Freelance Concept Artist and Illustrator Experienced on Fiverr

dannykojima1

After been away from Fiverr forum and Fiverr platform for few days to finished up the commission artwork for a client (on DeviantArt) who doesn’t have Fiverr account. So that’s why I’m taking my time away from the forum to finished the artwork for theirs’ music track they needed. And but I’m little bit struggled to catch up with trying to finish some new artwork my gig previews sample update.

However, I won’t be sharing any more post promotion on the forum, since I realized it just pointless for me, and waste of times to do so. At least, I’m glad I had shared enough of my art with you all fellow sellers on the forum, folks.

Anyway, now I’m back. Just for a bit. At least, I managed to find my time logged onto the forum and find info on search bar to reads and navigate the site, and of course, getting to know more about Fiverr. Honestly, I still feel like a newbie on the site though… and it make me feel little silly.

Okay, enough for now. I would like to share about being a freelance artist and independent freelance concept artist on Fiverr platform and offline. I know Fiverr platform is different than most freelance sites I have used such Upwork and Freelancer (for 2 years), but couldn’t beat Fiverr anyway. That’s why I have deactivated my Upwork and Freelancer. Now I have non of freelance accounts, excepted Fiverr, of course.

Let’s talks about what the artist should or should not do when create concept artwork and illustration for movie, game, music and book for buyers on Fiverr. First things, gigs do have the delivery dates (forgot how many days) you can set your delivery to the buyers from all over the world (small business owners). The first things I would like to thinks about Revision. Yes, I mean the “Unlimited Revision” that I wouldn’t want to set all of my packages as Unlimited Revision for many different reasons, whether for good or bad buyers.

Being new on Fiverr can be very complicated and gave me a little bit headache too, because I didn’t know what “gig” is all about! After submitted my W-9. Then, “Horray!” here I go, and created my first gig – but a month later, I received several messages from most buyers who went quiets after I replied to their message (which is marked as spam by Fiverr). I was confused and didn’t know what with all the “It will not affect your response rate.” But now I get it. But of course, some buyers also asked to work outside of the platform which I didn’t agreed to, and just ignored it, so did Fiverr marked their message as mark and no longer to be contact. I find it odd when I visited their profile which is no longer available. I guess probably they were banned from the site! Well, that’s the good things, right?

Fiverr is still a strange world to me as a freelance concept artist and illustrator as I entered, and I feel like Fiverr is having my back! So I can create artwork for buyers on the platform as many as I want when they placed an order on one of the gig depending on which they likes: Basic, Standard and Premium. That’s why I feel like I’m my own boss, because I can set my own “Revision” rules instead of Unlimited. It feel great to have Fiverr have your back if I encounter any bad buyers and trying to take advantage of the “Unlimited Revisions”. But thankfully I had never had bad experienced with any buyers who bought artwork from my gigs.

After taking my time reading on the forum. I discovered something on Fiverr why being an artist on Fiverr is much better than being independent freelance illustrator or concept artist when do commission for clients on Facebook, DeviantArt, Artstation or Behance. Well, here’s why:

• Fiverr CS have your back if you have been scam by bad buyers. Unlike DeviantArt, Behance and Artstation. These sites, you can’t do anything about it once you were been take advantage of after delivered the artwork to buyers, then poof. Gone. That’s why I like the idea that Fiverr hold the money until you finish the job to the buyers, then the money will be transfer into your Fiverr balance! DeviantArt do have balance too, but it is not as safe as Fiverr security. So, social medias don’t have security! Once you got ripped off: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, DeviantArt, Behance and Artstation can’t do nothing about it.
  • If a seller failed to deliver the finish artwork to the buyers. Then of course the seller’s account will… I mean, I don’t know what to tell you. Of course, many so-called artists on DeviantArt usually get away with delivered unfinished art to clients there. Believe or not, the DeviantArt forum is full of a mess! I’ve seen it enough. There is nothing a clients could do after complaining on the DeviantArt forum about being ripped off by bogus artist! And so the clients couldn’t disputed for their money back once the sellers deactivate his/her DeviantArt account! That’s why it safe on Fiverr as a seller. I understand many sellers ranting on the forum how they got ripped off by buyers, or buyers got ripped off by fake seller (artist) on Fiverr. That’s why Fiverr would take action once buyers/sellers contact them. So, DeviantArt and any other art sites doesn’t have the detection system as Fiverr had on the platform which designed to ban users who has more than 1 account.

What was the different about creating artwork for big film, music, book and game company between Artstation, DeviantArt and Fiverr?

1. Character design and concept art on Artstation - The first thing is deadline! Of course, no one like deadline and it is artist’s worst enemy of all! Every movie company have their own deadline: Month and Date to get the artwork done on time! Sometime the client will ask for change of the character design no matter how many times until they drain your energy while staying for the whole night trying to get the painting or drawing done!
  2. DeviantArt - You are free to sell your art prints as many as you like, unless you paid for the Core membership to be able to sell your art on DeviantArt! That’s why it’s suck for artists who couldn’t afford a monthly payment to be able to sell their artwork. So they rely on their fans to pay a Core Membership for them!
  3. Artists on Fiverr - Any artists can create artwork for buyers as they want! As long as it is not stolen art, plagiarism or used copyrighted artwork on the gigs!

Overall, Fiverr beat every single one of them. I understand most of my fellow artists doesn’t want to do business on Fiverr with their artwork. Well, here is why they preferred DeviantArt other than Artstation, Fiverr and Behance.

1. They can set their price up to $100 up to $900, depend how long the artwork took them to completed! Of course, fans and art buyers even bought it!
  2. Artist can set their price as much as small as $2.99 for trading card style artwork for single character. Thought they sell the package of 10 piece character card artwork for $19.99. So people pay to download them with each copies. Similar to how you buy and download music on iTune or Apple music! However, there is no guarantee you as an artist can earn enough a months by selling your art on there depend on your artistic skills and creativity that catch attention from your fans and followers on DeviantArt! That’s why some artist get gift from fans buying them Core Membership all the time.

And again, working as a freelance artist is not easy as you may think; depending on your skills and how you create artwork for clients, and art buyers, and writers on the freelance site. Remember, Fiverr has rules. And you must prepare and plan something to achieve the goal as a talented and skills artist. Of course, it is not easy when you’re a new seller on Fiverr platform. You will get used to the site. So… Good luck with your freelancing, fellow artists!

-Danny

783133435_PutOnAHappyFace.jpg.639ac961bda44dc0e51a906c20ccf9e9.jpg
Put On A Happy Face490×646 156 KB

“Marilyn Maddona - Gotham” DC Comics (fanart) portrait concept artwork painting by Danny Kojima

Archived