Buyer won’t accept gig, then places another order?

the_romanticist

Question

Good day, everyone!

I have a bit of a curious query….I’m a little confused when it comes to the rules regarding the acceptance of orders by a buyer. Let me briefly outline the situation and maybe my question will become clearer.

I have a client who purchased a short 1k Flash Fiction piece from me (I am a ghostwriter) that the client said would be a test run to see if he liked my writing style. I completed the gig on time and sent it to him, he confirmed that he received it, but asked me some vague questions about revising formatting. I immediately attempted to make the requested revision (his gig included two free revisions anyway) and then I sent him the file, asking him to please confirm that it was correct. He never responded and he never accepted the gig. 

The gig was automatically completed after 3 days,  but then, to my surprise, he placed another order for a huge word count. He bought my most expensive package for my highest word count (7k) and then requested that I add an additional 7k words to the package, which I did. He paid for both and I’m about halfway through the order, but my question is….if this buyer refuses to accept orders but then continually places them, I don’t think the gigs count towards my overall gig count and I will not be able to level up as I would love to do in the near future, if all goes well. Is there something strange going on here with this client or am I just being paranoid? I’ve already had some bad experiences here with buyers trying to break the TOS and I’m not entirely clear on the responsibility a buyer has to accept an order.

Can anyone possibly enlighten me? Thank you all so much! The Fiverr seller community is always so supportive. I look forward to your responses.

4 answers to this question

Hey there! So my answer will be based solely on personal experience. First of all, every order counts regardless if a buyer accepts the delivery or if it's automatically completed after 3 days. So no worries about your completed order rate! Secondly, I've had several orders that auto-completed. There can be a few reasons why this happens. Most likely it's because the buyer is busy running their own business/life. It can be a good thing too, because they blindly trust you that the delivery will be good (doesn't have to be of course since people also sometimes just forget). Here's what I do in situations like this;

After 2 days I message the buyer reminding them the order will auto-complete soon (in case they aren't aware of this happening or forgot the time), giving them the opportunity to check the delivery and give me their notes if necessary. This way if you do run into a difficult buyer who, for example, demands you revise it after the auto-completion you can tell them you warned them and for a certain additional fee you'll revise it. Or you tell them you won't revise it since you did what they asked for and it's their own fault for not checking it, depending on what your personal preference is. But this also helps your case regarding CS (if it ever comes to that).  

But the main thing in cases like this and what can often be read on the forum is; go with your gut. If a buyer seems fishy to you or you just don't have a good feeling about it, don't work with them. You're in no way obligated to do work/work with someone you don't feel comfortable with. 

Hope this helped you a bit! 😊

Many buyers simply wait for the order to auto-accept, in my experience. That doesn't equal a rejection or dissatisfaction at all. They order was accepted. 

The process you describe for a new buyer trying out your services sounds quite normal to me. They place a smaller order and then move on to a larger one when they like your work.

I think it is you being a little bit paranoid 😉 in your case they don’t have an urge to complete an order, because they can already use your delivery right away. (Where with design services for example they have accept it to remove the watermark so clients more inclined marking orders as completed). 

But I don’t see anything suspicious here, they liked your test writing, they placed an order for a new one. And public review or them completing orders doesn’t matter that much. And it still will count for your stats and level promotion 

That’s perfectly fine. As long as there is nothing suspicious and it is acceptable practice for buyers to wait until the three day period is over and the gig is then automatically accepted. As long as the gig still counts towards my stats I don’t care at all if the buyer leaves feedback or reviews, I just want to make sure that the work I complete is rightfully accounted for and contributes to my overall stats on the site.

As I’m sure most of you know (or at least it’s been true for me, as a new seller) it is incredibly difficult to generate business without being given access to the buyer request section (although thankfully, I’ve begun to generate business on my own) and my hope is, that once and if I level up, I’ll be able to post responses to the elusive buyer requests myself. Of course, I can dream, I suppose! Thank you all for your feedback!

Archived