Fake customer?

francescaabb

Question

Hi, I started selling around 1 month ago. A guy posted a buyer request, I sent an offer, he messaged me. Then he started asking personal info such as my phone number to add me to the "team WhatsApp group". I just gave him my email; he sent me an email asking me to gather 50 people for the team and "don't worry about the payment" even if I sent him a customer offer. 

After another really vague email I blocked him on Fiverr and on email.

Pretty sure it's a scam, but I wanted to ask someone that's more experienced. 

21 answers to this question

Sounds well dodgy. Don't even give your email out, you're lucky it didn't get flagged and come with a warning. Gotta be so careful and stay firm when people ask for contact details. Some genuinely don't know it's against the rules here, but there are scammers. I've literally just blocked a guy who messaged me this morning asking for help, seemed he might want to buy my service. Turns out he just wanted a woman to chat with on Whatsapp. Immediate report and block. 

On 6/24/2021 at 12:22 PM, kumartapos said:

Now a days  full of  fake buyer..🥵They  only cheated us..They only hamper our Account..Is there any way to report those buyer..Who cheated us..

I never really understood the idea of a "fake buyer". If someone hires you, and pays for your services, then there's noting fake about their buyer status. If that same legitimate buyer causes problems after delivery, then they're still not "fake", they're just a bad buyer, and you deal with them accordingly (politely, but accordingly).

Referring to anyone who becomes a challenging buyer as "a cheater who hampers your account" strikes me as the wrong approach for any good seller to take. Yes, there are plenty of challenging buyers -- on all seller levels, but, it may not be entirely their fault that you are having to deal with them. If you price yourself as low as possible, just so you can get orders, you're actually opening the door to being taken advantage of by bad buyers. If you give away free work, on the hopes of getting an easy order, you are more than likely going to end up with a buyer who keeps demanding that you do more work than they purchased. if you cut corners, just to make an order easier for yourself, you can't really complain if an already bad buyer demands a refund.

We all face challenging buyers, but there are many things new sellers do that make it far too easy to be taken advantage of. Most of the time, standing up for your own value, saying no when someone tries to get more work than they hired you for, and being willing to do thorough work (according to what was ordered) can build a stronger reputation as a seller that bad buyers will avoid. 

7 hours ago, kumartapos said:

Is there any way to report those buyer

Yep, you can report them! If you hover over the buyer's message, a little flag with the word report next to it will pop-up. Click on report and fill out the form that comes!

2 minutes ago, kumartapos said:

Now a days  full of  fake buyer..🥵They  only cheated us..They only hamper our Account..Is there any way to report those buyer..Who cheated us..

There is no such people called fake buyers. all we have is spammers and scammers. you can't be fake and buy at the same time because placing an order is a commitment.

If you follow the guidelines well, you can remain un-harmed from the spammers and scammers because all they do is try to do something violates terms of services.

Regardless of the situation, do not share your personal or contact info. Its strictly prohibited on fiverr, unless that is something extremly necessory to complete an order like a business card designer needs to know the buyer's personal info to be included in the design. Those also must be exchanged in the order page.

Take it serious, you may have warnings on your account or ultimately get banned from the platform doing so.

On Fiverr, giving out your contact information (any kind of contact information) can get you permanently banned.

As soon as someone asks for your personal contact info, they're asking you to break the rules; some may not be aware of it, especially if they're used to other platforms, but if you see that they have sent that kind of message in an attachment, you can be completely sure that they're fully aware they're breaking the rules.

2 minutes ago, lloydsolutions said:
  • To protect our users' privacy, user identities are kept anonymous. Requesting or providing Email addresses, s***e/IM usernames, telephone numbers or any other personal contact details to communicate outside of Fiverr in order to circumvent or abuse the Fiverr messaging system or Fiverr platform is not permitted.

The above is from the Terms of Service at the bottom of the Fiverr main page.

Make sure to carefully read the Terms of Service as a violation can risk your account.

Thank you, I had no idea. I have been working on other freelance sites and it was permitted there.

13 minutes ago, francescaabb said:

I just gave him my email;

• To protect our users' privacy, user identities are kept anonymous. Requesting or providing Email addresses, s***e/IM usernames, telephone numbers or any other personal contact details to communicate outside of Fiverr in order to circumvent or abuse the Fiverr messaging system or Fiverr platform is not permitted.

The above is from the Terms of Service at the bottom of the Fiverr main page.

Make sure to carefully read the Terms of Service as a violation can risk your account.

2 minutes ago, leannelrivers said:

Sounds well dodgy. Don't even give your email out, you're lucky it didn't get flagged and come with a warning. Gotta be so careful and stay firm when people ask for contact details. Some genuinely don't know it's against the rules here, but there are scammers. I've literally just blocked a guy who messaged me this morning asking for help, seemed he might want to buy my service. Turns out he just wanted a woman to chat with on Whatsapp. Immediate report and block. 

Thank you, I gave him my backup email as it's not linked with any social medias and has no personal info. Him asking for my number (twice) was a big red flag. Is there any way to report these customers? 

Archived