The badge situation

Is out of control. What are the badges supposed to mean? I would assume they are meant to lend credibility to certain users over others, but given the way they are implemented it just doesn't work.

I see people with rank 10, 11, with 150 posts (all spam posts, pretty much), while others have thousands of posts actually saying something and contributing to the conversation while having a way lower forum rank. Not to mention that number of posts by itself doesn't mean much, unlike, say, number of reviews on Fiverr.

Why don't the forums take into account the seller accounts for badges/rank purposes? Just picture this (not an hypothetical, I've seen it happen again and again):

User A gives some advice on the forums. He has the grandmaster badge, so new users will look at it as inherently more trustworthy than some user B giving the opposite advice, but with a low level forum badge.

However, user A is a no-level or level 1 seller, on Fiverr for 5 or 6 years, and has 10 or 20 reviews.
Whereas user B is a TRS, hundreds or thousands of reviews, and has only been on the platform for 2 or 3 years.

Who should new users listen to? Who should appear more authoritative and trustworthy?
The guy that is selling a couple gigs a year, or the guy who went from nothing to the top way faster?
Who knows best what works to be successful on Fiverr? The guy that in 6 years couldn't make it past level one, or the guy who got TRS in 2 years?

The answer for me is obvious. For the forums and the way they are set up? No so much.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 25

6 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

Is out of control.

Yes, it is. 

I see people with rank 10, 11, with 150 posts (all spam posts, pretty much)

🤦🏻‍♀️ When will it stop! 

I would assume they are meant to lend credibility to certain users over others,

It has been suggested that it should be based on our "Reputation" score.  Which for me is 35.8K

I imagine it is high for other users such as @lloydsolutions@jonbaas and many other Forum members who make valid contributions to the Fiverr Forum as opposed to spamming and trolling.  

• Like 19
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, I have suggested that myself as well. We already have a reputation metric, but it's hidden inside our profile for some reason.

That still is not necessarily perfect - it can devolve into a popularity contest, I've seen many old regulars on the forum in the past who were... let's say... abominable, and they still would get high reputation just due to the time factor. And popularity (as in, number of likes/reactions you get) means zero in relation to the truth value of whatever you're saying. Being popular doesn't mean you're right.

But yeah, it would be better. At least time on the platform is a metric that can't be manipulated, unlike number of posts and reactions.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

What if there was a badge of some kind (for want of a better word) that was added to the users of high forum reputation, underneath their profile image on every post, that indicated the forum value of that user's forum participation? This would be something that can only be given to users who have been around a significant amount of time, and have proven their worth, knowledge, reputation, wisdom, helpfulness, etc on the forum.

Some of these veteran/knowledgeable forum users can be seen by clicking the orange box at the top of the left column on your own forum profile, and then selecting the "Top Members" tab. Only eight users are currently listed in both of the two displayed "Top Members" categories (i.e., "Most reputation" and "Most content"), but, I imagine there are a few more forum users (not displayed there) that are worthy of such a suggested badge on all of their posts. 

This badge idea -- similar to how forum moderators have a little shield icon on all of their posts -- might help to differentiate the forum users who know their stuff, and are truly helpful, from the ambitious new forum users who offer little content of value, and are just trying to quickly climb the forum ranks.

Reputation on this forum (earned on this new forum design, and/or the previous two designs) has been earned by many over the years (most of us know their usernames quite well), and might be worth featuring on posts for the newbies to see (and benefit from). 

• Like 17

Posted (edited)

This is a great idea. But what do you mean by this? I don't see any such options. Orange box?

2 hours ago, jonbaas said:

Some of these veteran/knowledgeable forum users can be seen by clicking the orange box at the top of the left column on your own forum profile, and then selecting the "Top Members" tab. Only eight users are currently listed in both of the two displayed "Top Members" categories (i.e., "Most reputation" and "Most content"), but, I imagine there are a few more forum users (not displayed there) that are worthy of such a suggested badge on all of their posts. 

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

1920600467_ScreenShot2021-07-19at5_51_09PM.png.47a6e346c647731a4c2a4ebcb7d01156.png    Here is mine. And I never knew I was on the list! 😳

Whaaaaaa..? I didn't know it was clickable! This is an entirely new forum system I had never seen before. What kind of competition is this I wasn't aware of?

Screenshot 2021-07-20 at 01.02.04.png

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

I read the farcical posts.

I have to say, to all those who participated so far, without exception, that their critique and the problematic they present is very simplistic, easy to answer and tangent with their wishful thinking. I suggest to all of them, taking a break from the forum participation and instead focus on working harder or delivering those orders, if they have any.

If I have to, I will choose to just...maybe throw a bone, to this badge topic that is in "suspended animation".

Imagine someone who had the forum shield icon. He got banned for very long time and now he returned without having it. This means he failed to keep it. According to what you wrote and agreed with your reactions, this means that he no longer knows his stuff and he isn't truly helpful. This is balderdash. 

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, corsogr said:

I read the farcical posts.

I have to say, to all those who participated so far, without exception, that their critique and the problematic they present is very simplistic, easy to answer and tangent with their wishful thinking. I suggest to all of them, taking a break from the forum participation and instead focus on working harder or delivering those orders, if they have any.

If I have to, I will choose to just...maybe throw a bone, to this badge topic that is in "suspended animation".

Imagine someone who had the forum shield icon. He got banned for very long time and now he returned without having it. This means he failed to keep it. According to what you wrote and agreed with your reactions, this means that he no longer knows his stuff and he isn't truly helpful. This is balderdash. 

By deepening, we reflect.

We exist as transmissions. We grow, we grow, we are reborn. We can no longer afford to live with turbulence. Being is the driver of intention. This life is nothing short of a redefining reintegration of archetypal stardust. To embark on the story is to become one with it.

Have you found your journey? How should you navigate this quantum stratosphere? Visitor, look within and inspire yourself.

Knowledge is a constant. Non-locality requires exploration. The dreamscape is beaming with vibrations. It can be difficult to know where to begin. It is time to take science to the next level. Imagine an awakening of what could be. We must synergize ourselves and strengthen others.

• Like 8
  • Haha 13

41 minutes ago, maitasun said:

We reeeeeeeeeeeeeally need the facepalm emoji. 😬😅

Yes, please. Although, to be honest, that might become one of the most used message-response emojis on this forum. The poor little smiley guy would probably end up with a very sore "forehead". 😛 

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, visualstudios said:

I didn't know it was clickable! This is an entirely new forum system I had never seen before. What kind of competition is this I wasn't aware of?

It appears to be just for fun, however, it does give some good information about who is most active, helpful, and respected on the forum -- at least the top eight forum users, anyway. 

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

What we really need, as I said in another thread, is a forum wide upvote/downvote system, not just in the questions area.

Yes, I agree. I proposed it since the first day, but I guess Fiverr isn't interested and just wants to keep for the "Fiverr Questions" section. 😒

• Like 7

1 hour ago, maitasun said:

We reeeeeeeeeeeeeally need the facepalm emoji. 😬😅

I think a certain naughty boy on this forum would probably enjoy receiving dozens of facepalm reactions every day.

Edited by ahmwritingco
  • Like 6
  • Haha 10

9 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

in his research, he has tried to descript to explain that maximum people try to be success very fast for the reason stand and start to reply or post here regular 100-200 but after the night, it's just a profile not provide order, am i ok?

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

but people research, if you can make a better profile, you will get more order from fiverr, i am not sure about it,just say what people think . from my own research about google study

• Like 3