Broadcast rights for Voice Over?

hannweiland

Question

Hi there, I’m a new seller, and I do voice over gigs. I was recently approached by a buyer asking for a voice over gig, but wanting a signed release of rights worldwide, over all media, in perpetuity. The gig is for a voice dub for contributors to a documentary (buyer is getting back to me on word count). The buyer has also asked if there will be an additional charge for the broadcast buyout.

is there a standard amount I should charge? What should I tell this buyer?

8 answers to this question

The minimum amount you can charge is $5, to get a gauge of how much that costs you can look in other gigs in your category and see how much others are charging. It usually is listed as an "extra" but you can also not charge extra for it, totally depends on you. 

Here is a screenshot of the pricing of a long time top rated seller I've purchased from for a VO project before.  You can edit your gig and you will be able to enable extras like these and be more specific of the scope of your offering and what you cover for the price.

Untitled.png

3 minutes ago, theratypist said:

The minimum amount you can charge is $5, to get a gauge of how much that costs you can look in other gigs in your category and see how much others are charging. It usually is listed as an "extra" but you can also not charge extra for it, totally depends on you. 

Here is a screenshot of the pricing of a long time top rated seller I've purchased from for a VO project before.  You can edit your gig and you will be able to enable extras like these and be more specific of the scope of your offering and what you cover for the price.

Untitled.png

Thank you so much! 

The industry standard for broadcast rights is high and depends on how long the content will be broadcast for and where (regional, national, etc). I'm doubtful that many buyers here would be willing to pay industry prices, however. I have mine set to $300 for one year of TV and radio use, I still find it low but...other sellers have higher prices, some much lower. It's really up to you. Anyone producing content for TV and radio should be well aware of usage rights and be ready to include that in their budget. 

12 minutes ago, leannelrivers said:

The industry standard for broadcast rights is high and depends on how long the content will be broadcast for and where (regional, national, etc). I'm doubtful that many buyers here would be willing to pay industry prices, however. I have mine set to $300 for one year of TV and radio use, I still find it low but...other sellers have higher prices, some much lower. It's really up to you. Anyone producing content for TV and radio should be well aware of usage rights and be ready to include that in their budget. 

Thanks for that feedback!

11 minutes ago, leannelrivers said:

Sure! I downloaded a useful breakdown of usage rights a while ago from, I believe, voices.com. I use that as a general template particularly for non-Fiverr clients and it definitely woke me up to how low I had mine set here. 

Oh that’s really good to know, I’ll look that up as well. I really appreciate it!

Archived