Is WhatsApp required to communicate with potential customers?

TL;DR in bold

Hello, 

I have been turned down twice already because the people that I send offers on buyer requests want me to talk to them via WhatsApp. Yes, that's a sign that I have to install and make an account in the said social media platform. But I'm curious, what's stopping them from chatting? One can attach files and type text. What does WhatsApp have that the messaging service of Fiverr doesn't have? I know that people judge gigs, and if the gig is low rated, people might not consider it? But how am I supposed to get rated if I don't get orders? 

• Like 5

Not only is it not required, it also isn't allowed.

Don't worry too much about orders lost that way, better to lose a few orders than your account, plus, some of thr people who want to take you off-platform might not have "easier" communication in mind (how much easier and safer could it be anyway than simply continuing the communication where you are already conversing, don't need to share your private number, etc.) but either want to avoid the platform fees, or even scam you.

Politely remind them of Fiverr's terms of service (read them yourself, maybe save the relevant bit as a quick response), and if they don't want to work with you but still want you to break Fiverr's terms and risk your account, you're better off without them.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Any buyer asking you to go on Whatsapp is a buyer not worth the time. Politely turn down anyone who reaches out and asks you to do so and avoid buyer requests that ask anything like that. It's against Fiverr's Terms of Service anyway, so both the buyer or seller who choose to go on WhatsApp to converse will end up getting banned somehow.

17 minutes ago, aronpacino said:

What does WhatsApp have that the messaging service of Fiverr doesn't have?

People will have their reasons -- it could be to avoid the fees involved on Fiverr, hire sellers directly, etc. Some actually are well meaning and think that WhatsApp is fine then end up getting shocked when their account is banned.

18 minutes ago, aronpacino said:

But how am I supposed to get rated if I don't get orders? 

Exactly why you should focus your energy on people who choose to do business properly on the Fiverr platform. Hopefully, good buyers will be reaching out!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, theratypist said:

avoid buyer requests that ask anything like that

Hmm, I can't "avoid" those because I don't know. I just look at buyer request. Most of them just say "I need translators for this and that" nothing more nothing less. I send offer "Hello, I offer this translation". Then they would chat me on Fiverr only to tell me to chat to them via WhatsApp. There's nothing on the buyer requests that says "hit me up on whatsapp, here's my number..." So I can't really "avoid" them? I will only know if they send me a message.

But thank you! One thing I can avoid though, is accepting offers from them who wants me to converse with them via WhatsApp.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, aronpacino said:

So I can't really "avoid" them? I will only know if they send me a message.

That is true! Yes you are correct, I was assuming it from a perspective that they explicitly mention in the request to do so. Hopefully you get good buyers real soon! 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, theratypist said:

Any buyer asking you to go on Whatsapp is a buyer not worth the time. Politely turn down anyone who reaches out and asks you to do so and avoid buyer requests that ask anything like that. It's against Fiverr's Terms of Service anyway, so both the buyer or seller who choose to go on WhatsApp to converse will end up getting banned somehow.

People will have their reasons -- it could be to avoid the fees involved on Fiverr, hire sellers directly, etc. Some actually are well meaning and think that WhatsApp is fine then end up getting shocked when their account is banned.

Exactly why you should focus your energy on people who choose to do business properly on the Fiverr platform. Hopefully, good buyers will be reaching out!

You are really Genius. Thanks a lot for your good suggestion.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, theratypist said:

You are really Genius. Thanks a lot for your good suggestion.

• Like 1

Okay, update. I haven't really received any orders on Fiverr since I joined. I'm afraid that I won't be earning anything any time soon because people are always asking for WhatsApp. Are you all sure about that? This makes me worried. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, aronpacino said:

Okay, update. I haven't really received any orders on Fiverr since I joined. I'm afraid that I won't be earning anything any time soon because people are always asking for WhatsApp. Are you all sure about that? This makes me worried. 

The exact same thing happened to me. I went to buyer request and found many of them saying “I need translators…” and so I sent them an offer. Two of them messaged me saying that they were interested in my offer, but told me to contact them via WhatsApp. This though is against Fiverr’s TOS. What should I do?

• Like 2
  • Up 1

I think we should not communicate with buyers out of fiverr, because our messages and deals will be not under the control of Fiverr. And we will just do our work without payment. 

Edited by christ1nakl
  • Like 1