What's the ONE book that every freelancer should read?

dasarg

I am looking to get more educated on the topic of freelancing. What’s the ONE book you recommend all freelancers should read? It doesn’t necessarily have to be about freelancing in particular – any genre can do as long as it can be applied to freelancing.

As for my recommendation, I haven’t really read many business books and haven’t been freelancing for too long but I just finished Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook by Gary Vaynerchuk and I must say that it’s one of the best business/marketing books I’ve read so far and I think everyone here would benefit from reading it. I’ve read his other book #ASKGARYVEE as well but found that it generally just reiterates the same points as #JJJRH.

What’s your recommendation?

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I have no suggestions, I’m not really big on reading books of that nature (or taking courses, or going to seminars).

I know some of them have valuable information, but it’d be a pretty bad business strategy for people to actually give away their secrets/tactics/inside knowledge $10 a pop 😋

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Book Name: Pather Panchali

Pather Panchali is a 1955 Indian Bengali-language drama film written and directed by Satyajit Ray and produced by the Government of West Bengal.

Here is the Story Idea: Apu and his sister Durga try to make the most of their poverty-stricken lives. Very soon, when their father goes to the main city for a job and their mother becomes increasingly bitter, things go downhill.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aaarifur said:

Book Name: Pather Panchali

Pather Panchali is a 1955 Indian Bengali-language drama film written and directed by Satyajit Ray and produced by the Government of West Bengal.

Here is the Story Idea: Apu and his sister Durga try to make the most of their poverty-stricken lives. Very soon, when their father goes to the main city for a job and their mother becomes increasingly bitter, things go downhill.

Nice novel! I read the novel couple of years ago...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey there! When it comes to recommending a book that can broaden your horizons as a freelancer, I'd suggest checking out "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. It's not your typical business book, but it's filled with powerful ideas that can apply to our freelance journey.

Atlas Shrugged explores themes like individualism, entrepreneurship, and the pursuit of excellence. Even though it's not directly about freelancing, it offers valuable insights that can inspire you in your work and personal life. I have read it three times!

The book celebrates the importance of embracing our individuality, taking risks, and pursuing our ambitious goals. It reminds us that our work as freelancers is valuable and makes a difference in the world. Plus, it's truly captivating. It reinforces the idea that a persons value should be derived from the things they produce, which is what freelancers do after all.

Happy reading!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A cyberpunk classic, William Gibson's Pattern Recognition. Because we need Pattern Recognition, need to be Cool Hunters, need to secure the perimeter, need to take ducks in the face at 250 knots, need some motivation and identification, and deserve some, on the surface, unproductive chill reading time, too. I often revisit it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1