Sellers: What Computer Do You Use?

khalifacyrusuk

Hey!

What computer do you use to complete your Gig orders - and what software are you using?

I think it would be really interesting to see what people use and how they're finding it! This is not an advert for any software or brand!! 😄

For me: when I began in 2019, I used an old Dell laptop. I was lucky enough to invest my earnings in an iMac - and now Macbook Pro, which really improved my efficiency and delivery times! 

What about you?🥰

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the Acer Rog Strix (the blue one because the black one looked somewhat scary). I don't actually need a gaming laptop for my orders but it comes in handy when I'm mad at a customer 😄

(I just write in word and use twine to map out some of the stories, nothing too crazy)

23 minutes ago, katakatica said:

I use the Acer Rog Strix (the blue one because the black one looked somewhat scary). I don't actually need a gaming laptop for my orders but it comes in handy when I'm mad at a customer 😄

(I just write in word and use twine to map out some of the stories, nothing too crazy)

Ha ha!! Brilliant. Looks like a great laptop. Thanks for the comment!

Hi!  At the moment, an MSI Stealth. A few years old, with an i7 7th gen, a GeForce GTX 1070. It's a pretty nice laptop with terrible battery life, which is no surprise, though, as it's a gaming laptop. Also, a Surface Pro ... 3 (?) ... 😄 ... yes, 3 (current model is Surface 7, I think). It's nice and compact for travelling and such, although you pay for that with the small screen size. The kickstand still works perfectly, face recognition too, the attachable/detachable keyboard is great to type on, the trackpad is really good. (The "tablet part" of the thing is great for reading manga, by the way, and I love being able to use a pen on the screen. I had to replace the pen I got with it originally recently with the new(er) pen model.)

Software I use/need for my Gigs ... MS Office (the triarchy of Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Open Office/Libre Office, and a ragtag assortment of all kinds of text-processing software or apps that different customers use (Poedit, Notepad++, ... I don't even know the names of some which I use very rarely, and partly even deinstall until I need them again). Different browsers for research and to work on clients' sites online when needed, dictionaries, thesauruses, sometimes rhyming dictionaries, keyword tools, character counters, text to HTML converter, PrivaZer, ... that should be the "most used". 

I live in Montana where in the winter the air gets very dry. Two winters ago every time I touched my HP laptop it would shut down. After awhile the keyboard got warped from the heat that was generated with each shutdown. So, the summer before COVID I bought a iMac with the Big Sur software and a 21 inch screen. Now I have no problems with my computer shutting down. 

37 minutes ago, theratypist said:

I am so used to Windows 🙂 

I loved Windows and thought I would never change. But while I was substitute teaching many of the classrooms I worked in had Macs so I got introduced to them that way. My daughter is a Mac user and she sat down with me for 5 minutes and showed me what I needed to know. I find almost everything I do is easier to do on a Mac then a PC. Plus I love the 21 inch screen and my computer no longer shuts down when I touch the keyboard! 

40 minutes ago, helenabester said:

I only use Word and Excel, so I don't need anything fancy.   

Me too! 

40 minutes ago, helenabester said:

I also use Grammarly Pro and Copyscape

I have thought about looking into Copyscape just to see if anyone is copying my gig descriptions. 🤔

I also use Grammarly Pro, but I like the way it works on a PC much better. To me as a proofreader, Grammarly Pro is only a tool. If a seller does not have the knowledge to evaluate if Grammarly's suggestions are good or not then they should not use it. Grammarly has made some pretty odd suggestions at times. @helenabester My last comment was not aimed at you 😉

7 minutes ago, miiila said:

dictionaries, thesauruses, sometimes rhyming dictionaries, character counters,

Me too! I also use a book of idioms. 

Computer: i3 processor (integrated Graphics card) , 4 gb ram (I had 4 gb x2 ram in past but I blew up addiitonal ram slot in way of DYI troubleshooting) and 120 gb SSD (No hard Disk) Samsung 21" Monitor. <<= On Service since 2014.

Software: Photoshop , Visual Studio Code & Chrome!! 

11 minutes ago, miiila said:

without issues

I worked 20 window open last time, With sky pe + Slack running behind. Unless Photoshop on Duty , I don't worry about tabs. I don't use Netflix on PC so no idea 😄 Use SSD for power BOOST !! 

Oh, 20 sounds good! With Photoshop on duty, my i7 can have issues too, actually. I might downgrade next time instead of upgrade, because

11 minutes ago, web_laab said:

high configuration device

is nice, but also power-hungry, apart from being costly, and typically heavier too, so real-life and real-use experience by trustable people who haven't only used a device for an unboxing video or 3 days max, is always interesting.

15 minutes ago, web_laab said:

I do not have any fancy device. I use a old dell laptop. And I wish one day i will have a high configuration device.

My Dell served me well! I still occasionally use it. I wish you all the best in pursuing a high configuration device. 🙂

1 hour ago, theratypist said:

What can you say with regards to you experience between Mac and Dell? I just use Dell XPS 13. I have thought of going with Mac but I am so used to Windows 🙂 

In my opinion, Mac is a far superior operating system - it's intuitive, fast and just works! I have found that Windows computers age much quicker - even simple things like right clicking often caused my computer to go to 'not responding' mode. 

Mac is obviously more expensive. However, if you're doing well on Fiverr (I've seen your posts/advice on the forum, so I'm sure you're doing amazing!!) then it's WELL worth the investment. The way I look at it is like - a windows computer only lasted me 4 years and might cost around £500, whereas Macbooks/iMacs can last over 10 years - I bought an iMac for cheaper than my Dell (to replace my Dell), which was made in late 2012 (and it makes my Dell look like a 1900's microcomputer!). Over 10 years, it's actually cheaper to get it - and it made me so much more efficient!

Didn't realize this question is for sellers.. i.e besides the fact that my earlier response was dumb lol.. Unable to edit it for some reason, so here's take 2 of my response:

Core i5 processor with 16gigs of RAM and Nvidia GeForce GT 710 1Gb graphics card... OS Windows 10 Pro (was using Windows 7 for years but switched to this bloatware last month) . Most work happens on Excel, SaaS based platforms... OpenAI based tools and copyscape for content or outsourced here or elsewhere, Canva for minor graphics work, Photoshop for advanced stuff, Sublime text and Dreamweaver for landing page coding when needed... Notepad and sticky notes to keep track of to-do.. There are other tools I use depending on when the need may arise... 

1 hour ago, wp_kid said:

Love it!!! Windows 7 is the best thus far from Microsoft imho, it's a shame that they aren't supporting it anymore considering it's popularity even to this date.. I switched to 10 only last month and am already tired of its tantrums lol

3 minutes ago, khalifacyrusuk said:

I have found that Windows computers age much quicker

My friends have told me this as well! I would like to believe so as I have seen their couple year old Macbooks and they still look and function well!

6 minutes ago, khalifacyrusuk said:

Mac is obviously more expensive.

Yes, true! Actually the Dell XPS line is Dell's sort of choice product against Macbooks, it's usually the two of them that get compared side by side. Their prices are similar with the Macbook pro version on the a hundred or so dollars higher. 

11 minutes ago, khalifacyrusuk said:

However, if you're doing well on Fiverr (I've seen your posts/advice on the forum, so I'm sure you're doing amazing!!)

Thank you for the kind words! Hehe, I only do Fiverr on the side but it has been going well for a side gig. I am a healthcare professional outside of Fiverr and have to constantly talk and deal with patients sometimes it gets draining (esp with COVID going on). I could completely just focus on being that and I would be fine but I have found Fiverr (and the forum) gives me that sort of comfort and recluse, leisurely activity per se haha. Might I add, you have been very helpful as well in the forum. And surely quite successful as a seller! 🙂

19 minutes ago, khalifacyrusuk said:

Over 10 years, it's actually cheaper to get it - and it made me so much more efficient!

I will definitely be getting a Macbook Pro when the time comes! Thank you for the push along with @vickiespencer! haha

Archived