Balancing Full-Time Job With Freelance

allienapz

I am working a 9-5 for 6 days a week as an architect.
After that i do digital art here.

Its been going like this for 1.5 years. But ultimately, i will quit architecture and go on digital arts. At least that what i am hoping for.

As in right now, my relaxing time has become “freelancing time”. So its tiring. I havent slept earlier than 01.00am for a long time, and got up at 6.00am. As you can see, its not all fun and games. But i have a goal, and im gonna suffer for i for another 1.5 years(what i have calculated)

There is one downside however, i cant see my gigs full potention. I have been rejecting many jobs because of the time limit i have got. So im not sure how much more i can get for fulltime freelance. I guess we will learn.

Its been going like this for 1.5 years. But ultimately, i will quit architecture and go on digital arts. At least that what i am hoping for.

As in right now, my relaxing time has become “freelancing time”. So its tiring. I havent slept earlier than 01.00am for a long time, and got up at 6.00am. As you can see, its not all fun and games. But i have a goal, and im gonna suffer for i for another 1.5 years(what i have calculated)

There is one downside however, i cant see my gigs full potention. I have been rejecting many jobs because of the time limit i have got. So im not sure how much more i can get for fulltime freelance. I guess we will learn.

Wow! Thank you for sharing. You are such a hard worker. I know all of the long days and nights will pay off. It sounds like you are building a successful business, and I wish you the best of luck!

-Allie

Hey everyone! I was wondering who on here has a full-time job working for a company? How do you balance this with freelance work? Do you have goals to ultimately leave your full-time job?

Thanks!

Allie

Hi Allienapz. I do a variety of easy home jobs. I never depend on one source of income to take care of me. Fiverr is also easy money for me, and I look forward to working it everyday.

I schedule my day around my home jobs. I break for 2 or 3 hours all during the day to run errands, see about my kids and take care of other business. Then, jump back to my home jobs. I love it.

My goal is to continue working from home with these easy home jobs. They keep me busy, keep my mind active and make me feel fulfilled.

I don’t have another job right now but I did start writing on here while I was nannying/studying (and teaching) abroad. For me it’s too much - kids as much as I love them drain me energy-wise so when I’m done looking after them I can’t write (granted, last summer I was working 12+ hours a day, 6-7 days a week so I didn’t really have the time…) I think there are people who can do the two well together but not me 😃
Now I hope to volunteer/start living as a digital nomad when travel is easier but for quar
antine ended up being good (as I had to come back home and started writing full time!) But yeah, I think as long as one has good time management skills it’s possible I think, just not for everyone!

I don’t have another job right now but I did start writing on here while I was nannying/studying (and teaching) abroad. For me it’s too much - kids as much as I love them drain me energy-wise so when I’m done looking after them I can’t write (granted, last summer I was working 12+ hours a day, 6-7 days a week so I didn’t really have the time…) I think there are people who can do the two well together but not me 😃

Now I hope to volunteer/start living as a digital nomad when travel is easier but for quar

antine ended up being good (as I had to come back home and started writing full time!) But yeah, I think as long as one has good time management skills it’s possible I think, just not for everyone!

kids as much as I love them drain me energy-wise

Lol, wait until you are 70 and take care of 3 grandkids ages 10, 7 and 2! Although it is not a daily occurrence I need to sleep in the next day!

kids as much as I love them drain me energy-wise

Lol, wait until you are 70 and take care of 3 grandkids ages 10, 7 and 2! Although it is not a daily occurrence I need to sleep in the next day!

Haha I don’t doubt that!

My excuse was ‘they aren’t mine so I have to entertain them 24/7’ but really I just think kids are a lot 😃

(A good nap after the house gets quiet is really good though!)

I do think it’d been possibly to juggle the two in retrospect but I was also travelling and… Who wants to spend their time locked up writing when they are at the French seaside?

Hi Allienapz. I do a variety of easy home jobs. I never depend on one source of income to take care of me. Fiverr is also easy money for me, and I look forward to working it everyday.

I schedule my day around my home jobs. I break for 2 or 3 hours all during the day to run errands, see about my kids and take care of other business. Then, jump back to my home jobs. I love it.

My goal is to continue working from home with these easy home jobs. They keep me busy, keep my mind active and make me feel fulfilled.

Wow! Thank you for sharing. It sounds like you are so busy and such a great mom. I hope we can find ways to support each other on Fiverr. Good luck to you!

-Allie

Thank you for sharing your incredible story! What kind of writing do you do? It’s amazing that you do it full time now. Any tips for new Fiverr sellerss?

-Allie

Thank you for sharing your incredible story! What kind of writing do you do? It’s amazing that you do it full time now. Any tips for new Fiverr sellerss?

-Allie

I write mostly for video games and some other random things (horror stories, interactive stories and the like!) I actually often write for kids so I am definitely using my experience with kiddos 😃 No real advice just… push on and do ENJOY what you’re doing. It’s so important if it ever becomes big enough to be a somewhat full time job! (…even part-time, really haha)

Hi Allie

I had a full time TEFL teaching job in Thailand for 3 years while I was building my Fiverr profile, making deals with long term clients, and also some other platforms, etc. It wasn’t easy as teaching is a demanding job with long hours, but it gave me stability and a fixed income while I was freelancing on the side.

Last year I quit my teaching job to freelance full time and it’s been amazing! I have much more time to hit the road with my bike and travel around Thailand while still being able to work from anywhere. To answer your question, there is often a great imbalance and it can be tough, but if you accept that it is temporary with a focus on your greater goal, it’s absolutely worth it when you get there!

I work in a similar field as a construction engineer. My work days are much longer. I work from 7am-7pm for 6days a week. However, we have breaks in between.

I am just starting out on Fiverr and I’m not sure how the balancing act going to be. My job is my bread and butter, and I don’t see myself leaving it completely one way or the other anytime soon.

@allienapz great topic btw. I’ve done other freelance gigs here and there in the past and it can be challenging to be on top of your game sometimes with a full-time commitment.

I write mostly for video games and some other random things (horror stories, interactive stories and the like!) I actually often write for kids so I am definitely using my experience with kiddos 😃 No real advice just… push on and do ENJOY what you’re doing. It’s so important if it ever becomes big enough to be a somewhat full time job! (…even part-time, really haha)

This is great advice! I will definitely try to keep in mind enjoying what I’m doing. I love writing and we need to just remember why we started in the first place!

Hi Allie

I had a full time TEFL teaching job in Thailand for 3 years while I was building my Fiverr profile, making deals with long term clients, and also some other platforms, etc. It wasn’t easy as teaching is a demanding job with long hours, but it gave me stability and a fixed income while I was freelancing on the side.

Last year I quit my teaching job to freelance full time and it’s been amazing! I have much more time to hit the road with my bike and travel around Thailand while still being able to work from anywhere. To answer your question, there is often a great imbalance and it can be tough, but if you accept that it is temporary with a focus on your greater goal, it’s absolutely worth it when you get there!

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing. This is a great success story - congratulations! I can imagine how much work went into getting where you are today. Thank you for your advice, and good luck to you!

-Allie

I work in a similar field as a construction engineer. My work days are much longer. I work from 7am-7pm for 6days a week. However, we have breaks in between.

I am just starting out on Fiverr and I’m not sure how the balancing act going to be. My job is my bread and butter, and I don’t see myself leaving it completely one way or the other anytime soon.

@allienapz great topic btw. I’ve done other freelance gigs here and there in the past and it can be challenging to be on top of your game sometimes with a full-time commitment.

Thanks for sharing! You are such a badass for working that much on top of starting your freelance career. Good luck to you. Let’s definitely keep in touch!

We are the unwanted children of “white collar jobs”.

You have breaks in between or you want ot believe you have breaks in between? 😃

TBH, both! 😂 Since I work directly on site, I can chuck away some free time here and there besides official breaks.

I do work with a lot of architects, we do have in-house as well, I believe you guys are more glued to the screen than us. Honestly, I love the practical aspect of my Job, not the admin & paperwork. 😃

TBH, both! 😂 Since I work directly on site, I can chuck away some free time here and there besides official breaks.

I do work with a lot of architects, we do have in-house as well, I believe you guys are more glued to the screen than us. Honestly, I love the practical aspect of my Job, not the admin & paperwork. 😃

I work at site, always. Because if you work at the office you get paid even less because of the “comforts of the office” I cant tell how much i hate this system. One day if i have a child who wants to be an architect, i will send that child to top of the highest mountain to meditate for years and get enlightened.

Why else would i try to trash my 10 years of architecture career to draw monsters.

I work at site, always. Because if you work at the office you get paid even less because of the “comforts of the office” I cant tell how much i hate this system. One day if i have a child who wants to be an architect, i will send that child to top of the highest mountain to meditate for years and get enlightened.

Why else would i try to trash my 10 years of architecture career to draw monsters.

system. One day if i have a child who wants to be an architect, i will send that child to top of the highest mountain to meditate for years and get enlightened.

At least you get to apply those design skills and a trained eye into your illustrations. I had a look at your profile and I think your experience and training has served you well. It speaks a lot in your process and details.

We stay on site for long periods of time. It gets to you sometimes, but the upside is we get to move from project to project.

Did you try selling Arch related stuff before on Fiverr? Seems like it’s a growing niche.

system. One day if i have a child who wants to be an architect, i will send that child to top of the highest mountain to meditate for years and get enlightened.

At least you get to apply those design skills and a trained eye into your illustrations. I had a look at your profile and I think your experience and training has served you well. It speaks a lot in your process and details.

We stay on site for long periods of time. It gets to you sometimes, but the upside is we get to move from project to project.

Did you try selling Arch related stuff before on Fiverr? Seems like it’s a growing niche.

Thank you, that is correct. My education helps me with tihs.

Well that is kinda different to apply. Each country Has its own rules and construction standarts. Its hard to adapt that. You really have to get in on it to do good stuff (And i dont want to just do half-ass project drawing stuff). Also while working in the site for years, i do not really have sharp project drawing expertise anymore. I forgot how to use those programs many years ago.

And to be honest, i dont want to do archtiecture when i get home. At least i do not feel tired while doing illustrations.

Archived