My Gig Is the third on the search list!

a_ifinedo

I woke up to my gig for outlining plots being the third on the search list for “plot outlines”! I’m just so excited, I couldn’t not share this! As a new seller, it really shocked me! And encouraged me! Here’s to more good news!

That’s lovely to hear! I remember I saw my gig on the first page as well and how it made me so excited as well. It’s little things like this that keeps your spark going and indeed encourages to stick to the quite challenging world of freelancing!

Hopefully you’ll get more orders coming to you soon 😃

I don’t want to ruin your excitement, but this year Fiverr switched from a classic general search engine to a personal buyer-to-seller matching system.
It means that according to the algorithm you’re the third most likely person you’d trust if you were to buy a service in one of your fields. I’m always second or third now too if I look for one of my gigs. 😬

It’s good that I’m telling you though, because obsessing about rankings is one of the worst recurring vices I see on here. Even experienced folks did it too when it barely figured back then, so imagine now. Checking what the little gig stat graphs tell you once a week is already enough!

Proof from Frank

Ranking is no more

I started hinting about this mid-2020, then started actively talking about it.

Talking about ranking is moot, as there are no more results pages. Well technically there are, but you’ll see what I mean in a minute.

Fiverr transitioned from being a search engine like Google to being a match making service like Tinder.

It no longer serves users (buyers) with pages filled with search results, ranked according to how well they are “performing”.

Fiverr also no longer counts on buyers clicking on verticals to find what they need.

It’s all about the search function.

Fiverr’s new engine tries to match a buyer with a potential seller that will be as close to a 100% ideal match as possible, as soon as possible.

A great match is when:

A) a seller offers something relative to what the buyer is searching for
and
B) a seller has great “performance”

It’s all about reducing risk for Fiverr.

Risk that the buyer won’t find someone to hire and therefore won’t spent their money.

Or risk that the buyer will not get a great service and ask for a refund, never to return again on the platform.

That’s lovely to hear! I remember I saw my gig on the first page as well and how it made me so excited as well. It’s little things like this that keeps your spark going and indeed encourages to stick to the quite challenging world of freelancing!

Hopefully you’ll get more orders coming to you soon 😃

Thank you, Sabines! Indeed, little things make big differences. I hope for the same, thanks again.

Lovely and interesting to hear. I am happy for you, and I wish you the very best in this fiverr journey

If I may ask, for how long have you created the gig? Like for how many months or weeks?

Thank you! I think I created the gig in April. Can’t remember the exact date.

I don’t want to ruin your excitement, but this year Fiverr switched from a classic general search engine to a personal buyer-to-seller matching system.

It means that according to the algorithm you’re the third most likely person you’d trust if you were to buy a service in one of your fields. I’m always second or third now too if I look for one of my gigs. 😬

It’s good that I’m telling you though, because obsessing about rankings is one of the worst recurring vices I see on here. Even experienced folks did it too when it barely figured back then, so imagine now. Checking what the little gig stat graphs tell you once a week is already enough!

Proof from Frank

Ranking is no more

I started hinting about this mid-2020, then started actively talking about it.

Talking about ranking is moot, as there are no more results pages. Well technically there are, but you’ll see what I mean in a minute.

Fiverr transitioned from being a search engine like Google to being a match making service like Tinder.

It no longer serves users (buyers) with pages filled with search results, ranked according to how well they are “performing”.

Fiverr also no longer counts on buyers clicking on verticals to find what they need.

It’s all about the search function.

Fiverr’s new engine tries to match a buyer with a potential seller that will be as close to a 100% ideal match as possible, as soon as possible.

A great match is when:

A) a seller offers something relative to what the buyer is searching for

and

B) a seller has great “performance”

It’s all about reducing risk for Fiverr.

Risk that the buyer won’t find someone to hire and therefore won’t spent their money.

Or risk that the buyer will not get a great service and ask for a refund, never to return again on the platform.

Wow Matt. Thanks for the information, really. I had no idea! I’m glad you told me this. Nevertheless, the gig on its own has been performing well, so I’m still good 🤭. So if this new system matches buyers with sellers that are “performing”…what does this mean for gigs that haven’t even been rated?

Wow Matt. Thanks for the information, really. I had no idea! I’m glad you told me this. Nevertheless, the gig on its own has been performing well, so I’m still good 🤭. So if this new system matches buyers with sellers that are “performing”…what does this mean for gigs that haven’t even been rated?

Of course, performance still accounts for a fraction of why you’re showing up. Could be big, could be some 30-50% - we don’t get to know the algorithm since it’s proprietary.

what does this mean for gigs that haven’t even been rated?

The algorithm for sure uses other data such as the person’s internet “profile” (we share a lot of data unconsciously), keyword choice, IMHO also location/timezone, etc.

Congratulations 😁 It’s so exciting when it appears on the first page of a search result! And I commend you on the gig–I have enough trouble coming up with my own plot outlines! 😅

Thank you so so, Kylie! You’re right. It is exciting, although @mattboa gives more information for that ranking. You can read his post above yours.

Lol, plots basically dance around in my head all day. The inspiration for it is endless, so I decided to use that “talent” to help out here. It’s fun?

Of course, performance still accounts for a fraction of why you’re showing up. Could be big, could be some 30-50% - we don’t get to know the algorithm since it’s proprietary.

what does this mean for gigs that haven’t even been rated?

The algorithm for sure uses other data such as the person’s internet “profile” (we share a lot of data unconsciously), keyword choice, IMHO also location/timezone, etc.

Ah…wow. Algorithms… algorithms 😂. There’s a lot to know and understand here. Thanks for the info, Matt.

I woke up to my gig for outlining plots being the third on the search list for “plot outlines”! I’m just so excited, I couldn’t not share this! As a new seller, it really shocked me! And encouraged me! Here’s to more good news!

As a new seller, i

In addition to what @mattboa said, Fiverr also promotes new sellers more for about a month, then that goes away and your gig is placed in search on its merits.

Archived