Is it wrong for me to ask the client if I can inspect his video files before he submits the order?

adeniji57

Question

I just had an encounter with a client who wanted me to edit a 10 minute video for him. I asked him to describe the video but the only word he could use was 'cinematic' and wouldn't give any further details. I then asked him if he could send me the video file so that I could inspect the video and make sure that it is "editable" and he refused. I usually do this so I can know exactly what the client needs before they submit an order.

I've run into issues in the past where clients have sent me 'uneditable' or odd footage that I couldn't edit and I we'd end up running into issues.

Is it wrong for me to ask for the footage in advance?

2 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, adeniji57 said:

Is it wrong for me to ask for the footage in advance?

Absolutely not. Firstly, the buyer is being incredibly vague in what he wants. "Cinematic" is not a definitive answer and has a very broad interpretation.

Wanting to look at what you may potentially have to work with is absolutely a reasonable request. If he sends you grainy, shaky, terrible footage that seems more appropriate for the "Blair Witch Project," but wants you to transform it into a "cinematic" extravaganza, then he might as well also ask you to turn straw into gold.

Archived