The badge situation

Jumping on this thread, as it is rare to find threads that promote helpful conversation.

I had a call last week with Matt about the forum. 

It was really helpful to talk to him, and try to see what his POV is.

He knows about all of the issues, he is actively trying to think about some solutions.

This will take time.

In the meantime, let me just clarify something about the badges and how I understand the situation:

There are three key metrics on the forum thus far. The badges we all know and love hate, the reputation score and a third one that has yet to be implemented.

The badges are a very superficial gamification mechanism, to drive forum participation.

The reputation score is what actually lets people know whether you are contributing or not.

And the third metric cannot be discussed yet, as I can't say I fully understand it just yet. 🙂

• Like 23
  • Up 2

Thank you Frank for your clarifications and your efforts.

Just a comment.

2 hours ago, frank_d said:

The reputation score is what actually lets people know whether you are contributing or not.

The reputation score is what actually lets me know whether someone participates actively in the emoji games topics and/or posts at the meme thread or not.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, corsogr said:

The reputation score is what actually lets me know whether someone participates actively in the emoji games topics and/or posts at the meme thread or not.

You're being a naughty boy again, aren't you? 😉 Out of the eight people with the most reputation on this forum, only one, Vickie, participates in those threads. You can check this for yourself by going to the top member section.

• Like 16

22 minutes ago, ahmwritingco said:

Out of the eight people with the most reputation on this forum, only one, Vickie, participates in those threads.

Lol, and I participate infrequently at that! I peek in there every once in awhile to make sure things are running smoothly. If a puzzle is not being solved by those who take part in the game I will try my hand at it to keep things moving along. 

3 hours ago, frank_d said:

So, @frank_d would you consider the emoji game a place for non contributors as stated above by he who I shall not name? 

I just looked at the leader board. I see two lovely ladies that I have not seen for awhile. I miss them. @offlinehelpers was a gem of a provider of helpful information, much like @lloydsolutionsis now when she has the time to visit here. I also see @eoinfinnegan I miss seeing him here very often too. 

Edited by vickiespencer
  • Like 13

56 minutes ago, corsogr said:

I haven’t participated in either as far as I can recall, so your assumption is more broad than accurate.

• Like 11

Just now, enunciator said:

Just randomly asking, completely out of the blue. Any eta on when this basic forum feature will actually be active and available?

image.thumb.png.56689eedc3ebf0e2763627c94b49c5be.png

Only Matt can answer that question.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

6 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

And the question of my odd looking badge. It seems that Matt has a very full plate. 

For your great efforts and helpful contribution to the forum, you shall receive the most valued and prestigious badge of all... No badge. 😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

17 hours ago, visualstudios said:

What we really need, as I said in another thread, is a forum wide upvote/downvote system, not just in the questions area.

I wholeheartedly agree, although I realize it's a touchy subject for some. By just giving us a full on Reddit style up/down vote system, you'd give us the ability to police ourselves, which in conjunction with active and consistent moderation, could really help to clean things up around here in a way that no amount of sad emojis ever will.

I hate to say it, but I fear the only thing that will stop the incessant 'thanks for the information' and 'how rank gig good' posts is to downvote them into oblivion. 

I mean, the forum is already 3/4 of the way there anyhow, with the trophies, and the badges, and the like button...

• Like 5