Being asked to tip

bh39302

I ordered a gig recently and the work was good and what I wanted. However, I then got a message saying “THANKS YOU SEE I DESERVE A TIP HOPE TO WORK WITH YOU AGAIN”.

I have lots more work to do but being asked to tip has really left a bad taste in my mouth about this seller.

The gig was already more expensive than advertised on their gig as they sent it through as a custom order after asking my budget so I already wasnt sure about them but asking for a tip is surely wrong.

I know most of the people on this forum are probably sellers, but coming from England, which isnt a tipping culture, this seems really inappropriate.

I think I should just cut my losses and find someone else. What do you all think? Do you ask for tips?

I wouldn’t even dream about it.

I’ve had that happen once too, and while I wish the seller well, and it might be a “cultural thing”, I think that anyone operating on an international marketplace should be aware of such differences as far as they exist

(if they even exist, I’m not sure if it’s considered as a thing that’s okay to do in any culture, I have my doubts, just as I don’t think the failure of some people to say even as much as “hi” before coming out with whatever they want from you can be attributed to either cultural differences or language barriers).

I certainly won’t be ordering again from them, even if the deliverables were okay. There are enough sellers, from any culture, that deliver both good quality as well as an appropriate customer experience in other aspects.

This seller sounds extremely unprofessional. A seller is not allowed to ask for either a review or a tip. You can report the seller, and they will most likely end up getting a warning or be suspended.

It also seems like they possibly utilized bait-and-switch marketing as what they offered you through the inbox was more expensive than stated on their gig page. This is also against the Terms of Service.

I ordered a gig recently and the work was good and what I wanted. However, I then got a message saying “THANKS YOU SEE I DESERVE A TIP HOPE TO WORK WITH YOU AGAIN”.

I have lots more work to do but being asked to tip has really left a bad taste in my mouth about this seller.

The gig was already more expensive than advertised on their gig as they sent it through as a custom order after asking my budget so I already wasnt sure about them but asking for a tip is surely wrong.

I know most of the people on this forum are probably sellers, but coming from England, which isnt a tipping culture, this seems really inappropriate.

I think I should just cut my losses and find someone else. What do you all think? Do you ask for tips?

I fully understand you. I have more than 20k sales here on the platform, I never asked for a tip. People give a tip if they believe you deserve it. The problem here doesn’t seem to be that they asked for a tip. The issue as far as I can see is that they increased the price on purpose, asking more than what was advertised…

You are right, it’s the right way to communicate with buyers. By the way, I am a web developer on Fiverr. Let me know if I can help you.

Best Regards

I am a PRO web developer on Fiverr.

You are not a part of Fiverr Pro, you’re just level 2, this is a bit misleading don’t you think? 🙂

Thanks, everyone, I really appreciate the answers. It’s not like I don’t tip, because I do, but I would generally tip after I have had a few pieces from the same person. The person who did the work is supposedly also English, so again, from a cultural perspective, I wouldn’t expect them to ask for a tip. It’s strange, but the messages I got from them such as the one above and a few others seem to me as if they weren’t written by the same person as the work. The work was a blog post and was really good, with very few punctuation mistakes, but the messages I get from them don’t reflect that. I just have this feeling that they are possibly outsourcing the work to someone else.
I don’t think I will use them again. Thank you everyone for your input, it was really helpful.

Thanks, everyone, I really appreciate the answers. It’s not like I don’t tip, because I do, but I would generally tip after I have had a few pieces from the same person. The person who did the work is supposedly also English, so again, from a cultural perspective, I wouldn’t expect them to ask for a tip. It’s strange, but the messages I got from them such as the one above and a few others seem to me as if they weren’t written by the same person as the work. The work was a blog post and was really good, with very few punctuation mistakes, but the messages I get from them don’t reflect that. I just have this feeling that they are possibly outsourcing the work to someone else.

I don’t think I will use them again. Thank you everyone for your input, it was really helpful.

I have never asked for a tip from my buyers. It’s rude and speaks negatively of my character. If a buyer tips, then great. If not, then it is what it is. More important to me than tips actually is the repeat service. If a buyer likes my work, I’d rather them buy my services again before the tip… but that’s just me.

but the messages I got from them such as the one above and a few others seem to me as if they weren’t written by the same person as the work. The work was a blog post and was really good, with very few punctuation mistakes, but the messages I get from them don’t reflect that. I just have this feeling that they are possibly outsourcing the work to someone else.

Go with your instinct here. You’re probably right. And, this begs the question, what happens if the person you hire for a second time is unable to reach that same person for the work? What kind of blog post would you get then?

Good luck.

You have to report that seller, don’t just report the message. Just create a support ticket and mention it. these people are not supposed to sell on the platform which will get a bad reputation for all the sellers who’re selling and for the overall platform over time.

Tips or reviews are something that has to be given in the buyers’ own favor, Sellers shouldn’t have anything to do with that, even to bias a buyer to do that. Asking for a tip is really unprofessional., not only in England but in any country.

You have to report that seller, don’t just report the message. Just create a support ticket and mention it. these people are not supposed to sell on the platform which will get a bad reputation for all the sellers who’re selling and for the overall platform over time.

Tips or reviews are something that has to be given in the buyers’ own favor, Sellers shouldn’t have anything to do with that, even to bias a buyer to do that. Asking for a tip is really unprofessional., not only in England but in any country.

Thank you. I have reported them. It just seems wrong to me. Ive used Fiverr for many years and never had to report anyone before, but it is what it is.

This was the reply I just got from Fiverr. Cant say its amazing to be honest.
First, I’ll copy my support ticket request in so you can see what I wrote. Fiverr didnt even address the fact that I think they are outsourcing or about the different costs to what was on the gig. Im a bit disappointed with Fiverr support on this.

I was a bit annoyed to get a message from this seller after the gig was completed. The message said “THANKS YOU SEE I DESERVE A TIP HOPE TO WORK WITH YOU AGAIN”.
I shouldn’t be asked or coerced into tipping. I tip when I want to.
The amounts on the gig were also different from what they wanted from me. They asked me what my budget was for the job, then suggested an amount higher than what was already on their gig and so I agreed to it and they sent through a custom order.
I also get the feeling from this seller that they may be outsourcing the work. The message about the tip and the original messages I got from them are so different from the actual work, which was good.
For someone who hasn’t been with fiverr long, I don’t think they are a good match for you.

This is the response from Fiverr.

Thank you for letting us know and bringing this to our attention.

Once an order is marked as complete and a positive review is left of three stars and above, you will have the option to leave a tip for the seller. The tip option will stay open for seven days after the order is complete.

This is optional, and you have no obligation to provide it. Even it is not usual to request a tip; it is not against our Terms of Service or illegal. That is sellers’ bad business behavior and lack of business ethics.

We make changes every day and try to create a much safer and pleasant environment for our users, so any suggestion is more than welcome.

I hope this was helpful. We are here if you need any further assistance.

This was the reply I just got from Fiverr. Cant say its amazing to be honest.

First, I’ll copy my support ticket request in so you can see what I wrote. Fiverr didnt even address the fact that I think they are outsourcing or about the different costs to what was on the gig. Im a bit disappointed with Fiverr support on this.

I was a bit annoyed to get a message from this seller after the gig was completed. The message said “THANKS YOU SEE I DESERVE A TIP HOPE TO WORK WITH YOU AGAIN”.

I shouldn’t be asked or coerced into tipping. I tip when I want to.

The amounts on the gig were also different from what they wanted from me. They asked me what my budget was for the job, then suggested an amount higher than what was already on their gig and so I agreed to it and they sent through a custom order.

I also get the feeling from this seller that they may be outsourcing the work. The message about the tip and the original messages I got from them are so different from the actual work, which was good.

For someone who hasn’t been with fiverr long, I don’t think they are a good match for you.

This is the response from Fiverr.

Thank you for letting us know and bringing this to our attention.

Once an order is marked as complete and a positive review is left of three stars and above, you will have the option to leave a tip for the seller. The tip option will stay open for seven days after the order is complete.

This is optional, and you have no obligation to provide it. Even it is not usual to request a tip; it is not against our Terms of Service or illegal. That is sellers’ bad business behavior and lack of business ethics.

We make changes every day and try to create a much safer and pleasant environment for our users, so any suggestion is more than welcome.

I hope this was helpful. We are here if you need any further assistance.

That is sellers’ bad business behavior and lack of business ethics.

Therefore, don’t work with the seller who displays bad business behavior and lack of business ethics again. Block them immediately and find someone else to work with. Anyone who fixes their mouth to ask for a tip doesn’t deserve your business, period.

“THANKS YOU SEE I DESERVE A TIP HOPE TO WORK WITH YOU AGAIN”.

I’m a regular seller in Architectural Category but, sometimes I use the buying option to get assistant with other skills talents and I had experienced with similar to this message. This looks very unprofessional and irrelevent. Because Fiverr automatically already pushing for an amount of percentage for a tip to the seller after I accept the order. If the buyer gets satisfied with the service he received, and if clients agree, this tipping process can be done automatically. But, if the seller asks for this, just avoid his message.

Maximum of the time, the seller saves some pre-made delivery message template and they just paste the message with all their deliveries. Just avoid any additional message or request with the delivery.

the fact is about professionalism and unprofessionalism.

Do you ask for tips?

NEVER! How uncouth!! I am from the U.S. and it is also inappropriate here to ask for tips. Sure, you go out to dinner and expect to give a gratuity to the server, or your hairdresser etc - but, on Fiverr, it is a GLOBAL community, so, what may fly in one country, can be seen as “begging” in another.

It was really unprofessional for this seller to tell you what a great job they did, so now you need to TIP them. Gross.

Besides, I think when you complete or accept the order, Fiverr prompts you for feedback and also has a nudge if you would like to also tip your seller.

Do NOT tip them unless you want to!

GG

Archived