Why you should never use "out of office"

• 3 months later...

Agreed, been saying this for a few years now. Just use pricing / delivery times to control order flow. Don't want to get orders for a few days? Increase delivery times. Don't want to get orders fro an extended period of time? Jack up the prices to the point where nobody will order.

• Like 2
  • Up 1

On 5/15/2021 at 1:38 AM, smashradio said:

When working on Fiverr, you’re spending time ranking and improving your gig, constantly doing everything you can to get work and stay visible.

But sometimes, we have to take a step back and chill for a few days.

TL;DR: When going away, instead of using “out of office”, extend your delivery time so that no orders are due while you’re gone. This is an alternative to avoid the negative effects of using “out of office”, like drops in ranking, visibility and response rate, but it requires you to still respond to messages while you’re away.

1541556050_Copyoflasraices(6).thumb.jpg.f28ae5f06e5ce45dd18f54396fc2f3ac.jpg
Cute cats! We love cute cats!1000×630 113 KB

(Photo: Envato Elements)

So what do most sellers do when they need a few days off?

They activate “out of office” mode – (now called "set availability on your profile page, but for the sake of this post I’m gonna keep calling it “out of office”) hoping that their gig will survive being out of search and out of sight for a few days.

When they get back and deactivate out of office-mode it’s time for the wait. Waiting for the gig to get back in search, orders to start rolling in…

After a few days with no orders, it’s easy to start to worry that you might have lost your ranking.

alternative.JPG.85e3b2b75dac0dc2cef8ffd51f797b81.JPG
Set your availability437×548 21.2 KB

(You can use out of office, or not. There is an alternative.)

Bit by bit, your gig will probably begin to pick itself up again, but I’ve experienced drops lasting as long as two weeks after deactivating “out of office” before.

So I decided to look for alternatives way back when the mode was called “vacation mode”.

What I’ve learned might sound a bit complicated at first, but it works, and you don’t even have to touch the “out of office”-button!

It’s not a magical solution because one of the reasons why your gig ranking will drop is that you’re not active on Fiverr; you’re not responding to messages, delivering gigs or receiving reviews.

With this solution, you still need to respond to buyers, but you don’t have to do any actual gig deliveries while you’re away. Keep that in mind.

Here’s what I do when I need time off from Fiverr, without touching the “out of office”-button and without having my gigs disappearing from search:

A couple of days before I want to take some time off, I increase the delivery time on all my gigs.

I normally deliver within 24 hours on most orders, so I increase my delivery time so that any order rolling in just before I leave will not run out of time before the day after I come back.

I then adjust this time as needed, based on the amount of work I get.

541272847_Copyoflasraices(7).thumb.jpg.4a634bc761b41422433e0595fe83a488.jpg
Delivery time1000×630 28.5 KB

(Increasing your delivery time is easy. Just edit your gig and mange the delivery time according to your time off.)

You can do the same with custom offers (in fact, most of my orders are from custom offers, so they are easy to adapt).

Just make sure to give yourself enough time to deliver all the work when you get back.

If your delivery time is longer, let’s say five days, you would need to start earlier by changing your delivery time to 5 days + the number of days you’re gone, plus some time to finish the gig when you get back.

Just make sure to plan it out properly so that you still have time to finish all orders when you’re back.
If you’re using this method and you offer extra fast delivery on your gigs, make sure to turn it off. I forgot once, and it hurt. :rofl:

I also recommend adding a note to your gig descriptions, explaining that your delivery time isn’t usually this long and that you’re preparing to take a few days off.

You might frighten some people with such an extended delivery time, and they might not want to check your gig out again if they think your delivery time is usually this long. You can also let them know in the description that your delivery time will go back to normal on a specific date.

Here’s the message I put in my gig descriptions:

I normally deliver within 24 hours on most orders, but at the moment, I’m preparing for a few days off. Fast deliveries will be back on xx.xx.xx. Don’t hesitate to reach out with your questions!

When using this method, you still need to reply when you get messages. That’s what the app is there for. It doesn’t take long to set up a Quick Response explaining that you’re out of the office for a few days and that you’ll get back to them then.

1024572145_Copyoflasraices(8).thumb.jpg.2596f3cd8742a1fc1dd4d2718c959e8b.jpg
Quick response1000×630 29.7 KB

(Set up a quick response and make sure you respond to anyone, even when you’re on holiday. If you don’t, your response rate can go down and your ranking will drop.)

Alternatively, you can respond manually to anyone reaching out. If you’re fine doing that, this is your best option. It’s business as usual, except that you’re planning for time and making sure no gigs are due while you’re gone.

Some people will probably say that they don’t want to work while on holiday at all. And that’s fine. If you’re comfortable using “out of office” to avoid having to plan, that’s fine, too!

But in my mind, working on Fiverr is about running my own business. And when you’re running your own business, you sometimes have to work, even on your days off.

What are your thoughts on “out of office”, and what do you do to avoid difficulties when you’re taking time off? Let me know!

P.S. This method has been around for a good while, and I wasn’t the first to come up with it. That being said; I did come up with it on my own!

Thanks for sharing man 

• Like 1