A tip for success we rarely discuss.

newsmike

Thanks for making it specific & on point . It has become almost mandatory for people to speak English if they want to join a global marketplace.
As a Bangladeshi, English isn’t our first language. So we often fear about speaking in English. As a freelancer, if you want to communicate with foreign clients, you have to be good at English and have to overcome the “Poor in English” Fear. That's a fact , no way to skip from this point. There are thousands of opportunity to learn English both in offline & online , all we have to do -
" 1. Acknowledge the fact , that we must need to learn English.
  2. Make a decision , I will learn English. No matter what happens I am gonna get it. "

And above everything I think it's more of a psychological issue than the reality.

4 hours ago, theratypist said:

It was only here on Fiverr that I learned how "Knock on you" means a lot differently from what I'm used to. I'm used to it being related to boxing, making someone unconscious. But here I see a lot using it as something like to reach out

That one is... Yeah, it sounds kind of awkward in English - I'm sure it sounds just right in other languages but when you speak English, it's just...yeah. I always thought it's something like 'when an opportunity comes to knock on your door' - it's just used in a pretty odd way! See, but here's the thing - even to this day many tourists expect locals to speak fluent English (and I admit when I'm abroad I hope that at least the first month someone will help, ha!). Translating that into an global (and online) setting makes it obvious that people will expect sellers to speak the language (and for many people who just aren't exposed to foreign cultures people not communicating fluently enough with them will be a big 'turn off'. 

My favourite is when those new sellers 'knock on me' to give them some orders... 

(I admit I've thought about being nice and seeing if they could help me out on my busiest days but... unfortunately that's not gonna happen.) I actually don't proofread for this reason - my eyesight is pretty poor so while I can manage my own stuff... I'd rather not deal with others'. But some people don't seem to understand this - they heard someone say 'oh, use grammarly and you'll be fine'. 

No. 

(sorry this was a rant-of-a-reply!)

"Knock on you" sounds like a New Englander's way of describing criticism. "I don't like how this work came out..." "Hey man! You knockin' on my work!? This is some of my best craftmanship, right here!"

I will say that as a seller doing graphics, poorly nuanced English from a buyer can cause a lot of headaches in terms of trying to pinpoint how they want the visual elements arranged or what type of illustration they are looking for; even people who are completely fluent in English and even proficient in business oriented communication may have a a great deal of trouble communicating issues they may be having with an image's composition, a problem that an art professor, graphic designer, or even an art or design student would not likely have. Bear in mind that as an artist, more often than not, I'm being reached out to by non-artists who may not know how to describe picky subjects such as proportion in regards to composition; this would be made worse if either of us were less than fluent in the Lingua Franca.

That said, I'm sure the reverse problem where the seller is not proficient in English would be problematic too; not only  may the seller have trouble interpreting some of the finer points and contexts requested by the buyer, but if anything is completely missed then forcing the them to patiently reiterate what they initially specified or worse de-escalating the situation after they get completely upset may be a problematic task.

6 minutes ago, newsmike said:

You disagreed with him, that's what. 😄 It's the latest rage in winning an argument with zero facts.

I think they just completely misinterpreted "pulling it out of a hat" (which somehow became 'pulling it out of hate') when being questioned about the validity of their speculation about the English writing abilities of people from different regions... which is actually an excellent case in point on the importance of understanding English and English idioms or expressions.

23 minutes ago, benrittmann said:

which is actually an excellent case in point on the importance of understanding English and English idioms or expressions.

But she even posted a picture of a hat. I hear your point, but for now, I am gonna stick with the poster intentionally being obtuse as the reason. I also offer this because, if you notice, the misdirections in several threads (Hey look, Elvis....You're a racist....Galileo, blah blah)...only start once they are asked to defend their "facts". 

Archived