Tips From A Seller That Just Broke the $100 Milestone

lukecondren

Hello everyone!

As a way of welcoming myself to the Fiverr community, I wanted to start by giving something rather than taking. Now I know that $100 is a splash in the pond for some, but for the people starting out, hopefully these tips will boost you past what was stalling you from getting that first order!

I'd find the advice of someone closer to my level a bit more relatable than sellers at their first $1000, or even their first $10,000! So hopefully, you can take these tips and use them to either start your Fiverr success! Or progress it into something better than it was before!

1. Have Patience, My Friend

I imagine that a lot of you have started the Fiverr journey expecting immediate results. And that's ok! Some sellers who start out have impeccably flawless gigs, with professional thumbnails and competitive prices, due to their skills from outside of the platform.

But in most cases, it boils down to one simple thing. Waiting.

When you create a gig, it starts at 0 reviews and 0 impressions. Gigs are created by the hundreds everyday and it's quite difficult to set yourself apart from them. It's just the way the game is played. If your gig is greater than 50% of the competition, eventually, a price shopper will land on your gig and take a chance on you. This could take a week. It could take months. But eventually, you will get that first order. And that's where the fun begins.

2. The Thumbnail Is What Makes Them Click

As humans, we like pretty things. It's within our subconscious to equate something shiny to high quality. Example? Diamonds. Apple Products. You get the picture.

The thumbnail is the absolute first interaction with you and your potential buyer. The quality of the thumbnail relates to your perceived competency. But don't fret, quality doesn't necessarily means becoming an expert in Photoshop or Illustrator, there's plenty of paths to enticing a buyer to check out your gig.

One way is to show off your design skills if you have them. Color does indeed attract. It's why when a peacock presents its feathers, we have to look. It's beautiful!

Another way is highlighting the value of your gig within the image itself. If you look at the top sellers, you'll notice that 9 times out of 10, they'll explain their services within the thumbnail itself, making it readable and clear. If you're not good at design, do this instead. Or even better, find a designer on Fiverr and have them make you something better than you can produce.

Another way is show your face. Humans like faces, they like a glimpse of personality. You can do this by including a picture of yourself within the thumbnails design. You can either put on a big smile to show that you're a happy person who gives off the impression that you're fun to work with, or you can take after me and make a cringe, trying to be cool, thumbnail! I might not be smiling but damn, does it show what I'm all about!

3. The Title Should Be A Summary

Once you've hooked in your potential buyer, they'll look at a number of things. If they're price conscious, they'll look at your prices. If money isn't an issue, they'll read your title. Obviously, we want the buyers with a bit of 💲dollah💲 in their bank accounts so the title is your next priority.

Your title should serve, not just as the summary of your gig, but as a summary of what you offer. For example, my main writing gig's title is "Write an article that will make your competitors jealous". Show off your confidence and your personality, nobody wants someone who isn't confident in what they do. If you're not confident, fake it until you make it. Worked for me, it'll work for you.

Now I don't know my buyers competitors when they first contact me. But I do know that I can provide them an article that has quality. And researching the skills of my fellow Fiverr competitors, and knowing that buyers do have a bad experience when trying to find competent writers on many gig platforms, I can guarantee, at the minimum, I can write better than 50% of my competitors. So that means I can deliver on my titles promise to 50% of all buyers on this platform.

So when you're making a gig, don't be afraid to inject some of yourself into it. Because in the end, it's not your gig they'll be working with, it'll be you.

4. Have Fun With The Description But Show Value

They've read your badass title and they like it! "This guy with the crudely low resolution glasses on his thumbnail is pretty cool! The title reinforces that!". Well thank you, me, who is currently high fiving myself, yes, I am pretty cool. But back to the tips...

The description is completely yours and yours alone. You can do whatever you want with it. But what I'd advise is to place yourself in the eyes of your ideal potential customer. What would you think? This is what I think they think:

• Is what they offer clear and readable?
  • Does it explain the value I'll get?
  • Will I end up skimming it because it's too long?
  • Does the description give me an insight into the person I'm ordering from?

As a writer myself, I'd think of what a buyer wants in relation to what I offer. You should do the same with your target audience but for me, they want an article, a good one. They want it quick. They don't have time for spelling errors or bad grammar. They're after a person who can write in multiple tones, in first, second and third person etc etc

But they also want to know what kind of person I am. "Sure, it's good that his thumbnail is pretty flashy and his title sets him apart from most, but who is this guy really? Who will I be working with? Will they get my return orders? Are they easy to work with and understand that I may be a buyer, but I'm also a human being deserving of respect and patience?".

So to combine all of this into a summary, describe exactly what you can offer the buyer in terms of value and who you are. You're not offering a 500 word article, you're offering a story, something engaging to keep readers hooked, and something that's easily readable and clear. Think along those terms and you'll do fine.

5. The Sad Truth. Price Low To Begin With

I know, I know, nobody likes being paid less. But the game of Fiverr is reviews. And to get reviews, you need buyers. And the most buyers price shop at the very low end of the marketplace.

You want to be there when they're price shopping. Try not to see your start as a way to get the big bucks instantly, try and see it as an investment. Each 4-5* review you get increases a number on your profile and your visibility on Fiverrs algorithm. The bigger this number gets, the more opportunities and buyers you'll receive.

I'll admit, the worst of the worst buyers lie at this bottom end of the marketplace but it's a place where we all start. But you'll also meet some buyers who are pretty great. Don't worry, it's not all doom and gloom.

Every top seller you see had to begin here, where you are now. But if your thumbnail looks good, your title stands out and your description is solid, you'll come off as smart. And smart sellers can come off as intimidating to those who wish to take advantage of them. You wont avoid them entirely, not at all, it's impossible. But this is the way the game is played. If you meet these buyers, be wary. But it's a necessary evil to starting. When you've reached 10 reviews, start pricing up. 20, price up more. You'll eventually weed out these people. And your patience will pay off.

6. Do A Little Bit Extra For Your Buyer

Ok, you've landed a buyer and they seem nice. They've taken a chance on you and holy crap, that's pretty great! This is your chance to shine. I know I made price shoppers sound like the spawns of Satan but you will actually meet some decent people. They're just looking for some value or their own budget isn't so big but they're trying to hustle. You gotta respect the hustle. You're also hustling. Hustle together.

I bring back a cliche saying. "Under-promise, over-deliver". Give your buyer your all, ignore the price you're selling at. The tiers don't matter anymore, only what the buyer requests. I'm not saying slave away for them, just throw a little extra in. Don't violate specific things, which for writers would be word count or title, the buyer knows what they want. But if your delivery date is in 3 days, deliver it in 2 hours. But only do it if you don't mind, or you're ready for the Fiverr grind. You wont enjoy it otherwise.

There's been plenty of first tier articles that I've completed to a premium tier quality. I want these guys to come back after all. The pedantics of my gigs pricing doesn't matter. This is human to human communication and luckily, people recognize quality. I have 3 return clients and they're pretty awesome. I'm glad I went that extra step and the 5* reviews are mostly because of them. The first return attracted the second and then the third. So yeah, just put a little extra in. You can resume normal service when you're getting more orders than you can count.

And maybe send a deep and heartfelt thanks to those return buyers when you eventually price them out.

7. Always Ask For A Review But Don't Ask For A Specific Review

I bet you thought this was against the rules, huh? Nope! Fiverr has absolutely no problem with you requesting a review. They will, however, karate chop you to Kansas and back if you ask them for a 5* review. (if you live in Kansas, replace it with another state, I dunno, I'm British).

Your main priority in the beginning is reviews, reviews, reviews. Reviews are your currency at this point. Fiverr on its own does a great job on poking and bothering the buyer into submitting a review but it's not exactly the human touch. If your buyer loved your work, they were kind and friendly and the stars are aligned, ask them this:

"Would you mind leaving me a review you think I deserve?"

This is great because you asked them this. They've been so great with you as you produce some work for them, and your work, well, it blows most out of the water compared to who they've tried before. So if the buyer knows that your already cheap service is great value and you've told them what you want, they'll more than likely leave you a delightful review! But if you did mediocre or they're less than happy, well, it might be in your best interest to not ask them that.

8. For The Love Of God, Get Your Gig Right The First Time!

I don't know what the data wizards of the Fiverr algorithm are up to but if you don't have any return buyers, leave the gig alone. Just don't touch it.

Editing your gig seems to have a sort of re-submission affect. When I tried it, my impressions just tanked and with no impressions, no orders. Good thing I had those return buyers! Also, added bonus is you can come back quicker if you keep getting orders as Fiverr's priority is the percentage they take off your gig. Of course they'll want it up front and centre for buyers to find sooner, right?

So essentially, craft the perfect gig on the first try and leave it. Let the algorithm do its magic. I imagine gigs to be a perfectly balanced coin on its side. Fiverr can easily pick it up and show it to others. But if you knock it down, Fiverr's slippy fingers will have a harder time picking it up.

What's the best time to edit? As mentioned above, get yourself some return buyers to hold your hand through the process. Otherwise, hands off, seller!

And that's all from me! The obvious disclaimer is that I am by far an expert on the Fiverr platform. But advice from a person who's made the smallest bit of progress and still understands the difficulty of breaking out, might be better than the advice from someone who's beginner days were years ago and everyday is a $1000 a day deal.

But please, I encourage discussion! If I'm wrong, let me know, I'd love to learn something new! If this helps you, good, my work here is done. Feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions as I'm one of those people who get the good feelings from knowing I've helped others.

I wish you all the best on your journeys! Stay smart, stay safe, stay proud!

20 hours ago, lukecondren said:

Hello everyone!

As a way of welcoming myself to the Fiverr community, I wanted to start by giving something rather than taking. Now I know that $100 is a splash in the pond for some, but for the people starting out, hopefully these tips will boost you past what was stalling you from getting that first order!

I'd find the advice of someone closer to my level a bit more relatable than sellers at their first $1000, or even their first $10,000! So hopefully, you can take these tips and use them to either start your Fiverr success! Or progress it into something better than it was before!

I imagine that a lot of you have started the Fiverr journey expecting immediate results. And that's ok! Some sellers who start out have impeccably flawless gigs, with professional thumbnails and competitive prices, due to their skills from outside of the platform.

When you create a gig, it starts at 0 reviews and 0 impressions. Gigs are created by the hundreds everyday and it's quite difficult to set yourself apart from them. It's just the way the game is played. If your gig is greater than 50% of the competition, eventually, a price shopper will land on your gig and take a chance on you. This could take a week. It could take months. But eventually, you will get that first order. And that's where the fun begins.

As humans, we like pretty things. It's within our subconscious to equate something shiny to high quality. Example? Diamonds. Apple Products. You get the picture.

The thumbnail is the absolute first interaction with you and your potential buyer. The quality of the thumbnail relates to your perceived competency. But don't fret, quality doesn't necessarily means becoming an expert in Photoshop or Illustrator, there's plenty of paths to enticing a buyer to check out your gig.

One way is to show off your design skills if you have them. Color does indeed attract. It's why when a peacock presents its feathers, we have to look. It's beautiful!

Another way is highlighting the value of your gig within the image itself. If you look at the top sellers, you'll notice that 9 times out of 10, they'll explain their services within the thumbnail itself, making it readable and clear. If you're not good at design, do this instead. Or even better, find a designer on Fiverr and have them make you something better than you can produce.

Another way is show your face. Humans like faces, they like a glimpse of personality. You can do this by including a picture of yourself within the thumbnails design. You can either put on a big smile to show that you're a happy person who gives off the impression that you're fun to work with, or you can take after me and make a cringe, trying to be cool, thumbnail! I might not be smiling but damn, does it show what I'm all about!

Once you've hooked in your potential buyer, they'll look at a number of things. If they're price conscious, they'll look at your prices. If money isn't an issue, they'll read your title. Obviously, we want the buyers with a bit of 💲dollah💲 in their bank accounts so the title is your next priority.

Your title should serve, not just as the summary of your gig, but as a summary of what you offer. For example, my main writing gig's title is "Write an article that will make your competitors jealous". Show off your confidence and your personality, nobody wants someone who isn't confident in what they do. If you're not confident, fake it until you make it. Worked for me, it'll work for you.

Now I don't know my buyers competitors when they first contact me. But I do know that I can provide them an article that has quality. And researching the skills of my fellow Fiverr competitors, and knowing that buyers do have a bad experience when trying to find competent writers on many gig platforms, I can guarantee, at the minimum, I can write better than 50% of my competitors. So that means I can deliver on my titles promise to 50% of all buyers on this platform.

So when you're making a gig, don't be afraid to inject some of yourself into it. Because in the end, it's not your gig they'll be working with, it'll be you.

They've read your badass title and they like it! "This guy with the crudely low resolution glasses on his thumbnail is pretty cool! The title reinforces that!". Well thank you, me, who is currently high fiving myself, yes, I am pretty cool. But back to the tips...

The description is completely yours and yours alone. You can do whatever you want with it. But what I'd advise is to place yourself in the eyes of your ideal potential customer. What would you think? This is what I think they think:

As a writer myself, I'd think of what a buyer wants in relation to what I offer. You should do the same with your target audience but for me, they want an article, a good one. They want it quick. They don't have time for spelling errors or bad grammar. They're after a person who can write in multiple tones, in first, second and third person etc etc

But they also want to know what kind of person I am. "Sure, it's good that his thumbnail is pretty flashy and his title sets him apart from most, but who is this guy really? Who will I be working with? Will they get my return orders? Are they easy to work with and understand that I may be a buyer, but I'm also a human being deserving of respect and patience?".

So to combine all of this into a summary, describe exactly what you can offer the buyer in terms of value and who you are. You're not offering a 500 word article, you're offering a story, something engaging to keep readers hooked, and something that's easily readable and clear. Think along those terms and you'll do fine.

I know, I know, nobody likes being paid less. But the game of Fiverr is reviews. And to get reviews, you need buyers. And the most buyers price shop at the very low end of the marketplace.

You want to be there when they're price shopping. Try not to see your start as a way to get the big bucks instantly, try and see it as an investment. Each 4-5* review you get increases a number on your profile and your visibility on Fiverrs algorithm. The bigger this number gets, the more opportunities and buyers you'll receive.

I'll admit, the worst of the worst buyers lie at this bottom end of the marketplace but it's a place where we all start. But you'll also meet some buyers who are pretty great. Don't worry, it's not all doom and gloom.

Every top seller you see had to begin here, where you are now. But if your thumbnail looks good, your title stands out and your description is solid, you'll come off as smart. And smart sellers can come off as intimidating to those who wish to take advantage of them. You wont avoid them entirely, not at all, it's impossible. But this is the way the game is played. If you meet these buyers, be wary. But it's a necessary evil to starting. When you've reached 10 reviews, start pricing up. 20, price up more. You'll eventually weed out these people. And your patience will pay off.

Ok, you've landed a buyer and they seem nice. They've taken a chance on you and holy crap, that's pretty great! This is your chance to shine. I know I made price shoppers sound like the spawns of Satan but you will actually meet some decent people. They're just looking for some value or their own budget isn't so big but they're trying to hustle. You gotta respect the hustle. You're also hustling. Hustle together.

I bring back a cliche saying. "Under-promise, over-deliver". Give your buyer your all, ignore the price you're selling at. The tiers don't matter anymore, only what the buyer requests. I'm not saying slave away for them, just throw a little extra in. Don't violate specific things, which for writers would be word count or title, the buyer knows what they want. But if your delivery date is in 3 days, deliver it in 2 hours. But only do it if you don't mind, or you're ready for the Fiverr grind. You wont enjoy it otherwise.

There's been plenty of first tier articles that I've completed to a premium tier quality. I want these guys to come back after all. The pedantics of my gigs pricing doesn't matter. This is human to human communication and luckily, people recognize quality. I have 3 return clients and they're pretty awesome. I'm glad I went that extra step and the 5* reviews are mostly because of them. The first return attracted the second and then the third. So yeah, just put a little extra in. You can resume normal service when you're getting more orders than you can count.

And maybe send a deep and heartfelt thanks to those return buyers when you eventually price them out.

I bet you thought this was against the rules, huh? Nope! Fiverr has absolutely no problem with you requesting a review. They will, however, karate chop you to Kansas and back if you ask them for a 5* review. (if you live in Kansas, replace it with another state, I dunno, I'm British).

Your main priority in the beginning is reviews, reviews, reviews. Reviews are your currency at this point. Fiverr on its own does a great job on poking and bothering the buyer into submitting a review but it's not exactly the human touch. If your buyer loved your work, they were kind and friendly and the stars are aligned, ask them this:

This is great because you asked them this. They've been so great with you as you produce some work for them, and your work, well, it blows most out of the water compared to who they've tried before. So if the buyer knows that your already cheap service is great value and you've told them what you want, they'll more than likely leave you a delightful review! But if you did mediocre or they're less than happy, well, it might be in your best interest to not ask them that.

I don't know what the data wizards of the Fiverr algorithm are up to but if you don't have any return buyers, leave the gig alone. Just don't touch it.

Editing your gig seems to have a sort of re-submission affect. When I tried it, my impressions just tanked and with no impressions, no orders. Good thing I had those return buyers! Also, added bonus is you can come back quicker if you keep getting orders as Fiverr's priority is the percentage they take off your gig. Of course they'll want it up front and centre for buyers to find sooner, right?

So essentially, craft the perfect gig on the first try and leave it. Let the algorithm do its magic. I imagine gigs to be a perfectly balanced coin on its side. Fiverr can easily pick it up and show it to others. But if you knock it down, Fiverr's slippy fingers will have a harder time picking it up.

What's the best time to edit? As mentioned above, get yourself some return buyers to hold your hand through the process. Otherwise, hands off, seller!

And that's all from me! The obvious disclaimer is that I am by far an expert on the Fiverr platform. But advice from a person who's made the smallest bit of progress and still understands the difficulty of breaking out, might be better than the advice from someone who's beginner days were years ago and everyday is a $1000 a day deal.

But please, I encourage discussion! If I'm wrong, let me know, I'd love to learn something new! If this helps you, good, my work here is done. Feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions as I'm one of those people who get the good feelings from knowing I've helped others.

Thanks a lot

23 hours ago, lukecondren said:

Hello everyone!

hope this article will be productive for me, thanks

Big Congrats to you, lukecondren! I'm so envy of your achievement. I'm still trying to get my first order lol. This is the most insightful sharing I read so far here. Thank you!

BTW, I also just started a Gig to help to feed the poor and white flag victims in Malaysia. Wish me luck!

14 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

You made about $20 per month in the 5 months it took you to get to $100. So if you plan on making another post like this one when you get to $500, can we expect that post in 20 months from now? Or are you making more per month now?  

Great questions! You're right that it took 5 months from account creation to get to this point, but the $100 mark was achieved within one month, the first major order starting on June 24th, which was my birthday so happy birthday to me, I guess!

As stated from the Patience heading, it did take me a while to get to it, which is why I stated patience to begin with.

So if I didn't raise prices, and my return buyers ordered the same quantity of orders but stretched over the next 5 months, you would be correct, you'd see another one in 20 months.

But I think I'll deliver these tips for new sellers sooner then that. I understand pricing in correlation to reviews and impressions and I don't intend to stay at the same price points forever as my reviews increase. But that's all speculation for now.

So yeah, 2 months, 5 months, 20? I'll still deliver, regardless. I want to contribute to people who need help. And if my journey isn't as quick, well, my contribution will take a bit longer.

Thanks for the questions!

Also, it would help if you would create posts that are normal sized text print. It wears out my scrolling finger because I have arthritis. 

In addition to all of the other posters who do not use the thank you emoji commenting, this post involves a lot of needless scrolling. 👆 My poor pointer finger! 

On 7/9/2021 at 7:14 AM, rashadujjamanr said:

This is really helpful. Thank you for sharing this with us.

17 hours ago, coderboss said:

Very informative. Thanks

On 7/9/2021 at 8:07 AM, maaz_onlinerex said:

hank you for providing valuable tips...

2 hours ago, expert_abdur said:

Wow😍 Very helpful and informative. Thank you for sharing your knowledge

7 hours ago, rinasultana2026 said:

Thank you so much ... 

9 hours ago, justdesignercc said:

Thank you very much for sharing these beneficial tips.

11 hours ago, abdur_rahaman10 said:

Thanks for sharing this informative post.

On 7/9/2021 at 11:28 AM, asifwp said:

Thanks a lot

379118032_ScreenShot2021-06-25at11_21_25AM.png.df5bbc3d6cbc6fb8a712a635f3e2e331.png

On 7/9/2021 at 10:30 AM, developer_tuhin said:

Thank you for sharing your valuable information

To all of the posters of thank yous above. Please use the thank you emoji! You are wasting the time of anyone who reads any thread on the Fiverr Forum. 

1 minute ago, vickiespencer said:

Also, it would help if you would create posts that are normal sized text print. It wears out my scrolling finger because I have arthritis. 

In addition to all of the other posters who do not use the thank you emoji commenting, this post involves a lot of needless scrolling. 👆 My poor pointer finger! 

379118032_ScreenShot2021-06-25at11_21_25AM.png.df5bbc3d6cbc6fb8a712a635f3e2e331.png

To all of the posters of thank yous above. Please use the thank you emoji! You are wasting the time of anyone who reads any thread on the Fiverr Forum. 

My apologies about your arthritis being challenged with the scrolling, Vicki! I meant no intent to harm, just inform!

I'll see if I can use normal formatting in the future but I'd suggest avoiding long form posts that you know would hurt yourself! That's not good! Although, I'm flattered that you read the entire thing, despite your finger hurting so thank you for the commitment! I appreciate your effort greatly!

Archived