Be a Doer. Success does not come to those who wait. And it certainly doesn't come to those who celebrate one order, and then do nothing productive to earn order #2.

Be hungry. Give us all something BIG to celebrate. Look beyond your first order.

Successful sellers set ambitious goals, and then work hard to reach them. If you want to be successful, celebrate the bigger numbers.

There's a small humble request for Jonbass, if possible please write regularly to the forum and share your vast experience with us. 

2 hours ago, techtrendz0007 said:

There's a small humble request for Jonbass, if possible please write regularly to the forum and share your vast experience with us. 

He does post regularly and abundantly. How much more do you need him to post?

12 hours ago, jonbaas said:

Imagine how annoying it would be, if all of us veteran sellers -- who have earned hundreds and thousands of orders -- eagerly announced our 1,232nd order.... our 1,233rd order.... our 1,234th order... our 1,235th order.... our 1,237th order..... our 1,238th order..... and so on.

Cheer Applause GIF by Peanuts

I absolutely agree that it's forum overload to post separate topics for 14th order, or 825th review, or 3rd tip. I agree with two previous comments, though, that the very first sale is fine to post too.

We might not all do it, depending on personality and attitude, but to me, the "Got my 1st order with 5* review" posts are cute, people are genuinely happy about that, I think, maybe thought they'll never get even one order, maybe it's the first time they ever earned their own money, even, and want to share their joy, and we have to live with the people using the forum being different in some things and using the forum in different ways ... yeah, but, right ... the next celebratory post should (not should in that sense, though, it's totally fine to not post another number of orders celebratory post, too ;)) be 100, 500, or 1000 then, though. "Completed my 437th order", while cool and all, really doesn't seem like anything to write home about 😉 

ETA, as I just saw it: Small tip for people who will, despite Jon's great advice to stick to more traditionally celebratory numbers, post all of their orders - if there's a 1 in the end of your number, it's "st", not "th"; it's not your, for example, 21th order, but your 21st order. 

So, another great reason to stick to numbers with a zero in the end, like 100, or 1000, no need to remember that, you can just slap the "th" on those! 🙃

Can't edit my above post any longer to add this there, but it needs to be added.

I'm floored. I just opened a thread "Order cancellation percentage", thinking someone doesn't know how that works and wants advice, or something, but it was a celebratory thread for their order cancellation percentage being back at 100%.

😶

12 hours ago, techtrendz0007 said:

10 hours ago, maitasun said:

He does post regularly and abundantly. How much more do you need him to post?

I can, but Maitasun is also correct.... my advice already exists all over the forum. If you read through the forum, I bet you'll find some. Consider it a fun little hunt of sorts. 😉

I do agree with @miiila on the very first order. I do not remember my 100,1000 or 2000 orders but I do remember how happy I was to receive first order. So I’m ok with “I got the first order” posts. But I do agree that the rest of the topics on I got 3rd, 5th or 11th order are unnecessary. 

at least we don’t see a guy anymore that we used to see on the old forum that would create a new topic for every order he got 🤦‍♀️

Archived