My top 8 RED FLAGS when selling on Fiverr

smashradio

Yes, I agree with all of this. I don't do free samples/auditions. If they aren't sold on me already the free sample never sells them. I've never had anyone hire me with a free sample.  I also didn't know that it was against fiverr rules to do a free sample.

Also, keeping prices higher than average on the platform has weeded out a lot of the problem people. I still make the same amount but don't have the chaos that people looking for a bargain bring with them. I now work mostly with established companies who have a specific need to be filled and have a budget. It's a much nicer experience. Every once in a while I get a complaint about my prices from people who want my service but don't want to pay for it but do it anyway.

And I've also weeded out the negotiators. The people who try and haggle with me about my prices.

• Like 36

Yes, yes, and YES to all, but I do have one question:

• Oh, and pre-project tests to “prove” you can take on the job? Any Buyer asking you for an unpaid test is not only going against Fiverr terms, they’re waving one of the biggest red flags of all. Good Buyers don’t ask you to invest your time and skills in unpaid work"

Are you saying that for me, as a VO artist, it's actually against Fiverr's terms to send a free audition to a potential buyer?

For quite some time, I did not do any unpaid auditions on the platform. Instead, I sent the buyer a link to my demos, and if they wanted a custom read of a portion of their script, I would send an offer for a token amount to supply this. Later, I found that some other top-rated sellers will happily do a free audition, so I started being willing to do short auditions in some cases, but only once the buyer and I have agreed on the dollar amount and scope of the offer. 

If this has actually been a TOS violation, I'd like to know about it.

• Like 33

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2023 at 4:17 PM, lisabaarns said:

Are you saying that for me, as a VO artist, it's actually against Fiverr's terms to send a free audition to a potential buyer?

Fiverr Help Center:

Know your value
Fiverr’s services start at $5. While it can be tempting to offer promotions or discounts to get your orders rolling in from the start, offering your work for free is not a recommended approach to connect with or entice potential buyers.

Set your potential buyers' expectations and set the precedent that your work can’t be obtained for free. It’s essential to know your worth as a seller and not to compromise it to attempt to attract buyers.

Source: https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360010949038-4-Things-to-Do-Before-Creating-Your-Gig?segment=seller 

• Like 38

On 4/21/2023 at 10:18 AM, imagination7413 said:

No one is talking about "offering [my] services for free"! I am most certainly NOT tempted to offer my services for free. As I stated, I used to refuse free auditions, but having noted that some extremely successful sellers happily comply with these requests, I sometimes agree (please read my question for context).

I asked about an audition, a small subsection of the script, which is often requested by buyers in the voiceover category.

• Like 36

On 4/11/2023 at 3:00 AM, nextstepz said:

Suprisingly this article comes out as Fiverr allows you to pay to select your buyers. Where has this been for the past 5 years, why isnt this standard?

Regardless of red flags or no, you can not choose the buyer unless we now all upgrade to the seller plus program. Stop monetizing your sellers and start helping/supporting us better.

Well written article, and of course agreeable points - but lets read between the lines here.

I actually wrote this in 2021, if you check the date on the post. I'm not sure why it suddenly got bumped now, but it's still very relevant. 

If Fiverr didn't monetize their sellers, why would they be in the business? If you don't like the terms on the platform, you're free to leave, as are we all. We're not forced to work here, and Fiverr continually evaluates what works and what doesn't, both for them, sellers and buyers. In the same way, we should continually evaluate if working on the platform is beneficial to us. 

Fiverr definitely has room for improvement, though, no doubt about it. 

• Like 36