What was the best advice you have gotten as a freelancer?

While doing freelance work, I realised how many areas there are, where I could still be improving or polishing my already acquired skills. One of the most valuable advices I've gotten is to be patient and graceful with your customers whatever the case might be. What advice helped you the most in your freelance journey?

• Like 14

1 minute ago, prava_smrite said:

The best advice i got besides freelancing :

1. Active online as much as possible.
  2. Send effective buyer request.
  3. Pray to Allah for getting order.

Does staying online actually help? I've gotten almost all of my orders while offline.

• Like 8

Oh, this is a tough one... Most of what I know and apply I have gotten through my business education, but I will keep it to what I have gained from the forum and my own experiences as a freelancer. 

First of all, I learned to get rid of unlimited revisions. I had them for a long time out of a genuine desire to deliver the absolute best I could, but I learned here on the forum how it could be abused, so although I never had any problems, I decided to get rid of them.

Moreover, I learned to always keep a cool head when responding to less than 5-star reviews. To take 24 hours to cool down if needed before responding. Professional responses to reviews are important as your future clients will most likely take a look at them.

Also, I learned to trust my gut regarding buyers. If I have the slightest bit of doubt about working with them, I will turn them down. This means I turn down more projects than I accept, but it keeps my experience positive, which is something I value.

Edited by vibronx
  • Like 19

13 hours ago, gajuseidi said:

Does staying online actually help? I've gotten almost all of my orders while offline.

Its really helpful. When buyer knock you, if you can reply as soon as possible. The probability of getting order increase. It is possible when you stay online.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, leannelrivers said:

Start from where you are with what you've got. 

I like this one. Start small, utilize what you already have and invest in the quality of your service.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, prava_smrite said:

Its really helpful. When buyer knock you, if you can reply as soon as possible. The probability of getting order increase. It is possible when you stay online.

I am also a buyer on Fiverr. I have purchased more than 200 services. Only once, one single time, have I looked at who was online as I needed something fast (4 years ago now). Most of the time, I could not care less. I message you because I want to work with YOU, not someone else. I will wait for you to respond. Another buyer on here posted something similar recently, so I am pretty sure I am not the only one who operates in this way as a buyer.

Also, as an experienced seller, I will tell you that it can be a nightmare to work with a buyer who wants something done urgently or ASAP (I have really gotten to hate seeing those two words). They are often the most difficult to please.

So, all in all, my opinion is that being online is a waste of time. I get most of my inquiries when I am offline. Spend your time learning instead of mindlessly refreshing a page.

Edited by vibronx
  • Like 14

Just now, gajuseidi said:

Start small, utilize what you already have and invest in the quality of your service.

It's served me well in all of my professional and personal endeavours. Especially when looking to where I would like to be vs where I am has become overwhelming. Many small steps go a loooong way. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, vibronx said:

I am also a buyer on Fiverr. I have purchased more than 200 services. Only once, one single time, have I looked at who was online as I needed something fast. Most of the time, I could not care less. I message you because I want YOU to work for me, not someone else. I will wait for you to respond. Another buyer on here posted something similar recently, so I am pretty sure I am not the only one who operates in this way as a buyer.

Also, as an experienced seller, I will tell you that it can be a nightmare to work with a buyer who wants something done urgently or ASAP (I have really gotten to hate seeing those two words). They are often the most difficult to please.

So, all in all, my opinion is that being online is a waste of time. I get most of my inquiries when I am offline. Spend your time learning instead of mindlessly refreshing a page.

Thanks for your opinion.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, vibronx said:

First of all, I learned to get rid of unlimited revisions. I had them for a long time out of a genuine desire to deliver the absolute best I could, but I learned here on the forum how it could be abused, so although I never had any problems, I decided to get rid of them.

Moreover, I learned to always keep a cool head when responding to less than 5-star reviews. To take 24 hours to cool down if needed before responding. Professional responses to reviews are important as your future clients will most likely take a look at them.

Also, I learned to trust my gut regarding buyers. If I have the least bit of doubt about working with them, I will turn them down. This means I turn down more projects than I accept, but it keeps my experience positive, which is something I value.

All these advice are very helpful. I still keep unlimited revisions (mostly because my gigs are quite straight forward), but I'll have to see in the future, it's not the first time that I hear that unlimited revisions can be seriously abused. I also already had the unfortunate experience of getting a lower rating review even though I am a quite new seller on fiverr. While I didn't take 24h, I did take 2 hours to cool down and carefully crafted the reply before writing it below the review. And I also need to learn to evaluate buyers sooner rather than later, some of them can be a real hassle to deal with.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, vibronx said:

I will tell you that it can be a nightmare to work with a buyer who wants something done urgently or ASAP

I agree. Anyone who wants something NOW is a red flag. I've done last minute jobs for return clients or people who have had the first attempt totally messed up by someone else, but in my general experience buyers who have a 2 hour deadline are pretty unprofessional and extremely difficult to work with. 

9 minutes ago, prava_smrite said:

Its really helpful.

No one is saying that it's completely pointless to stay online but it's not as important as many sellers think.

• Like 7

Only because you can do it, it doesn't mean you should. 

I used to have such a hard time saying "no" to projects. Yes, I'll design you a map. Yes, I'll put together a brochure. Yes, I'll retouch *all* of your photos. I'll resent every second of the process but I'll do it. Part of it is greed, part of it is fear that no work will ever come again. With a pinch of professional pride thrown in, I think. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, vibronx said:

I am also a buyer on Fiverr. I have purchased more than 200 services. Only once, one single time, have I looked at who was online as I needed something fast (4 years ago now). Most of the time, I could not care less. I message you because I want to work with YOU, not someone else. I will wait for you to respond. Another buyer on here posted something similar recently, so I am pretty sure I am not the only one who operates in this way as a buyer.

As a freelancer you may understand the scope of another freelancer. But after I reply many buyer late they did not answer me anymore 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, leannelrivers said:

I agree. Anyone who wants something NOW is a red flag. I've done last minute jobs for return clients or people who have had the first attempt totally messed up by someone else, but in my general experience buyers who have a 2 hour deadline are pretty unprofessional and extremely difficult to work with.

The other day I got my first buyer who canceled the order two hours after placing it. Unsurprisingly, he wanted the delivery NOW 😄 he even managed to blame me in the description of order canceling dispute, stating that I was not responsive and it was not clear when the order would be delivered. Fortunately, the CS managed to cancel the order without apparent negative effects on my account.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, gajuseidi said:

Fortunately, the CS managed to cancel the order without apparent negative effects on my account.

Thank goodness for small mercies! It can be like working with nursery kids. Tantrums everywhere. 

Edited by leannelrivers
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, mdminhaz05 said:

As a freelancer you may understand the scope of another freelancer. But after I reply many buyer late they did not answer me anymore

I think I understand what you are trying to say. That I have a different view of other freelancers' response time as a result of me being a freelancer myself. Correct me if I made an incorrect assumption about your message.

I was a buyer for 18 months before I became a freelancer/seller. My attitude toward sellers' response times was the same when I was only a buyer. The other buyer who shared similar experiences on the forum (sorry, I forget their name) is also only a buyer as far as I recall, so there are buyers who think this way. My post was just to correct the assumption that all buyers, or even most buyers, are only focused on who responds the quickest.

Edited by vibronx
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, vibronx said:

I think I understand what you are trying to say. That I have a different view of other freelancers' response time as a result of me being a freelancer myself. Correct me if I made an incorrect assumption about your message.

I was a buyer for 18 months before I became a freelancer/seller. My attitude toward sellers' response times was the same when I was only a buyer. The other buyer who shared similar experiences on the forum (sorry, I forget their name) is also only a buyer as far as I recall, so there are buyers who think this way. My post was just to correct the assumption that all buyers, or even most buyers, are only focused on who responds the quickest.

Thank you I understand. What do you think as a buyer. Why don't other buyer reply?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, gajuseidi said:

What advice helped you the most in your freelance journey?

To let things go. 

Could be a bad review or no reviews at all, hard times, harsh buyers, no replies from BR. I learned to focus on useful things and how to improve myself. 

Edited by alphagev
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, mdminhaz05 said:

Why don't other buyer reply?

I am also a buyer. If someone I have contacted replies and the quality of their English is poor, it makes me concerned that we may not work well together because of our language barrier. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lenasemenkova said:

Only because you can do it, it doesn't mean you should. 

I think that is a great advice in general. Although being a new seller on fiverr, there is this feeling of needing to do absolutely anything to get the ball rolling, to get your gigs to rank higher, therefore doing almost any order thrown at you. Of course, still having to turn down orders that are impossible to complete (in my case I do photo deblurring, but I cannot do forensic enhancement, since forensic software is not available to the general public, myself included).

• Like 5

1 minute ago, gajuseidi said:

Although being a new seller on fiverr, there is this feeling of needing to do absolutely anything to get the ball rolling

There's no shame in this. We all need that initial boost. I did some right junk for peanuts when I first started out and when I was acting in theatre I was happy to get paid in tea and biscuits. Now I expect the biscuits to have chocolate on as well. 😉 

• Like 3