How do you handle someone that keeps leaving 4-stars?

fastcopywriter

Question

I have a buyer who keeps giving me 4-stars, and ordering back. I raised my prices from $10 to $20, and he ordered again. Now I'm at $40.

I hope that's enough to discourage him. I enjoy his orders, but hate his reviews. 

I was at 4.6 yesterday (overall rating), and today I'm at 4.5. I tried blocking him, but apparently you can't do that when you have open orders. 

I realize some people are unable to give you 5 stars, but they should stop ordering! 

9 answers to this question

I think outside Fiverr 4 stars is generally fine, no one is perfect and we can't impress everyone. But Fiverr makes anything below 4.7 seem like a bad thing, and affects a lot of metrics.....which is a another story I guess.

21 minutes ago, fastcopywriter said:

I enjoy his orders, but hate his reviews. 

This would have been a nice thing if they just ordered and didn't leave reviews! 😅

24 minutes ago, fastcopywriter said:

I hope that's enough to discourage him.

If you're raising your prices just to do that, why didn't you just block them beforehand? Maybe the price change might even be affecting other potential buyers that you'd be willing to work with at the original prices. 

26 minutes ago, fastcopywriter said:

I realize some people are unable to give you 5 stars, but they should stop ordering! 

That is true! I would just block the buyer really. But I guess you will have to weigh in if you are fine with the reviews and it constantly affecting your gen ave rating or the business the buyer brings!

You should block him. You can't do that while you have open orders, but unless he closes one and immediately opens another... You have a chance. An alternative is to temporarily raise your prices a lot (like, 10x) just to stop him from ordering while the current order closes, and then block.

Doesn't matter how much people argue about 4 stars being a good review or not, fact of the matter is that anything under 4.7 gets you demoted, therefore Fiver considers any average review score under 4.7 to be "bad". If your reviews are all 4 stars, you will be a no level seller, and lose a ton of benefits, so it's not a case of "Fiverr is not a contest, blah blah". It may not be a contest, but if you drop under 4.7 you make less money, that's just the way it is. A single client leaving 4 star reviews constantly can easily have this effect.

And mind you, this may be a perfectly happy client. There are people out there that think "Perfection doesn't exist, so I'll never give 5 stars to anyone". I've seen reviews from clients saying the work was perfect and rating it 3 or 4 stars. So it's not like the seller can even do anything if he's unfortunate enough to come across this type of buyer.

Just stop working with the buyer if he doesn't understand that. It's the only way - at least while Fiverr demotes accounts under 4.7. If they made the cut-off at 4.0 (still a good average review anywhere else), then it would be different.

I like your solution of raising prices. Basically taxing him any orders lost due to rating drop.

Dunno how bright an idea this is, but, like maybe lead off your messages to him with some gibberish like "Alpha Centauri, Arcturus, Betelgeuse, Sirius, Rigel". Maybe he thinks you're a crazy person and heads elsewhere. Maybe he divines some other meaning from it.

22 hours ago, theratypist said:

If you're raising your prices just to do that, why didn't you just block them beforehand? Maybe the price change might even be affecting other potential buyers that you'd be willing to work with at the original prices. 

23 hours ago, fastcopywriter said:

He was ordering too fast for me to do that, and I can't block him until the order is marked complete. In the past, if someone gave me a bad review, I would block them immediately. 

One thing I could have done was pause the gig.  Then it would be easy to block the buyer. Funny I just realized it now. 

23 hours ago, looseink said:

And 4-Stars is bad?

Wow.

You are lucky the Buyer leaves you any reviews.

Remember, this is NOT a contest.

Freelancing should be a business and a career.

I would love to be the kind of seller that only focuses on getting orders and making money, but the Fiverr level system has changed everything. I was a level two, got demoted to one, now I'm at 4.5 so I'll be demoted to no level. That limits how many gigs I can have, whether I can bid on buyers requests, etc. 

Also, some of my favorite buyers have never left me a review, yet have ordered many times. No review doesn't lower my rating, 4 stars or less does. 

In the old days of Fiverr, the only review was thumbs up or thumbs down. So if the work was so-so, you got a thumbs up. Terrible? Thumbs down. 

On 7/20/2021 at 9:23 PM, looseink said:

You are lucky the Buyer leaves you any reviews.

You don't seem to understand how Fiverr works. Fiverr is all about maintaining your level, maybe raising it if you can.  A 4 star review is worst than not getting a review, why? Because it lowers your rating and ranking. 

So don't be jealous of people that get 4-stars, there's nothing to envy. I'm jealous of the ones that have a 4.9 or 5.0 after 1,000+ orders.  

On 7/22/2021 at 2:43 AM, fastcopywriter said:

One thing I could have done was pause the gig.  Then it would be easy to block the buyer. Funny I just realized it now. 

Or, if you don't want to risk that buyer purchasing some other gig of yours, you can put yourself in Out of Office mode until you block them.

I put my gig in out of office mode when I decidedly don’t want to work with someone and they are not willing to respect that. Not for long, for enough time to get rid of them. 

It’s probably just one of the “it was good but I wasn’t BLOWN AWAY” people but it’s such an impressively effective way to tank one’s profile gently. I'm sorry that you got tangled in this situation.

Archived