When should i quit my job and focus on freelancing only ?

mahrukh_hassan

it’s never recommended to leave your job for freelancing as its name suggests that it’s a freelance thing means no permanent solution and I have read many unsuccessful stories as well as freelancing is really very competitive , people go in depression when they lose their gig positions and they can’t get their kitchen money,

To be honest your talent is highly appreciated but that is not a major reason for success , in freelancing it’s your luck as well(your life issues, any one can face any mishap at any time, like death of some close family member etc.) , as right now this year on fiverr i am nowhere in search , after three years of hard work ,giving my days and nights , no holidays as you can’t afford that due to the fear that your gig will lose its position , so after all that maintaining 4.946% of ratings all time , what i have right now is nothing for new orders on fiverr but yes returning clients do come but they are less in this field , like software or web development which are mostly returning clients.

My advice is do not leave your job in the beginning , burn some extra midnight oil (off duty hours) , sacrifice your sleep which you have to do(in the beginning) in any case even if you start freelancing 24/7(leaving your job) , so sacrifice your sleep by reducing it and work on freelancing, Whatever you earn from it think of it as a bonus for you , without having any worries of kitchen money.

SO WHEN SHOULD I LEAVE MY JOB?

First save money , do not change your lifestyle with the money you earn from freelancing , by life style i mean complete lifestyle , yes you should must buy tools which will help you improve your freelance skills , buy courses , buy software etc. . but do not change your lifestyle in the beginning as you may not know what happens tomorrow and 3-4 clients cancel your order and give poor ratings which may lead you to the end of search pages . Save money , invest it in safe places ,start getting returns from those investments,  when you think you have earned and saved enough money that you can sustain your kitchen without job , gained enough experience as well to create your own business or multiple services in freelance category then yes NOW YOU SHOULD QUIT YOUR JOB AS THAT IS WASTING YOUR VERY VERY EXPENSIVE TIME. YES TIME IS MONEY.  Start your own business now , grow , grow and just keep growing , as now you know the tips and tricks , you have enough experience in your field , you know how to get things done , you know how to outsource to clone yourself , this all takes time and experience to learn.

Can i start my own business along with freelancing and my job ? 
Yes you can but its difficult if you are good in freelancing and getting multiple orders daily , then you will be busy in your job as well as in making orders earning money , it will be very difficult to find time to invest in your own business , and i will recommend instead of putting limit on your orders do more work and earn more , increase your prices with your experience and quality of work , then use that money to buy others time to build your business , like hiring social media marketing agency to take care of your social media accounts , hiring more employers to work for you under some good manager etc. There are unlimited possibilities  , do what suites you best .

3 minutes ago, mahrukh_hassan said:

so again its not recommended to quit your job or leave other business which you have

I gave up regular jobs about six years ago, but it did take me almost seven years of trial and error to find my feet and thrive as a freelancer. leading up to that. There are overnight successes but I wasn't one. 🙂

3 minutes ago, leannelrivers said:

I gave up regular jobs about six years ago, but it did take me almost seven years of trial and error to find my feet and thrive as a freelancer. leading up to that. There are overnight successes but I wasn't one. 🙂

everything , every day and every night will pay off , cheers 🙂

5 hours ago, farhadsabuj said:

I Quit my job and developing my skill. Fiver will be my best place if I got or engaged with order. Still out of order. Freelancing is not a easy job. We must hang with it and develop own skill by learning and practicing. Still long runs to go.

best of luck , to be honest if you want to grow then nothing is easy , there is no shortcut or you just cant replace the hard work(in right direction) with a shortcut. stay happy , stay motivated 🙂

• 1 month later...

Even outside of fiverr, in other indie scenes related to content creation, the factors that get bright up the most are time and redundancy.

It's not really as visible here, but there's another site where I 'sell' my content via subscription. There's a third party site which tracks the growth of sellers on that platform. In my category, there are a few people making 30k CAD each month. But, if you go look at their graphs, it took years. Anyone I can find who is earning at least what it would take to replace my day job has been at it at least one full year.

I think there's also value in at least 'giving it a year' in case there are unexpected seasonalities to your category that you'll need to prepare for in the future. Years ago I tried making a game about knitting, and promoting it to knitters. It seemed they were very busy preparing their Christmas gifts, so I decided to hold off until they were free of that distraction. What I didn't know, is that in the months after Christmas, knitters are basically on vacation. The activity on knitting forums dropped to near zero. Right now, I'm focused on making content for the Dungeons & Dragons communities. Is there a seasonality? Don't know yet. I'm only a month in. Maybe something happens around GenCon. Maybe it's more about big product launches from the main game publisher. I'll find out eventually, but even if I manage a seemingly break-out success, I'm sticking with my day job until I know when the crests and troughs are, to see if I can handle the slow times.

Archived